Official Winning Time Season 1 Thread

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
nah bruh..he has a regular son that was born out of wedlock lol..he was born in the early 80s

that one is straight as an arrow and is continuing his bloodline
He'll never admit it, but this lessens Magic's hidden disappointment of his other son's lifestyle.

Magic probably figures, "At least I have as least one straight son to carry the family name" :whew::obama:

Daps
The pacing is really slow. I get why in that they want to develop Magic and Logo as humans, but Cookie and Magic's relationship is the least interesting thing about this show. If it had any real insight other than "Magic is a young dude who can't really commit," it would be something else. I think the potential of that relationship is how she sticks by him once they're married and he gets the HIV diagnosis, so I get to an extent that they're setting up for that down the road two or three seasons from now.

But on the other hand, we haven't even hit training camp or Jack McKinney getting hired yet, and it's been two full episodes.

The other issue is that means this episode had no Norm Nixon. Every episode needs more Norm Nixon.

I forgot to mention: HBO also optioned Jeff Pearlman's other book about the Kobe/Shaq/Phil Lakers called Three-Ring Circus. Looks like they're going to make a show out of that, possibly.

HBO could produce show on Lakers stars Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal - Sports Illustrated

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
The pacing is really slow. I get why in that they want to develop Magic and Logo as humans, but Cookie and Magic's relationship is the least interesting thing about this show. If it had any real insight other than "Magic is a young dude who can't really commit," it would be something else. I think the potential of that relationship is how she sticks by him once they're married and he gets the HIV diagnosis, so I get to an extent that they're setting up for that down the road two or three seasons from now.

But on the other hand, we haven't even hit training camp or Jack McKinney getting hired yet, and it's been two full episodes.

The other issue is that means this episode had no Norm Nixon. Every episode needs more Norm Nixon.

I forgot to mention: HBO also optioned Jeff Pearlman's other book about the Kobe/Shaq/Phil Lakers called Three-Ring Circus. Looks like they're going to make a show out of that, possibly.

HBO could produce show on Lakers stars Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal - Sports Illustrated

i hope they don’t cause holy shyt does Kobe come off bad in that one. It’s a cross between sadness and second hand embarrassment.

Funny enough, there were ALOT of parallels between Kobe and Magic having read the books back to back.

Sbp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans

It sure is

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Magic's pimp hand is skrong
full

Red Auerbach's arrogance is on 20 :pachaha:

Has Jerry West sued HBO yet the portrayal of him is wild :mjlol:

Last edited:

klutch2381

A Doctor of Love
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you think you're lonely now, ohhh girl...
It sure is

I agree 1000%. I feel like this show works way better when it’s Laker/basketball-centric. I can’t get geeked off of wholly made up scenarios like Magic telling ol’ boy he’s fukked Cookie’s soul before :comeon:. Without looking, I know a white person wrote some shyt like that. Hopefully, the rest of the series is more like episode one.

CROM

Pray. I will not listen, but I will laugh at you
Daps
Reppin
Valhalla

I get the Magic and Cookie stuff. She may be the real reason Magic didn’t go off the rails when he contracted the HIV virus. I am curious as to the casting of Cookie. Actress is nice, but looks nothing like Cookie. Now the Kobe/Shaq/ Phil stuff…honestly doesn’t move the needle for me at all, and its mostly because their issues seemed like pubescent behavior. Plus, I don’t find Shaq the slightest bit interesting.

Daps
I get the Magic and Cookie stuff. She may be the real reason Magic didn’t go off the rails when he contracted the HIV virus. I am curious as to the casting of Cookie. Actress is nice, but looks nothing like Cookie. Now the Kobe/Shaq/ Phil stuff…honestly doesn’t move the needle for me at all, and its mostly because their issues seemed like pubescent behavior. Plus, I don’t find Shaq the slightest bit interesting.

Shaq does come off as a dude with no depth to him. Kobe, Magic, especially Kareem, come off as guys who were interesting even if you didn't talk to them about ball. Shaq definitely comes off like outside of talking about ball, it would be like talking to a frat boy.

Though the thing I like the most about that book/story is the work it takes to manage egos that are easily bruised. I think that's the core of the whole thing that makes it interesting, but YMMV.

Daps
i hope they don’t cause holy shyt does Kobe come off bad in that one. It’s a cross between sadness and second hand embarrassment.

Funny enough, there were ALOT of parallels between Kobe and Magic having read the books back to back.

I started reading this again, and Kobe is presented as young and dumb, but also out of place because he was thoughtful and poised in some ways because of his experience growing up in another country that most kids don't have. He clearly comes off as working hard to fit into the ideas of what a young black man should be like instead of being comfortable with who he actually was. That makes him relatable to me personally, and a show about him should play that up because it explains a lot about him and how his unique upbringing made him complex.

The other character thread is that he clearly had that sort of MJ-level mentality and intensity that a lot of geniuses had. Early on, the book makes it clear that Kobe had the drive to be great at whatever he did. It could have been as a scientist or a businessman or an artist if he chose that, he just happened to choose basketball. I feel like most viewers admire that. Thing about Kobe is that post-NBA, he was able to let it go and start becoming great in other areas, which shows his level of maturity once he got older and relaxed, and is one of the biggest tragedies of his passing.

Yeah, he was crazy, but he was young and he was unusually driven. A good show will hopefully handle that properly.

Then again, with how this show portrays Jerry West, maybe we need new writers to handle the complexity of Kobe.