Official Winning Time Season 1 Thread

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Gotta give this a bit of criticism.

The last episode had almost absolutely NO BASIS WHATSOEVER in reality and I can kind of understand why the principal people the show is dramatizing would be upset at their portrayals.

You would have thought that Paul Westhead wasn’t born with a Y Chromosome the way they had him crying and sweating like a little bytch in this episode, I mean some real disrespectful almost character assassinating stuff.

Also the Lakers didn’t go on a losing streak before miraculously defeating Boston. The episode really wants the audience to think Westhead was inept with no backbone which simply isn’t true.

I get that this is a dramatization and not everything is going to be 100% truthful but good LORD straight up rewriting history just to make one man look like the most pussified punk on planet EARTH is extreme.
Yea, tearing down Westhead now makes no sense. Especially when next season he gives us PLENTY of reasons to think he’s goofy. My guess is they have to get it all out the way now because they’re probably going to zip through magics second season. Like i said before, they probably combine 80/81 and the 81/82 seasons next season.

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So none of the game stuff in this episode has been accurate? :beli:

I don't buy that bullshyt with Cookie either, like she is love of Magic Johnson. She probably the only one who put up with his cheating hoeing cause she wanted that lifestyle. A regular woman would have left after the HIV diagnosis.

A Bad Boy Pistons series would be amazing and even MJ first season with the bulls. The possibilities.

It must be a trip for Norm Nixon's son. Guy grows up to be an actor who plays his dad on this tv show.
A regular woman would leave a filthy rich and
Heavily Connected person over HIV? Hell nah. She probably got her own side man and lives like a queen . Majority of woman that get with rich men is for security and lifestyle. They know their men cheat but as long as they queen they don’t care. Not only is she rich but can get a table or tickets to any popping spot in LA. None of these rich dudes are loyal to their wives. I feel like they using the games to show the narrative of the season without being able to obviously show each game.

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
A regular woman would leave a filthy rich and
Heavily Connected person over HIV? Hell nah. She probably got her own side man and lives like a queen . Majority of woman that get with rich men is for security and lifestyle. They know their men cheat but as long as they queen they don’t care. Not only is she rich but can get a table or tickets to any popping spot in LA. None of these rich dudes are loyal to their wives. I feel like they using the games to show the narrative of the season without being able to obviously show each game.

Come on breh. I don't know how long they were married/together for when he got the diagnosis. But HIV back then was like getting a death diagnosis. Just a matter of time when the reaper gets you.

What I remember was she was pregnant and they were like she has to get antiHIV drugs to protect the fetus or some shyt. It was some fukked up shyt cause Magic could have given his kid HIV.
Either she is a really strong woman or she don't give a shyt about that dude because a regular woman would not put up with her offspring being infected.

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
"Winning Time" Isn’t Just Deliberately Dishonest, It’s Drearily Dull

Ive been enjoying the show but I do agree with some of Kareem's points here.

"They are caricatures, not characters."

I understand where hes coming from - the Jerry West character is super entertaining but I refuse to believe their isnt more depth to that man than just throwing a tantrum every time on screen. "Magic Johnson is Sexual Simpleton" - agreed on this as well, they have reduced Magic into some sex crazed persona and haven't made him a well rounded character. Also was Paul Westhead really this pathetic? The guy had a damn near 50 year coaching career and they have made him out to be such a fukkhead.

Again, I enjoy the show - the acting has been fantastic. I think they could have done a better job of adding depth to the characters. Pat Riley has been well done IMO

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

:picard: Kareem went in

In an attempt to inject some social relevance, the show does some heavy-handed virtue signaling about the exploitation of women while at the same time exploiting them. Jeanie Buss was 17 when her father bought the Lakers, but she didn’t come to work for them until after she’d earned her business management degree from the University of Southern California and been general manager of the Los Angeles Strings, a World Team Tennis franchise. She wasn’t the naive daddy’s girl portrayed in the first few episodes. Making her a girl-child belittles her early achievements on her own. Having Claire Rothman unbuttoning blouse buttons and flouncing her hair before meeting Jerry Buss (which she denies ever happened) reduces her intelligence and competence for a cheap joke—which is probably the kind of misogyny the women had to endure in business and now have to endure from the filmmakers.

It’s a shame the way they treat Jerry West, who has openly discussed his struggle with mental health, especially depression. Instead of exploring his issues with compassion as a way to better understand the man, they turn him into a Wile E. Coyote cartoon to be laughed at. He never broke golf clubs, he didn’t throw his trophy through the window. Sure, those actions make dramatic moments, but they reek of facile exploitation of the man rather than exploration of character.

Another scene that never happened is Norm Nixon humiliating Magic at a party by outplaying him one-on-one. I could just imagine the writers gleefully rubbing their hands together in self-congratulations at coming up with that idea. The problem is that it’s another soap opera moment that shows no understanding of the dynamics of players and how they interact.

The Kareem of It All
I’ve battled leukemia, heart surgery, cancer, fire, and racism—a negative portrayal of me on a TV show has no effect on me personally. But it does affect others. For example, I never said “F—k off” to the child actor (Ross Harris) in Airplane!, nor have I ever said that to any child. I realize this was a shorthand way of showing my perceived aloofness during that time, even though I have often spoken about my intense, almost debilitating shyness. Sometimes the attention in public became so overwhelming I shut down to protect my sanity. The filmmakers had access to that information, but truth and insight were not on their agenda. Shocking moments were.

There is a victim here, it’s just that it’s not me. My charity the Skyhook Foundation, provides week-long retreats for inner-city school children to study science while staying in the national forest. For years, I have been visiting schools to promote STEM education. But when people see this show and come away with an impression that I’m verbally abusive to children, they are less likely to support my foundation. That means fewer kids will be able to partake in the program. So Adam McKay is giving those kids a great big “F—k off!” that lasts a lot longer than the easy laugh he got out of a dishonest joke.

:damn:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem

:picard: Kareem went in

:damn:

Mostly just the type of nitpicks i expect from a persn whom a story or book has been written about without their input. For most part he just needs to accepts the fact that while he may have just been shy people might have interpreted it as aloofness and thats how it reflects in the series. Same for most of the other characters....most of them.

The Jerry West portrayal is borderline slanderous though. It's one thing interpreting someone being quiet as aloof rather than shy, but to turn a dude who in real life was mostly serious and composed into a raging tantrum monster is low. Also the "fukk off kid." is a pretty provocative action/statement to make of someone too if they didn't do that in real life. Coming from you own presective is fine but tying these real people to stuff that might garner them backlash that they have nothing to do with is also low.

That said i still very much enjoy this series, and i am taking it as a work of fiction first and foremost. If magic came out and said he never cheated on cookie, i'm not going to say i know different because i watched winning time.

puggle

Superstar
Daps
I don't think the show's trying to be some super factual account of the events that happened, I mean how many breaking the fourth wall stuff do you need to see to know that they're very much taking liberties with what happened. It's trying to be entertaining first which I think they're doing a good job of and the real life factual stuff is secondary. Now if the show truly managed to juggle both of those things, it would be one of the all time greats and this show's well short of that but being entertaining is good enough for me.

Yayo Toure

Mighty Man City
Supporter
Daps
The only ones that should be pissed are Jerry West and Paul Westhead

They got Jerry lookin like a rage monster and got Westhead lookin like a clueless titty baby

But ITS A DRAMATIZATION

No shyt, its not totally accurate and i dont care as long as its not all just completely made up

shyt Magic is pissed and rightfully so, that scumbag shyt they had his character pull in the last episode was legendary. Obviously it's fake but just imagine Cookie watching that shyt and asking him questions.

Love this show man, just hope they don't get to do one on the Shaq and Kobe Lakers.