Official Winning Time Season 1 Thread

Daps
Ballers was just basically entourage with just athletes instead of actors. Far from depicting a football teams story.
It used real NFL teams, unlike Any Given Sunday and Playmakers, tho. Far more “detrimental” to the NFL than those two. All three were clearly fiction.

kchin1977

Rookie
Daps
If I were the Buss family/players from that era, I would be more concerned with Me Too and not HBO. All it takes is one woman to say Dr Buss did this and Magic did that and the whole ship sinks.

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It used real NFL teams, unlike Any Given Sunday and Playmakers, tho. Far more “detrimental” to the NFL than those two. All three were clearly fiction.
Oh my bad you were referring to why the NFL wouldn’t trip. I thought you meant we don’t need a dramatized version of a scandalous NFL team because of ballers

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly

But they were fictional because the NFL wouldn't let them. Sharks are allegedly the Raiders. NFL also allowed Arliss mentions which was more comedy based, but I agree with @DaddyFresh Ballers was basically Entourage - dramedy about an NFL agent. Any Given Sunday & Playmakers the focus was 100% on football...and had no intentional comedy. But in support of your point, that was also 20+ years ago. I just doubt the NFL supports authenticity of their behind the scenes activities. Hell, they supported Everybody's All-America (an 80's movie...my favorite football movie), and they supported Little Giants.

Daps
But they were fictional because the NFL wouldn't let them. Sharks are allegedly the Raiders. NFL also allowed Arliss mentions which was more comedy based, but I agree with @DaddyFresh Ballers was basically Entourage - dramedy about an NFL agent. Any Given Sunday & Playmakers the focus was 100% on football...and had no intentional comedy. But in support of your point, that was also 20+ years ago. I just doubt the NFL supports authenticity of their behind the scenes activities. Hell, they supported Everybody's All-America (an 80's movie...my favorite football movie), and they supported Little Giants.
I’m just addressing the notion that the NFL would be able to stop HBO from making such a show. I brought up Ballers because they were against it, yet couldn’t stop it.

Mark Wahlberg: Goodell, NFL owners called about 'Ballers' to say 'You can't do this'

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
The fact that you think that this is closer to the truth is all the more reason why West should take legal action. They're spitting on his name and reputation with little bearing on reality. I get it, even though I've enjoyed the show.

I said some of the stuff is closer to true not everything...we need folks who were around the team for those confirmations

individuals who are being showcased are going to protect their image so it's not always a certain thing that they're telling the truth either

fact is between Pearlman & the Laker players/personnel...the truth is somewhere in between

Boonapalist

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lakers
Honest question, in light of Jerry West’s proposed lawsuit, is there anyone who doesn’t like the character on the show? Like think he’s a bad person or a villain?
No, obviously there’s exaggeration going on. But he’s been portrayed as someone dealing with demons from his childhood. Who’s very intense, competitive extremely dedicated to making the Lakers better and has ptsd from losing to the Celtics so much.