Official Top Gun: Maverick Thread

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
They should've come up with something better than 'you refuse to retire' because nah, aint no captain sitting there for 30 years and not being pushed out.

Will watch.
You see all those patches on that jacket :banderas:

Them never promoting him is their way of forcing him out.

My man eating them captain paychecks, on base housing, at the mess hall like :umad:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Where can I get one of them Top Gun jackets :pachaha:
joint is tough

Men's Leather Flight Jacket / Leather Flight Jacket -- Orvis UK

6C68A1W_Alt.jpg

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
They should've come up with something better than 'you refuse to retire' because nah, aint no captain sitting there for 30 years and not being pushed out.

Will watch.

exactly. This dude would have to be in his 60s at this point. :mjlol:

His ass woulda been gone. :laff:

Navy pilots gonna be laughing their ass off at this shyt.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
For the umpteenth time he didnt:stopitslime:

exactly. This dude would have to be in his 60s at this point. :mjlol:

His ass woulda been gone. :laff:

Navy pilots gonna be laughing their ass off at this shyt.

He's a hero breh :troll:
"Thirty-plus years of service. Combat medals, citations, the only man to shoot down three enemy planes in the last 40 years. Yet you can't get a promotion, you won't retire, and despite your best efforts you refuse to die," Harris scowls. "You should be at least a two-star admiral by now. Yet here you are. Captain. Why is that?"

Yes, why is that?! Luckily for Harris and everyone else who's paying close attention, the Navy has answers. Here's what Navy Personnel Command told USNI News of Maverick's circuitous return to the big screen:

The most straightforward answer to have a captain with 35-plus years of service is for the captain to have previous enlisted experience. In the case of Maverick, this scenario doesn't fit with the movie's timeline – Maverick was a lieutenant in 1986.

Another possible scenario occurs if there's a break in service. For instance, perhaps at some point after the famous incident involving MiGs of uncertain origin over the Indian Ocean, as depicted in the first "Top Gun," Maverick left active duty and did some time in the Navy Reserve. Then later, he returned to active duty. With more than five years in the reserves, Maverick could be pushing 37 years in uniform.

The final scenario for Maverick would be if he were retired but retained in service, a scenario that keeps individuals in uniform after reaching their statutory retirement. Generally speaking, cases of individuals being retired but retained are rare, but not unheard of, according to Naval Personnel Command.

So it looks like Old Man Maverick's time in the Super Hornet wasn't just a product of some silly script doctor's imagination. Then again, that's not totally surprising: Paramount Pictures consulted closely with the Navy on the how to keep the production in line with the real-world U.S. armed forces just as much as it did with the original Top Gun, according to the production agreement published by the Washington Business Journal.