Official ‘True Detective: Night Country’ Thread | HBO

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Personally, I don't think they'll be able to duplicate season 1, sadly. We ain't gettin' another one of those. Now, if S4 does so, I'll have no issue sayin' I was wrong.
The Rust and Marty cameo in S3 had me like :gladbron: and:snoop:all at the same time.

Like yeah, those characters are great to see, but damn it reminded me of how much of a masterpiece the first season was and how big of a shadow it casted over the ones that followed. The storylines were already similar. I’m glad Nic is done.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I don't understand how he was burnt out.

Dude was heavily "inspired" for season 1, season 2 dropped damn near 2 years later and was trash, and season 3 was cool but it came out 4 years after that.

:mjlol:

I mean....even if every season was top tier, his work output is fukking trash.

Fred.
Pizzolatto was on a serious time constraint while developing S2, and HBO wanted to get another season out quickly after S1’s mass success. I’m not excusing what he put out, but that second season dropped after a year turnaround and you could tell a lot of the plot points were underdeveloped. Probably would’ve turned out better with another year in the oven.

Third season dropped as a return to form, had better writing, and actually had something going for it until the exposition dump in the finale. I could see him being burnt out, and chasing the glory of that first season was just not happening.

Last edited:

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
Season 1 bit heavily off of Thomas Ligotti. Major parts of Rust's dialogue were paraphrased from, and/or inspired by his writings.

Not to mention the whole cosmic horror/cult angle.

They just need to do that again. :yeshrug:

Fred.
I don't understand how he was burnt out.

Dude was heavily "inspired" for season 1, season 2 dropped damn near 2 years later and was trash, and season 3 was cool but it came out 4 years after that.

:mjlol:

I mean....even if every season was top tier, his work output is fukking trash.

Fred.
Yeah when you say "they just need to do it again" I hope you mean Pizzolato finds something good to plagiarize again. not just go horror/cult route :heh:

That season two might be one of the worst follow up seasons of all time. Pizzolato was feeling himself so much and buying into his own hype it was all over season two. From those shytty speeches, that pretentious music set, the dumbass twists/reveals nobody cared about, needlessly convoluted storyline.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Yeah when you say "they just need to do it again" I hope you mean Pizzolato finds something good to plagiarize again. not just go horror/cult route :heh:

That season two might be one of the worst follow up seasons of all time. Pizzolato was feeling himself so much and buying into his own hype it was all over season two. From those shytty speeches, that pretentious music set, the dumbass twists/reveals nobody cared about, needlessly convoluted storyline.

I actually mean both.

Just steal shyt again and make it horror/cult like season 1.

Hell, plagiarize Ligotti again. He's a mentally ill recluse and 90% of his early writing (besides "Songs Of A Dead Dreamer", 'Grimscribe", and "Teatro Grotessco") is out of print. He ain't suing anybody.

Or go straight to the source, Lovecraft. Who was a massive influence on Ligotti. A lot of his stories are public domain, anyway.

Fred.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
So my local news are saying TD season 4 will spend 9 months shooting in my country and will spend around $70 millz.

:ehh:
That’s sick. Was reading the plot synopsis the other night and the whole “isolated research base in the cold” addition reminded me of The Thing. If it manages to sneak in similar Lovecraft mythos then this should be really special.