Official Winning Time Season 1 Thread

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
Magics parents you got to keep in mind were a product of their time. They were born around the same time as my grandparents. Very hardworking hardscrabble Christians only 3 or 4 generations removed from slavery. These people were just happy to have the basics and see their children grow into maturity.

Magics mom loved him to death but she was correct in worrying that he have something beyond basketball professionlly and his growth as a person. We have the gift if hindsight but Magic was a kid who could have had his career cut short with a bad stroke of luck.
Also take into consideration the time period. The NBA and sports in general wasn't like it is now. If this was in 1999, 2009, or 2019, instead of 1979, I'm certain the parents reaction in particular the mother, would totally be different.

Last edited:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Damn that was some foul shyt Magic did to Cookie's boyfriend. I mean in the end Magic got her but that was foul as fukk! :picard:

mr steal ya girl

magic-johnson-yeaboy.gif

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
Why Magic do shoe store buddy like that :mjcry:

Then took his bytch :mjcry:

Did this really happen??? :mjcry:

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
The crossdresser's mom? :mjlol:
Nah. EJ is him and cookies son. He has an older son from another woman (i don’t think she’s the one portrayed on the show unless they did a loosely based on thing) and an adopted daughter.

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
She clearly didn't ask for the tub though, so who did he buy it for? She was content with what she had, and there's nothing wrong with that either. She wasn't impressed with all if the extra stuff, she was happy with him being himself and accomplishing what he did.
He said she used to talk about that tub everytime the commercial came on. That’s why he got it. For her. And she wasn’t happy with him being himself. That’s why his father had to step in and tell her to be. She was a typical, overly religious parent that was doing all the same shyt they are trying to demonize their child for. His father made sure to tell her that as well.
:camby:

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
What's not in it that they've shown so far?

A lot really. For one, Donald Sterling fronted Buss a lot of the money he needed to buy the team. I think he bought a couple buildings off him for the cash needed. The dinner Magic had with Buss and Cooke happened like that. And him partying with Jerry is true but there werent any details of what happened. Just that drugs were present but Magic never partook. The Norm/Magic one on one wasn’t in the book but apparently it really happened. All the Magic shyt at home was for tv. So was all the Red Auerobach stuff.

I already touched on the Jerry West stuff.

BlackAchilles

Veteran
Daps
Also take into consideration the time period. The NBA and sports in general wasn't like it is now. If this was I'm 1999, 2009, or 2019, instead of 1979, I'm certain the parents reaction in particular the mother, would totally be different.

Yeah that's something that might be lost on younger ppl; Magics generation was the one that made pro ballers superstars like that

Also now I'm confused about the shows timeline: I thought it was about the whole era but we're about to start episode 3 and Magic had yet to play a game

Sohh_lifted

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A lot really. For one, Donald Sterling fronted Buss a lot of the money he needed to buy the team. I think he bought a couple buildings off him for the cash needed. The dinner Magic had with Buss and Cooke happened like that. And him partying with Jerry is true but there werent any details of what happened. Just that drugs were present but Magic never partook. The Norm/Magic one on one wasn’t in the book but apparently it really happened. All the Magic shyt at home was for tv. So was all the Red Auerobach stuff.

I already touched on the Jerry West stuff.

Artemus Gordon on IG denies that ever happened. Give him a follow and after the episodes hell confirm what did or didn't happened.