Official ‘True Detective: Night Country’ Thread | HBO

Superstar
Daps
I agree on all points. That dark, atmospheric shyt. Season 3 ALMOST had da same atmospheric tone. They definitely need to bring back that spooky, macabre, foreboding shyt. Season 1 was very nihilistic.

I went into season 1 knowing nothing about the show. The whole time it felt like the story was on the cusp of revealing something supernatural.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Right. Give us what we want and stop bullshyttin'. I've been fiendin' for another dose of that since season 1 and no other show has been able to cut da craving like that particular season.
Yeah.. some shows that kinda scratch the itch.. but not really.

Go back to that cosmic horrorish feel and get one director to do all the eps

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Seeing a lot of TD fans conflicted over HBO continuing this without Pizzolatto’s involvement and while I’m a bit nervous myself, it always felt like Nic was burnt out by the time S3 dropped. I don’t know if it was him constantly overwriting material, fighting to top S1’s brilliance, or whatever - but it just wasn’t working anymore.

If he was truly exhausted, then perhaps hiring a new voice was for the better. Seeing talent like Fukunaga and Saulnier depart over “creative differences” was a drag. I heard he was opposed to having stories take place in settings like Alaska, which is nuts given the many avenues a story could explore there.

I do hope they manage to bring back T. Bone Burnett though. His music plays a large part into what makes this show so good.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Seeing a lot of TD fans conflicted over HBO continuing this without Pizzolatto’s involvement and while I’m a bit nervous myself, it always felt like Nic was burnt out by the time S3 dropped. I don’t know if it was him constantly overwriting material, fighting to top S1’s brilliance, or whatever - but it just wasn’t working anymore.

If he was truly exhausted, then perhaps hiring a new voice was for the better. Seeing talent like Fukunaga and Saulnier depart over “creative differences” was a drag. I heard he was opposed to having stories take place in settings like Alaska, which is nuts given the many avenues a story could explore there.

I do hope they manage to bring back T. Bone Burnett though. His music plays a large part into what makes this show so good.

I don't understand how he was burnt out.

Dude was heavily "inspired" for season 1, season 2 dropped damn near 2 years later and was trash, and season 3 was cool but it came out 4 years after that.

:mjlol:

I mean....even if every season was top tier, his work output is fukking trash.

Fred.

Superstar
Daps
Yeah.. some shows that kinda scratch the itch.. but not really.

Go back to that cosmic horrorish feel and get one director to do all the eps

Cary fukunaga was the reason for season 1’s overall vibe but he out here fuk’n his career up smh.