Daps
I'm confused by your critique. Are you saying WW isn't flawed or she is flawed? And what is the PC checklist that went into how her character is written in this movie?

let me see if I can explain.

Tiny Stark was a rich jackass and jerk who didn't care what his weapons were doing to the world until he nearly died and had to face the reality outside of his ivory tower.

Captain America had heart but he was 90 lbs soaking wet and had to become a test subject to even be taken seriously and then even after he was Captain America, no one took him serious until he proved himself.

Thor was an arrogant foolish prince with no humility and his dad humbled him by taking his power and sending him to earth to let him live that hard knock life till he got his head on straight.

I mean... I can keep going here if you need me to.

What adversity has WW faced? Like breh said, the pc writers are so gung-ho on pushing this women empowerment angle and going "women are strong, see" that they miss the essence of what makes folks want to watch heroes.

Nobody wants to see a hero win all the time. We want to see a hero that has flaws, selfishness, too much vengeance, physical limitations and then overcome that.

Why? Because thats who we as viewers are. We are flawed and superheroes at their essence are meant to inspire ppl to be better. How do they inspire us? By facing the same challenges we face but in a fictional way and then overcoming those challenges. That gives us hope that we can overcome the challenges that we face in our personal lives.

@El Negro Suave tell me if I have any of this wrong.

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
let me see if I can explain.

Tiny Stark was a rich jackass and jerk who didn't care what his weapons were doing to the world until he nearly died and had to face the reality outside of his ivory tower.

Captain America had heart but he was 90 lbs soaking wet and had to become a test subject to even be taken seriously and then even after he was Captain America, no one took him serious until he proved himself.

Thor was an arrogant foolish prince with no humility and his dad humbled him by taking his power and sending him to earth to let him live that hard knock life till he got his head on straight.

I mean... I can keep going here if you need me to.

What adversity has WW faced? Like breh said, the pc writers are so gung-ho on pushing this women empowerment angle and going "women are strong, see" that they miss the essence of what makes folks want to watch heroes.

Nobody wants to see a hero win all the time. We want to see a hero that has flaws, selfishness, too much vengeance, physical limitations and then overcome that.

Why? Because thats who we as viewers are. We are flawed and superheroes at their essence are meant to inspire ppl to be better. How do they inspire us? By facing the same challenges we face but in a fictional way and then overcoming those challenges. That gives us hope that we can overcome the challenges that we face in our personal lives.

@El Negro Suave tell me if I have any of this wrong.
You’re dead on. I’m just lost as to why this has to be explicitly articulated, when we have so many examples of well executed heroes AND heroines.

Daps
I think that was a nod to the comic. She could do that there. Same with the "invisible jet" nod.

Thor could tap a cane to the ground in the comics and it turned into mjolnir. When they eventually introduced that into the movies, they made it believable and it fit into the story

The invisible plane was forced in this movie. Didn't naturally fit into the story. Maybe if they were gonna do that, show her making the coffee cup disappear or something. Make the audience buy into it. There was no buy in for that scene.

LezJepzin

We Wavy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
50East/Sacramento, CA
Just watched it.

Tigress Pawg :takedat:

When she went full on Tiger, I thought she was trying to be a Thundercat :pachaha:

Gal was :noah: in all the scenes when she wasn't WW .

The plot didn't have to be stretched as much as it was .

When the Black Gold dude started giving everyone wishes :comeon:

Can't take Coli Militants and Marvel fanboys opinions seriously here. :duck: @ yall saying the only black guy in the film was the homeless dude when Black Gold hired a breh to be receptionist for starters. You guys really nitpick at everything non-marvel, huh?

6/10 . Would've been a better movie if it wasn't for the plot and randomly throwing WW skills in the film to satisfy comic book fans.

Lynda Carter though:ooh:

Last edited:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Who’s complaining about Storm, Wanda, or Black Widow? See you’re being disingenuous. Wanda is powerful as fukk, but her life of struggle tempers her power making her a glass cannon. Storm isn’t a planet buster, so no one has ever complained about her power level. Black Widow has no powers. She’s looked at as nothing more than a super spy. Wonder Woman (honestly only this movie) and Cpt Marvel however, no matter how they have been portrayed in comics have been done an injustice as it relates to their modern on screen adaptations. And sadly it’s a result of the PC checklist mandated by the studio heads.

What are you talking about? What PC checklist?

Talk about being disingenuous.

In the first movie Diana struggled with being a fish out water, in a new place that told her who she was and was raised to be was weird and inappropriate. She was also naive about how to bring about change. In WW84 Diana literally struggles with loneliness related to losing the love of her life and just being peerless, save for the blossoming friendship with Barbara. Then she loses her powers to Barbara and the desire to keep Steve around. There's struggle all throughout both WW movies and even a crazy amount of shared power over Diana's fate given to a man. So the argument about lack of struggle and PC is complete bullshyt.

And Captain Marvel struggled with confidence to trust her abilities and use of emotion when using her abilities. She didn't even believe she could do the shyt she can do until the last third of the film. On top of that she lost everyone close to her and her life on Earth. The movie clearly shows the impact of that cost on her sense of self and confidence, which is why she was manipulated and used by her mentor before discovering the truth. The complaints about her being overpowered and not dealing with struggle are complete shyt takes from guys who just hate Brie Larson or powerful women superheroes.

I honestly think people don't complain about the film version of Wanda because they nerfed the fukk out of her powers in the movies and she suffers from a ridiculous amount of stereotypical deference to her male colleagues, always looking to Hawkeye and Captain America for direction and judgement about what to do and how to cope. It's kinda pathetic.

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
What are you talking about? What PC checklist?

Talk about being disingenuous.

In the first movie Diana struggled with being a fish out water, in a new place that told her who she was and was raised to be was weird and inappropriate. She was also naive about how to bring about change. In WW84 Diana literally struggles with loneliness related to losing the love of her life and just being peerless, save for the blossoming friendship with Barbara. Then she loses her powers to Barbara and the desire to keep Steve around. There's struggle all throughout both WW movies and even a crazy amount of shared power over Diana's fate given to a man. So the argument about lack of struggle and PC is complete bullshyt.

And Captain Marvel struggled with confidence to trust her abilities and use of emotion when using her abilities. She didn't even believe she could do the shyt she can do until the last third of the film. On top of that she lost everyone close to her and her life on Earth. The movie clearly shows the impact of that cost on her sense of self and confidence, which is why she was manipulated and used by her mentor before discovering the truth. The complaints about her being overpowered and not dealing with struggle are complete shyt takes from guys who just hate Brie Larson or powerful women superheroes.

I honestly think people don't complain about the film version of Wanda because they nerfed the fukk out of her powers in the movies and she suffers from a ridiculous amount of stereotypical deference to her male colleagues, always looking to Hawkeye and Captain America for direction and judgement about what to do and how to cope. It's kinda pathetic.
Okay. I’m not here to change anyone’s opinion. You and I view the world through a different lens apparently. Glad you enjoyed the film.

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Just watched it.

When she went full on Tiger, I thought she was trying to be a Thundercat :pachaha:

Can't take Coli Militants and Marvel fanboys opinions seriously here. :duck: @ yall saying the only black guy in the film was the homeless dude when Black Gold hired a breh to be receptionist for starters. You guys really nitpick at everything non-marvel, huh?

6/10 . Would've been a better movie if it wasn't for the plot and randomly throwing WW skills in the film to satisfy comic book fans.

The only good thing you had to say was the women looked good and we're the militants? That's exactly what I'm saying DC dikk suckers can't point out the actual good aspects of this movie.

The receptionist was black! So 6/10. :stopitslime:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Okay. I’m not here to change anyone’s opinion. You and I view the world through a different lens apparently. Glad you enjoyed the film.

That's the thing though, while I enjoyed the movie, it was severely flawed with plot holes, shoddy character development, poor pacing, and it had a lot problematic devices. It's not a good movie, but I thought it was fun. But your critique wasn't about any of that, you blamed everything on "PC culture" and "female empowerment" without any evidence. I'm just tired of people throwing these kind of movies to the bushes just because they don't feature or cater to the default i.e. white males. When Ryan Reynolds' Green Lantern tanked people didn't blame it on the overreliance of typical white male storytelling. The gender and race critique never comes up for terrible white male led superhero flicks. Actual critique about the film itself is cool.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Just watched it.

Trash/10.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
That's the thing though, while I enjoyed the movie, it was severely flawed with plot holes, shoddy character development, poor pacing, and it had a lot problematic devices. It's not a good movie, but I thought it was fun. But your critique wasn't about any of that, you blamed everything on "PC culture" and "female empowerment" without any evidence. I'm just tired of people throwing these kind of movies to the bushes just because they don't feature or cater to the default i.e. white males. When Ryan Reynolds' Green Lantern tanked people didn't blame it on the overreliance of typical white male storytelling. The gender and race critique never comes up for terrible white male led superhero flicks. Actual critique about the film itself is cool.
Bruh people saying that because I Thats wtf it is. It was girl power, damn near EVERY man in the whole film except HERS was either a weirdo or a piece of shyt. There’s no subtlety with the writing in these movies. Always a narrative. shyt. My WIFE pointed it out with this movie. Green Lantern and the like was trash for different reasons. Those movies flaws didn’t have anything to do with a forced male narrative.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bruh people saying that because I Thats wtf it is. It was girl power, damn near EVERY man in the whole film except HERS was either a weirdo or a piece of shyt. There’s no subtlety with the writing in these movies. Always a narrative. shyt. My WIFE pointed it out with this movie. Green Lantern and the like was trash for different reasons. Those movies flaws didn’t have anything to do with a forced male narrative.

Don't white people have this complaint about "black movies"? Maybe when it's from the perspective of the minority, they're primary experiences with the other is shytty. Don't act like women don't get harassed on the street or there aren't abusive fathers. Would changing Max's abusive dad to an abusive mother made it better for you?

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
Don't white people have this complaint about "black movies"? Maybe when it's from the perspective of the minority, they're primary experiences with the other is shytty. Don't act like women don't get harassed on the street or there aren't abusive fathers. Would changing Max's abusive dad to an abusive mother made it better for you?
Who the fukk are u? Honestly. U a white woman? I gotta know before we continue this conversation.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Who the fukk are u? Honestly. U a white woman? I gotta know before we continue this conversation.

I'm a 46 year old Black woman, and I find it ironic when I see men complain about female empowerment movies when white people have similar complaints about Black movies. It's weird y'all can't see the parallels. It's almost willful blindness at this point.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
I'm a 46 year old Black woman, and I find it ironic when I see men complain about female empowerment movies when white people have similar complaints about Black movies. It's weird y'all can't see the parallels. It's almost willful blindness at this point.
No one is COMPLAINING about female empowerment movies. It’s about the WRITING. It’s too in your face and it’s corny. It’s the same issue with MIB 3. The same issue with the NEW Charlie’s Angels movie. The characters are written bad. Period. People loved the Cameron, Drew, and Lucy’s Charlie’s Angels. shyt. I even loved GI Jane. I love The Legend Of Billie Jean. Long Kiss Goodnight is one of my fav action movies of all time. Alien/Aliens, Terminator 1 and 2, Kill Bill, etc etc. And the list goes on. This is a FLAW writers have these days when they put the NARRATIVE before the writing and film. This is why TV shows are better than films at this point. It’s either a trash remake or some forced narrative bullshyt. Even the remakes are getting that treatment now and it takes away from what people actually loved about the original in the first place. It’s the same reason I can’t stand Tyler Perry movies. No subtlety in the writing. Which makes it predictable and corny. People have a problem with black movies cause they don’t like seeing black folks on screen. Don’t even compare this shyt. shyt like The Wood and The Best Man etc etc are great movies because of the writing. And because while the focus is on black people. It’s not treated like a narrative. It feels NATURAL. Either way it’s a bad comparison anyway because of the lack of black representation on film and TV especially in this day and age. 90s was the best era for minorities on film and TV.

Last edited: