Official ‘True Detective: Night Country’ Thread | HBO

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
The show has created some of those weird "modern" controversies, about "review bombing", and the show runner getting involved, die hard fans of season 1 are outraged, others are enthralled. So weird to be in the center of the social media age. All these people seem insane and unhinged. Even the show runner getting involved seems beneath someone so talented and successful.

I happened to read a Forbes magazine review that was pretty even handed, but also some people's expectations were way out of proportion, including that critic. The second review follows up on the whole it's not really a TD show, which I mentioned some pages back.

The weakest thing to me is the script.

here's how that pitch meeting probably went, HBO MAX/HBO in 2020 or 2019 is looking for content from Issa Lopez, or more diverse voices, she had a hot movie in Mexico around that time right? So, she pitches Night Country, but without any of the True Detective references or packaging, and someone in the meeting says basically we will sign off on this, if you reframe some aspects into the True Detective world. So she has to rewrite and reframe, and kind of jam in some stuff that probably changed or compromised her original vision.

that's just Hollywood.

that said, the script, to me, still is kind of lacking. It doesn't have to be laugh or loud funny like Season 1, but the characters are all written so tightly, wired so tightly, they don't have room to breathe is the way I would put it.

Last edited:

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
If I was just guessing, and to be fair, I think overanalyzing and obsessing with predicting outcomes is maybe a disservice to the enjoyment of watching,

but it will be something like a killer who was part of or known to the research facility, but on his own killing women or something, and then had to kill the others members when they figured it out, or caught him in the act or something. Like Windriver. When the guards had to kill the investigators to cover up the rape/murder.

The two male characters, John Hawkes, the obviously corrupt cop (maybe ends up being less corrupt, or something) and the hotel tryst guy, are both aware of the research facilities sideline in killing women, but because of grants or donations or whatever from the Tuttle Corp. they keep it quiet.

Last edited:

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
If I was just guessing, and to be fair, I think overanalyzing and obsessing with predicting outcomes is maybe a disservice to the enjoyment of watching,

This is part of the modern tv consumption landscape.

I don't participate. I hate getting spoiled by reading theories.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
This is part of the modern tv consumption landscape.

I don't participate. I hate getting spoiled by reading theories.

Right. I think within reason it's fun, sharpens your mind, but like so much, spirals way way out of control on social media and Reddit, and sometimes here, people are sometimes writing like straight up fan fiction theories, and then essentially saying they are right, no matter what the show or showrunner actually says, or the writing clearly shows.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

but it will be something like a killer who was part of or known to the research facility, but on his own killing women or something, and then had to kill the others members when they figured it out, or caught him in the act or something. Like Windriver. When the guards had to kill the investigators to cover up the rape/murder.

The two male characters, John Hawkes, the obviously corrupt cop (maybe ends up being less corrupt, or something) and the hotel tryst guy, are both aware of the research facilities sideline in killing women, but because of grants or donations or whatever from the Tuttle Corp. they keep it quiet.

Like I said I doubt the lab shyt will ever be solved. It will be used as a springboard to move the plot unto the cult. Which is fine to me.

Fred.

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
Like I said I doubt the lab shyt will ever be solved. It will be used as a springboard to move the plot unto the cult. Which is fine to me.

Fred.
I want to agree but I think they're leaning way more into the weird shyt this season so far. Might just be poorer writing though, that stuff was always basically just used for flavor when Nic was still writing. Here it seems to be a driving force so when the "real" twist happens later I can see it pissing ppl off even more lol.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I want to agree but I think they're leaning way more into the weird shyt this season so far. Might just be poorer writing though, that stuff was always basically just used for flavor when Nic was still writing. Here it seems to be a driving force so when the "real" twist happens later I can see it pissing ppl off even more lol.

The lab being completely unexplained would lean heavily into weird shyt.

And Nic Pizzolatto "borrowed" (some would say plagiarized) large portions of season 1 from Thomas Ligotti. Season 1 is still a classic but it's easy to do what he did when you essentially have training wheels on.

Not to mention Robert W. Chambers "The King In Yellow" is public domain so that whole angle was also an ally-oop for him.

Fred.

Superstar
Daps
Right. I think within reason it's fun, sharpens your mind, but like so much, spirals way way out of control on social media and Reddit, and sometimes here, people are sometimes writing like straight up fan fiction theories, and then essentially saying they are right, no matter what the show or showrunner actually says, or the writing clearly shows.

:mjlol:
Somebody on Reddit once wrote this drawn out theory about how the season 1 theme song was about a girl that had been kidnapped, murdered, dumped, and left to rot before the main characters found her. They were even trying to highlight parts of the song as spoilers and clues as to what would happen the rest of the season.

:mjlol:
The song was recorded in 2003 and one of the performers explained that it’s about two people finding a rare blooming cactus and going crazy (based on old legend). I read other people’s input up until the premier date and bush the rest. I’m too old and all those people’s theories and opinions are just an annoyance now lol. I just let the show tell me a story.

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia

tenor.gif