Official ‘True Detective: Night Country’ Thread | HBO

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Bro what are you talking about every time I see people talk about season 1 it's in positive light what? you seeing ghost fam
The reviews for this season, including the Rolling Stone one linked in this thread. Just weird shots at S1. Perhaps people don't remember but there was definitely pushback against S1 from certain critics who felt the writer was misogynistic. In reality it was a straight up noir detective show that heavily leaned into a lot of tropes, including the "brood detective with no time for family/wife/children" one lol.

It just annoys me, I know it's a small thing. I'm looking forward to the new season.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
But the show led them down that path, to a degree, hinting and larger conspiracies and so on-- and they just went wild.

Thank you, exactly.

Season 1 is a classic but let's keep it real.

Nic Pizzolatto basically stole damn near every Rust line from Thomas Ligotti, one of the premier writers of cosmic/existential horror, to the point that he was accused of plagiarism.

Invoked Robert Chambers "The King In Yellow". Which has ties to the Cthulhu Mythos.

I'm sorry, but you don't get to do that then
rDpQOao.png
"oh my bad guys, this was a deconstruction of masculinity in a noir setting....what were you expecting?"

I mean....you can, obviously. He did. But it's like a beautiful woman taking off her clothes....to discuss philosophy with you. That's not where you thought things were going.

EDIT:

And now that I think about it, the cult spiral symbol. Which they fukked up and put in Marty's house. Which led to all sorts of speculation about his daughter, his wife, his in-laws, etc....only for them to admit it was a mistake.

But no, I have no idea why the fans went crazy with theories. Complete mystery.
DKt04lZ.png

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
There was a bigger conspiracy at play and they made that clear Lol. The Tuttles were a devil worshipping cult along the border of Southern Louisiana and had been doing that shyt for years. The masks and all the iconography were taken from ancient festivals in the area.

They even said at the end they didn't get them all and they weren't going to be able to link the Senator to any wrongdoing.

HollywoodP

#LongLive24 #TMC America's Team, Lakeshow, & ASU
Daps
Reppin
The Valley Of The Sun 602🌵480🌵623🌵520
just finished season 1 again. God damn. This might be the greatest season of Television ever. Right up there with any season of the Wire. I dont think there's going to be much connection to season 4. Just wishful thinking and purposful misdirection. They creators always try to get us to think theses seasons will be connected to Season 1 somehow. There was soooo much speculation surrounding season 3 that didnt have merit. There's been a few lil easter eggs here and there. But I'm going to treat these seasons as seperate like they were intended. That said...on rewatch...Rust does have major ties to Alaska. :troll:

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Rewatching Season 1 too for S4

there's some flaws I can see more clearly with each rewatch, but it remains just an excellent exemplary season of television

The Michelle Monaghan character is given a lot of nuance and depth, I think, it's just a role that comes with old baggage. The cops wife.

The scenes with Daddario have always been really questionable. They don't add much besides some red meat for men eager to see her undress. She's gorgeous, and it's not her performance, it's just a hacky, sleazy element of the writing.

Last edited:

CJ

Your objective semi-troll
Daps
Reppin
6ix

Still my favourite oner/long take of all time :banderas:

shyt had my heart racing. McConaughey was cooking :dj2:

Edit: shyt, channel didn't allow embedding, b*stards. It's the only one on Youtube

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
"Deputy Velcoro.....this filth....hurt your woman" I can't already with Vaughn and it's just Ep. 1. Mf talkin' like The Kingpin :russ:

Superstar
Daps
"Deputy Velcoro.....this filth....hurt your woman" I can't already with Vaughn and it's just Ep. 1. Mf talkin' like The Kingpin :russ:

:mjlol:
The first time I watched season 2 it didn’t click for me, until a few episodes in, that they were going all out on the hardcore modern noir thing. shyt was one “Myaaaah SEEeee” from being dikk Tracy lol.

I’ve grown to appreciate it as much as the other two seasons.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
The purpose Marty's side pieces served other than nudity is to put a wedge between he and Rust. His wife never visits and drunk Rust and fukks him if not for the mistresses. Yeah, it's an old trope but to harp on it is nitpicking an otherwise perfect piece of television.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Watched Season 1 all this week, and have a lot of great quotes, and some more thoughts on it's flaws, it's an engaging show that mostly holds up, but I do need to talk about some of the weirder flaws or themes.

This is maybe the third time I have rewatched since 2014 which was 10 years ago! fukk. I remember vividly watching that January, and it was such a surprise, I watched the first two back to back, and was instantly captivated by the first 10 minutes or so.

To me, I would say the mistress scenes are beyond gratuitous and totally self indulgent fantasy from the writers/directors. Some elements worked. The whole "was that down payment"was excellent foreshadowing and pay off, but the way it's done, is where I would say there is valid criticism. It's almost laughable on the rewatch.

The show of course isn't going for 100% realism, and HBO has always liked a hot nude sex scene for no real reason (think of several of Tony's mistresses and sex scenes that had no real purpose) but for a very real reason which is meat to the men watching.