Official Winning Time Season 1 Thread

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
I really like the show but I wonder how Jerry West feels about being portrayed as a bitter alcoholic psycho.

But yea the casting is spot on. I didn't realize how much John C Reilly looks like Jerry.

The kid that plays Magic is spot on he has the swag down pat. Dude was proto LeBron James.

Even the actor that plays Kareem is spot on even the giant mitts.

But yea very entertaining even if my dad was a Celtics fan.

Kareem and Magic were like 2 of the earliest sports stars I can remember growing up.
JW has always been candid about his past, so I'm certain he is ok with this....and even gave the green light before filming.

Besides, you can see his transformation starting to develop.

He already accepted the fact that coaching is not for him and that it was making him even more miserable....so he took a proactive stance.

We'll see a more milder version of The Logo in his new position as General Manager.....which became his true calling.

The Villain

Superstar
Daps
My wife and I were watching this and I was telling her that I don’t think black parents like that exist anymore. Like the super hard line, military or Christian folks who can’t see the bigger picture
Hopefully. I don’t think that upbringing isn’t without value as a child but as an adult it’s a hinderance.

Think of all the folks that ain’t as obviously prodigiously talented and bold like Magic that were held back from chasing their dreams because of conservative ass parents like this.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
The Red and Buss stuff is where most of the liberties have been but people have to remember it's still a TV show..

-Facts are Red certainly felt Boston was untouchable and L.A. was just a lil bro.. because for all those years they were and Red was a fiery competitive guy and arrogant about his place in the game

-Red probably didn't believe a guy.. in this case Dr. Buss would be in it to really win and even understand the game at all...

-Did the Dr. Buss and Red face to face meetings ever happen? Doubt they happened in that way. Red was probably at the owners conference i'd have to research that but the point is nobody really cares about the Boston owner at that time.. he's about to swap franchises so he can move the Clips out to San Diego..

-My best guess is maybe Red said some sh-t in passing or it was understood how he felt.. but again it's a TV show and Red was the Celts. Nobody cared about the actual owner.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Jerry West really did feel a way about losing all those games.. he really did quit as coach coming into that year and his parents really did have domestic sh-t going on.

Again.. it's a TV show so of course West probably turned up a notch here. But that's fine.

The Magic vs. Norm stuff happened.. they don't love each other and they had a rivalry in the L.A. nightlife scene that they'll probably touch on more :mjlit:

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
Hopefully. I don’t think that upbringing isn’t without value as a child but as an adult it’s a hinderance.

Think of all the folks that ain’t as obviously prodigiously talented and bold like Magic that were held back from chasing their dreams because of conservative ass parents like this.
Isiah Thomas stated that his dad hated sports and entertainment in general. He viewed it as Black people acting like puppets and sambo'ing for whites.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
“I don’t want to be Michigan’s tallest garbage man” was some real ass shyt in the first episode. I love the dynamic between Magic and his family in the first 2 episodes. I think the chick he kept smashing in the car is his first baby moms.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I really like the show but I wonder how Jerry West feels about being portrayed as a bitter alcoholic psycho.

But yea the casting is spot on. I didn't realize how much John C Reilly looks like Jerry.

The kid that plays Magic is spot on he has the swag down pat. Dude was proto LeBron James.

Even the actor that plays Kareem is spot on even the giant mitts.

But yea very entertaining even if my dad was a Celtics fan.

Kareem and Magic were like 2 of the earliest sports stars I can remember growing up.

everyone’s mad about the Jerry West depiction but I just read the Pearlman book a couple months ago in anticipation of this show and it’s not that far off from the way Pearlman wrote him. He was surly as a coach, him and Norm hated each other and he cursed a lot. Yea the show plays it up a bit but Jerry had real demons he was dealing with. He even admits in his own book that he battled with depression his whole life.