Official Winning Time Season 1 Thread

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
I know this is a highly fictionalized but from what i’ve know about Magic/Cookie’s relationship he didn’t have to do much “Chasing” of Cookie. SHE was chasing him for years until she got that ring

Exactly. That is what I thought too. She looked the other way, when it came to certain things. :sas1:

And probably still does. :sas2:

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Magics parents you got to keep in mind were a product of their time. They were born around the same time as my grandparents. Very hardworking hardscrabble Christians only 3 or 4 generations removed from slavery. These people were just happy to have the basics and see their children grow into maturity.

Magics mom loved him to death but she was correct in worrying that he have something beyond basketball professionlly and his growth as a person. We have the gift if hindsight but Magic was a kid who could have had his career cut short with a bad stroke of luck.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Hopefully. I don’t think that upbringing isn’t without value as a child but as an adult it’s a hinderance.

Think of all the folks that ain’t as obviously prodigiously talented and bold like Magic that were held back from chasing their dreams because of conservative ass parents like this.

I think it was moreso their way of keeping you grounded. It was never meant as a way of keeping you from your dreams but only to serve as a reminder to not forget the values that were instilled in you. The one scene where Cookie is talking to him, she is telling him that they're so much alike, and even though she's that hard on him, she parades him off to the world. Honestly, I think I've seen more of parents pushing kids towards things they were talented in, but not passionate about...to show them about dedication and being hardworking towards their goals. "You want to join the team, fine, but you're gonna keep your grades at honor roll Lever and go to every practice, and stay on the team for the entire season."

As an adult, you don't have to listen or obey, just take it as advice...unsolicited advice.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
That sounds good to a point, but a lot of times these parents wind up pushing their kids away because of that "structure and values". Magic gets drafted and she immediately shyts on it, he bought her a tub to surprise her and the first thing she doe is complain about it. That keeping someone humble or grounded wears thin after a while, especially when that person has enough pressure of carrying a whole franchise.

She clearly didn't ask for the tub though, so who did he buy it for? She was content with what she had, and there's nothing wrong with that either. She wasn't impressed with all if the extra stuff, she was happy with him being himself and accomplishing what he did.

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
She clearly didn't ask for the tub though, so who did he buy it for? She was content with what she had, and there's nothing wrong with that either. She wasn't impressed with all if the extra stuff, she was happy with him being himself and accomplishing what he did.
She didn’t ask for it but she definitely wanted it. Magic mentioned how much she liked the commercial and later she was bragging to her friends about it. She didn’t want to blow his head up. It’s exactly like Cookie told him about how his mom was all ‘Earvin this and Earvin that” to everyone but Magic.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
That sounds good to a point, but a lot of times these parents wind up pushing their kids away because of that "structure and values". Magic gets drafted and she immediately shyts on it, he bought her a tub to surprise her and the first thing she does is complain about it. That keeping someone humble or grounded wears thin after a while, especially when that person has enough pressure of carrying a whole franchise.

Uhhhhh did we all forget that all of Magic’s bullshyt ends with him contracting HIV?!?! Perhaps he should have actually LISTENED to his parents more instead of thinking he was some invincible God…

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
“I don’t want to be Michigan’s tallest garbage man” was some real ass shyt in the first episode. I love the dynamic between Magic and his family in the first 2 episodes. I think the chick he kept smashing in the car is his first baby moms.
The crossdresser's mom? :mjlol:

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
Loving the show so far but the 4th wall breaking gets very annoying. The casting for Jerry Buss and Magic Johnson is ON POINT!

A lot of this was before my time (I was born in the early 80s but don't remember much. 90s was my time with MJ) but I'm loving this show!

Last edited: