Official Winning Time Season 1 Thread

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
"Winning Time" Isn’t Just Deliberately Dishonest, It’s Drearily Dull

Ive been enjoying the show but I do agree with some of Kareem's points here.

"They are caricatures, not characters."

I understand where hes coming from - the Jerry West character is super entertaining but I refuse to believe their isnt more depth to that man than just throwing a tantrum every time on screen. "Magic Johnson is Sexual Simpleton" - agreed on this as well, they have reduced Magic into some sex crazed persona and haven't made him a well rounded character. Also was Paul Westhead really this pathetic? The guy had a damn near 50 year coaching career and they have made him out to be such a fukkhead.

Again, I enjoy the show - the acting has been fantastic. I think they could have done a better job of adding depth to the characters. Pat Riley has been well done IMO
Magic is pretty well rounded imo. He’s 20 years old. How much depth was he supposed to have? The convo he has with his dad in the first episode and the convo he had with Kareem this episode shows there was much more behind the smile.

So was Kareem. He feels like he’s portrayed as a robot but from all accounts he was a dikkhead. And the show did him supreme justice a few weeks ago to explain all the shyt he’s seen and why he would be so angry. shyt, they did it again last week with that amazing scene with Magics dad.

It seems like everyone is just being sensitive that this isn’t some white washing of what really happened. My only gripe is the game results. Makes no sense when we can easily figure out what really happened. And most of the time the truth was just as compelling to the storyline.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
shyt Magic is pissed and rightfully so, that scumbag shyt they had his character pull in the last episode was legendary. Obviously it's fake but just imagine Cookie watching that shyt and asking him questions.

Love this show man, just hope they don't get to do one on the Shaq and Kobe Lakers.
Part of me thinks they’re fighting this shyt so hard because they haven’t even scratched the surface of scumbaggery… if they can get them to tone it down now they can probably save a lot of face.

kchin1977

Rookie
Daps
When Straight Outta Compton came out, there were some that were pissed Dre and Cube were able to change the narrative some to their liking. But it was their movie and they were executive producers - that was bound to happen.

With this show, to get the blessing of everyone involved would have been murder - Magic would have acted like a saint, Buss family would have had less sex escapades for Dr Buss, etc.

I can see Riley asking for his own mini-series :takedat:

HBO was never going to be able to please them

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Kareem is…not a fan of the series

"Winning Time" Isn’t Just Deliberately Dishonest, It’s Drearily Dull

Like I said it’s entertaining but some of these characterizations are downright defamations of people who are still alive and having their real life personas be ripped down to shreds has got to be insulting.

Jerry West and Paul Westhead especially should be looking to tear someone’s HEAD off

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Magic is pretty well rounded imo. He’s 20 years old. How much depth was he supposed to have? The convo he has with his dad in the first episode and the convo he had with Kareem this episode shows there was much more behind the smile.

So was Kareem. He feels like he’s portrayed as a robot but from all accounts he was a dikkhead. And the show did him supreme justice a few weeks ago to explain all the shyt he’s seen and why he would be so angry. shyt, they did it again last week with that amazing scene with Magics dad.

It seems like everyone is just being sensitive that this isn’t some white washing of what really happened. My only gripe is the game results. Makes no sense when we can easily figure out what really happened. And most of the time the truth was just as compelling to the storyline.

Honestly I think kareem is portrayed pretty accurately...an intensely private and reserved man who wanted to be seen as more than a basketball player but his personality was too off putting for most. He relates strongly with people who rebel against the system in some way (i.e Spencer Haywood). He still lived a hell of a life though.

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don’t think these old heads realized how popular the show was going to be. Kareem sound mad bitter in his article. You can trash the depictions but you can’t say the show is boring and bad he even goes out his way to shyt on the directors last movie.

Last edited:

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
Been enjoying the show, but that last episode was awful. Writing was a bit too paint-by-the-numbers. Like an R rated Disney sports movie.

Last edited:

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
Gotta give this a bit of criticism.

The last episode had almost absolutely NO BASIS WHATSOEVER in reality and I can kind of understand why the principal people the show is dramatizing would be upset at their portrayals.

You would have thought that Paul Westhead wasn’t born with a Y Chromosome the way they had him crying and sweating like a little bytch in this episode, I mean some real disrespectful almost character assassinating stuff.

Also the Lakers didn’t go on a losing streak before miraculously defeating Boston. The episode really wants the audience to think Westhead was inept with no backbone which simply isn’t true.

I get that this is a dramatization and not everything is going to be 100% truthful but good LORD straight up rewriting history just to make one man look like the most pussified punk on planet EARTH is extreme.

Agree with everything here. The exaggerated portrayals were easier to take earlier in the show because they were at least funny and entertaining. Felt like the person writing this episode read the book but never watched an NBA game in their life.

Last edited: