Official ‘True Detective: Night Country’ Thread | HBO

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
I know its sexist, but women shouldn't get free reign to write a show by themselves. Some of these side storylines just seem pointless. Prior getting emasculated by Danvers and his wife. Prior Sr getting catfished like an idiot. There aint one strong male character on the entire show. Navarro staring at the christmas tree in a catatonic state like a drooling idiot had me sayin "wtf did I just watch". 4 episodes in, we don't have a killer, we don't know if there's a killer, we never even seen anyone get killed. No wonder why Nic wanted to distance himself from this. I have a feeling this ice cave bullshyt with its prehistoric whale bones and fissures is about to be some of the worst television I've ever seen.

I ain't finna go this far 😂 but I do wanna know what happened to this prodigy or whatever praise Issa Lopez was being lathered wit---like where is that at for the mfs who seen the Tigers Ain't Afraid shyt everybody was hyping when she was announced as new show runner?

I see some potential cuz again, this ain't just the worst show ever or anything but I'm not seeing what all those reviewers was talmbout.

And again, to also be fair, she probably was tryna do her own thing and they told her she had to slap that TD on it, now she gon catch that smoke lol

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Haven't watched episode 4 yet, but you kinda know something is off when I decided to watch The Saint on HBO Max, and save episode 4 until tomorrow.

The marketing and some of the foundation of the show were and are impressive. You think this could be KINDA like Season 1 but in the cold. Dope. But, the actual show, while I like the directors use of color and direction, is pretty rough. Not awful. The script is borderline bad. The mystery is kind of a slog. Not asking for charming or likable leads, but they have to feel like nuanced people. Foster does well with what she has. Reiss is kind of left stranded.

Even on it's own, scraping all references out, it isn't very strong at all.

Last edited:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
there-it.gif

Mans sitting back talking shyt from the bleachers when he could be in the game tryna get his rep back lol.

He can rest his laurels on knowing he prob wouldnt have produced a season like this current one by Issa but so what. It's your baby you started and you pose to be taking care of it lol.

And personally, I never cared if it all was connected. I just wanted good TV fr even if the latter seasons were completely different. Shyt, I wanted 3 to be out of this mf world wit M. Ali in that bih and knowing what he can do but creh gave him (and Deacon) some just above mid to work wit & not the high grade piff Matt & em got.
You should watch those first two episodes of S3 again sometime. Very slick directing by Saulnier and I'll always wonder how the season would've fared had HBO not shifted him out. I felt sorry for Scoot McNairy's character in the end, compared to the start where I thought he'd be the biggest POS ever. The writing for the most part was better. 'Night Country' has done a poor job on making me feel anything for these main leads.

When Hank was in that room all alone with the rose petals over the bed. :mjcry:

Navarro goes RAHHHH and proceeds to get the shyt kicked out of her. :unimpressed:

I'm surprised they didn't consider bringing in Gillian Flynn (Author of 'Gone Girl', 'Sharp Objects') for this though, but maybe they did and she declined. Oh well, at least I got 'Dark Places' coming up.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I watched his Blue Ruin indie in 2014 that was cool, but Green Room was really dope. oh and he did Hold The Dark, that was ok too.

Flynn is incredible, I've read all her books--- but her characters while similar, are not at all what the director wanted to do here, to me. Flynn's characters are almost cliched with the heavy drinking and unreliability. -- Lopez is going for something different but doesn't quite land it.

The issue is that her characters in TD, don't seem that competent as detectives, and are messy, without being very human, it's like all forced edginess. They don't seem like actual people talking. Season 1 didn't always feel like an everyday conversation either, but it was engrossing and enthralling to watch.

You argue that too much of season 1 is based on like men's "roguish charm", something like the Don Draper thing, but they were also funny. They were observant of one another. They had views of the world and each other that felt real, even if they required a lot of heavy lifting from the writing. And of course they felt cliched too, but they also felt like guys we know and sometimes are. but I have no issue relating or liking women's work, I read all kinds of novels, and memoirs, academic books by women, that hardly anyone I know as heard of, but are big in their world.

Sexual assault memoirs by Chanel Miller, Oxford scholar Amia Sirvinsian The Right To Sex, Kristina Roupians You Know You Want This, so I am far from some kind of "incel" or mens rights activist to just dislike the show because of women.

Last edited:

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
You should watch those first two episodes of S3 again sometime. Very slick directing by Saulnier and I'll always wonder how the season would've fared had HBO not shifted him out. I felt sorry for Scoot McNairy's character in the end, compared to the start where I thought he'd be the biggest POS ever. The writing for the most part was better. 'Night Country' has done a poor job on making me feel anything for these main leads.

When Hank was in that room all alone with the rose petals all over the bed. :mjcry:

Navarro goes RAHHHH and proceeds to get the shyt kicked out of her. :unimpressed:

I'm surprised they didn't consider bringing in Gillian Flynn (Author of 'Gone Girl', 'Sharp Objects') for this though, but maybe they did and she declined. Oh well, at least I got 'Dark Places' coming up.

I did watch it recently. I watched all 3 previous seasons leading up to this and so it's all fresh in my mind. I loved some things about 2 and 3 but ultimately they dropped the ball (for me) of what they could have been. Maybe that's my fault for holding it to a particular standard but hey, that's what bought me into this "world" under the TD umbrella so it's what I expect. Those first few episodes were def 🔥 and had me geeked.

But you can even watch a season like 3 and see how they handled Roland's character experiencing sort of the same grief as Navarro but for different reasons, his being Purple had just made him party to killing a man, but they handled that a helluva lot smoother with his bar scene then what they did what Navarro going to go punch those chumps :mjlol: .

By no means will you get me to saying S4 is anywhere near any of the past 3 and id expect it to stay that way with just 3 episodes left....but that doesn't mean I'm letting Nic off the hook either lol

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
I watched his Blue Ruin indie in 2014 that was cool, but Green Room was really dope. oh and he did Hold The Dark, that was ok too.

Flynn is incredible, but her characters while similar, are not at all what the director wanted to do here, to me. Flynn's characters are almost cliched with the heavy drinking and unreliability. Lopez is going for something different but doesn't quite land it.

The issue is that her characters in TD, don't seem that competent as detectives, and are messy, without being very human, it's like all forced edginess. They don't seem like actual people talking. Season 1 didn't always feel like an everyday conversation either, but it was engrossing and enthralling to watch.

This is another thing/gripe or whatever you wanna call it too. Like how are the leads the least ones doing detective work lol. No matter how I feel about the seasons overall, I never had any questions about Purple or Roland (Season 3), Cohle/Marty (S1), or even Velcoro (S2) detective skills.

Prior the main one out here discovering shyt, doing legwork, and actually doing his job 🤣

CJ

Your objective semi-troll
Daps
Reppin
6ix
Interesting how Julia folded her clothes up the same way.
Final two EPs are going to go at Game of Thrones Season 7 type pace, buckle up. Still have to get some closure on the sidebar stuff like Danvers' son/husband and Hank's mail order bride (likely also Danvers') :pachaha:

taker597

Superstar
Daps
If they was competent detectives... They wouldn't be in Alaska. Let's be honest.... Police department in Alaska hire anyone with a pulse.

Mission249

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
She at minimum should be missing. Which is so much better plot element than what we just saw. The hopelessness, and confusion as to not knowing what happened to your sister is just way more devastating and suffocating emotionally.
Yeah, she should be missing, but given the type of writing this show indulges in I was happy they just wrapped up her story line.

Otherwise, it would've been something like "We've found her standing outside of a random building (that doesn't matter). She will be muttering something spooky (that doesn't matter). Look! That symbol (that won't matter) is on the wall and someone saw a ghost!" :beli:

Side note: I swear, ever since Heroes, I hate shows that have "mysterious symbols." It's become such a lazy way for a writer to inject some "it's so mysterious and everything's connected" vibes into a show without ever paying off shyt

Last edited:

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia

When Hank was in that room all alone with the rose petals over the bed. :mjcry:

First 2 eps of S3 were definitely restoring the feeling then it fell flat.

taker597

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, she should be missing, but given the type of writing this show indulges in I was happy they just wrapped up her story line.

Otherwise, it would've been something like "We've found her standing outside of a random building (that doesn't matter). She will be muttering something spooky (that doesn't matter). Look! That symbol (that won't matter) is on the wall and someone saw a ghost!" :beli:

Side note: I swear, ever since Heroes, I hate shows that have "mysterious symbols." It's become such a lazy way for a writer to inject some "it's so mysterious and everything's connected" vibes into a show without ever paying off shyt
When this was only 6 episodes. I was like hmm... That's kind not the norm

Then, it makes sense. They really can't write up a compelling story to save their life. Can't even half assing it 8 episodes. Quarter assing it. At least they have the wit to call it at 6 episodes, but stupid episode like last night where you have Tesla in freaking Alaska on set. The attention to detail is just abhorrent.

Last edited:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
I know its sexist, but women shouldn't get free rein to write a show by themselves. Some of these side storylines just seem pointless. Prior getting emasculated by Danvers and his wife. Prior Sr getting catfished like an idiot. There aint one strong male character on the entire show. Navarro staring at the christmas tree in a catatonic state like a drooling idiot had me sayin "wtf did I just watch". 4 episodes in, we don't have a killer, we don't know if there's a killer, we never even seen anyone get killed. No wonder why Nic wanted to distance himself from this. I have a feeling this ice cave bullshyt with its prehistoric whale bones and fissures is about to be some of the worst television I've ever seen.
Insert and here we go gif :mjgrin:

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Can't wait to see what they do with Tagaq + explain why he had the spiral shyt in his crib other than being a red herring that Clark might've pulled up on at some point.