Official ‘True Detective: Night Country’ Thread | HBO

taker597

Superstar
Daps
The Nic shade is absolutely wild. At least we got a phenomenal season of television off of that stolen material. The character development was just as crucial as Fukunaga’s direction. If anything, Issa López should be thanking Pizzo because without him and his ghostwriter, her piss-poor script wouldn’t see the light of day.

And I’m not even all that heated at her than I am with HBO. They’re the ones who looked at the screenplay and thought what they read was worth a tack-on for an IP that’s been in limbo since 2019. They…actually considered bringing Sam Levinson in to helm this at one point. This shyt was dead from the get-go and I got baited like a fool.

HBO gave Nic two seasons of complete control with deep pockets and fumble the bag. Deserve every bit of shade that he got. Did we forget how miserable slow and pointless Season 3 was with it's story?

The show was already trending in this direction. Luckily, this shyt show is putting in good numbers for HBO to invest more into it and do better.

Show was in major decline thanks to Nic. So, he can go eat a bag of dikks.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
HBO gave Nic two seasons of complete control with deep pockets and fumble the bag. Deserve every bit of shade that he got. Did we forget how miserable slow and pointless Season 3 was with it's story?

The show was already trending in this direction. Luckily, this shyt show is putting in good numbers for HBO to invest more into it and do better.

Show was in major decline thanks to Nic. So, he can go eat a bag of dikks.
Breh, this season is making Nic’s cheesy writing in the second season look like Cormac McCarthy in comparison. Did not think I would say some shyt like that back in 2015, and yet here we are.

The guy is a dikk and is apparently hard to work with, but HBO rushed him to churn out S2. They even admit so. And minus the ridiculous exposition dump in the finale, the third season was very enjoyable overall. Pizzolatto wasn’t ever reaching that S1 high again, and that’s okay.

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees
It taking 4 episodes to question the power going out in the FaceTime video is some dumbass Blues Clue bullshyt right there.
Jodie watching that video for hours drunk on Christmas Eve just to get that takeaway. The random jump scares. The polar bear stuff. The spirals thrown in to make us go "oh season one :ohhh: ".
"We're in the Night Country now" going off like a fart compared to "you're in Carcosa now"
Just straight nonsense from top to bottom.

Daps
Man... I really did try to give this season a chance and let be it's own thing, but after that bullshyt ass Andy Reid time management episode. I'm on the hate train.

How the fukk you gonna let a patient leave in the dead of night. She gets butt naked and goes into the ocean. Somehow found her and identity her body in a matter of like an hour.

She at minimum should be missing. Which is so much better plot element than what we just saw. The hopelessness, and confusion as to not knowing what happened to your sister is just way more devastating and suffocating emotionally.
They found her fast as hell didn’t they? Like she had a glow stick up her ass or something.

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
The Nic shade is absolutely wild. At least we got a phenomenal season of television off of that stolen material. The character development was just as crucial as Fukunaga’s direction. If anything, Issa López should be thanking Pizzo because without him and his ghostwriter, her piss-poor script wouldn’t see the light of day.

And I’m not even all that heated at her than I am with HBO. They’re the ones who looked at the screenplay and thought what they read was worth a tack-on for an IP that’s been in limbo since 2019. They…actually considered bringing Sam Levinson in to helm this at one point. This shyt was dead from the get-go and I got baited like a fool.

Nah man....fukk homie. He ruined a universe that could have been highly regarded up there with your Sopranos, Wire, Breaking Bad and all that. Now, mfs stuck just saying, "but that first season tho...". We gonna be on season 7 of true detective with 2 Asian detectives for good measure still singing the same song.

And yeah, maybe this season makes you look back on the prior 2 with fonder eyes but still...

Reminds me of the Wachowski brothers/sisters & them being accused of stealing heavily for the OG Matrix script and they can't seem to ever create anything on that level again either. Yeah, 2 get hype for innovation in the action genre and rightfully so but it wasn't as strong as the OG just like with TD1 and TD2 comparisons. Then 3 and then most recently four with just 1 of em was :trash:

What director or screenwriter you know don't at least have a few joints under their belt consistency wise. Taratino, Spike, Cameron, Kubrick, Scorcese, Simon, etc. all produced multiple seasons/shows or films of piff before we could start talking about them having "misses" or drops on the product.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
One of my boys who works in Hollywood, not that he had anything to do with this or HBO, but he said it was Mconughey and Harrelson who helped a LOT with the script and the delivery and the interplay. Not just their career high acting, but playing with the lines and the conversations.

Never really considered that, but may explain why Pizalato hadn't even come close to so Season 1 again. But then again, Fukunuaga, aside from Beasts of No Nation which was phenomenal to me, not just as a movie, but as style of movie making, less dialogue, heavy on montages, it was like Malick or something --he hasn't done much either

All he's done is Manaic, (which I haven't watched) and that near unwatchable James Bond movie from 2021. That was maybe the worst Bond I have seen in my lifetime, as far as new ones. As bad as the 2015 Sam Mendes one.

Last edited:

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
One of my boys who works in Hollywood, not that he had anything to do with this or HBO, or whatever but he said it was Mconughey and Harrelson who helped a LOT with the script and the delivery and the interplay. Not just their career high acting, but playing with the lines and the conversations.

Never really considered that, but may explain why Pizalato hadn't even come close to so Season 1 again. But then again, Fukunuaga, aside from Beasts of No Nation which was phenomenal to me, not just as a movie, but as style of movie making, less dialogue, heavy on montages, it was like Malick or something.

and he's done some things after that, but nothing I thought was great. All he's done is Manaic, (which I haven't watched) but that near unwatchable James Bond movie from 2021. That was maybe the worst Bond I have seen in my lifetime, as far as new ones. As bad as the 2015 Sam Mendes one.

Dialog shyt makes sense cuz whoever gave Vince that shyt in S2 clearly had it out for him. Not to mention some of the exchanges between Colin & his kid. All dem mfs got the clout (I'm assuming) to change their shyt too tho so I would have went to work erasing sum of that shyt 😂

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Nah man....fukk homie. He ruined a universe that could have been highly regarded up there with your Sopranos, Wire, Breaking Bad and all that. Now, mfs stuck just saying, "but that first season tho...". We gonna be on season 7 of true detective with 2 Asian detectives for good measure still singing the same song.

And yeah, maybe this season makes you look back on the prior 2 with fonder eyes but still...

Reminds me of the Wachowski brothers/sisters & them being accused of stealing heavily for the OG Matrix script and they can't seem to ever create anything on that level again either. Yeah, 2 get hype for innovation in the action genre and rightfully so but it wasn't as strong as the OG just like with TD1 and TD2 comparisons. Then 3 and then most recently four with just 1 of em was :trash:

What director or screenwriter you know don't at least have a few joints under their belt consistency wise. Taratino, Spike, Cameron, Kubrick, Scorcese, Simon, etc. all produced multiple seasons/shows or films of piff before we could start talking about them having "misses" or drops on the product.
Nic simply ran out of ideas to continue on, he didn't ruin anything lol. The first season is a self-contained story that's already held in high regard up there with The Sopranos, The Wire, etc. in the television realm. One of the biggest issues came with the audience watching the other two seasons and thinking plot elements were going to connect in a project that was initially pitched as an anthology series. He ends up poking fun at it in the third season. But I don't know how dude is catching strays still when he has zero creative involvement with whatever this season is. Dude looks unprofessional as hell throwing shade at a project he's EP'ing, but I can't really blame him either.

HollywoodP

#LongLive24 #TMC America's Team, Lakeshow, & ASU
Daps
Reppin
The Valley Of The Sun 602🌵480🌵623🌵520
I know its sexist, but women shouldn't get free reign to write a show by themselves. Some of these side storylines just seem pointless. Prior getting emasculated by Danvers and his wife. Prior Sr getting catfished like an idiot. There aint one strong male character on the entire show. Navarro staring at the christmas tree in a catatonic state like a drooling idiot had me sayin "wtf did I just watch". 4 episodes in, we don't have a killer, we don't know if there's a killer, we never even seen anyone get killed. No wonder why Nic wanted to distance himself from this. I have a feeling this ice cave bullshyt with its prehistoric whale bones and fissures is about to be some of the worst television I've ever seen.

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Nic simply ran out of ideas to continue on, he didn't ruin anything lol. The first season is a self-contained story that's already held in high regard up there with The Sopranos, The Wire, etc. in the television realm. One of the biggest issues came with the audience watching the other two seasons and thinking plot elements were going to connect in a project that was initially pitched as an anthology series. He ends up poking fun at it in the third season. But I don't know how dude is catching strays still when he has zero creative involvement with whatever this season is. He looks unprofessional as hell throwing shade in a project he's EP'ing, but I can't really blame him either.

there-it.gif

Mans sitting back talking shyt from the bleachers when he could be in the game tryna get his rep back lol.

He can rest his laurels on knowing he prob wouldnt have produced a season like this current one by Issa but so what. It's your baby you started and you pose to be taking care of it lol.

And personally, I never cared if it all was connected. I just wanted good TV fr even if the latter seasons were completely different. Shyt, I wanted 3 to be out of this mf world wit M. Ali in that bih and knowing what he can do but creh gave him (and Deacon) some just above mid to work wit & not the high grade piff Matt & em got.