Official Top Gun: Maverick Thread

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
Looks incredible. Shaking up to be a great film. Tom Cruise has the greatest filmography of any actor

He's worked with so many great directors too. Spielberg, Scorsese, Coppola, Mann, Tony & Ridley Scott, Abrams, Bird, De Palma, Stone, Kubrick, Crowe,etc. etc. I think the only actor who can match that is DiCaprio (although Adam Driver is getting up there.)

Last edited:

eufemism

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#uglygang
My best friend hit me shortly after the trailer dropped and to show how much of a mind meld we have, he asked what I was thinking: who is this for?

Now let me be clear, this shyt looks dope and I’ll be there day one. So will he lol. But it’s going for nostalgia for something a large chunk of the audience won’t have nostalgia for, much like blade runner 2049 and terminator dark date to a lesser extent. The trailers are really going for that nostalgia with the shots and the music and playing on the legacy of an almost 40 year old movie featuring a cast that, outside of a couple people, don’t really do much in terms of interest. Miles teller is fantastic and he’s got my heart eternally because of Whiplash. But he’s not that guy yet. Cruise is the main attraction here, as he should be, but audiences seemingly only want to see him on impossible missions damn near killing himself.

Again, not saying it’ll be bad by any means. Just not sure if it’ll have any legs and I’m not sure who it’s really for at this point

Blade Runner was never a huge hit at the box office iirc and Terminator has been garbage after garbage ever since T2. Nobody trusts that series anymore

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Blade Runner was never a huge hit at the box office iirc and Terminator has been garbage after garbage ever since T2. Nobody trusts that series anymore

Yeah but the people who love Top Gun or at least were of age to love it when the first movie came out, moved on. They're in their 50s now. And they're marketing it purely off nostalgia. That's it. My dad is the target audience for this and he doesn't care lol. He didn't care about Terminator either but that had nothing to do with the series rep and everything to do with just moving on. Paramount can't just sell this on nostalgia cause it won't work that way.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Yeah but the people who love Top Gun or at least were of age to love it when the first movie came out, moved on. They're in their 50s now. And they're marketing it purely off nostalgia. That's it. My dad is the target audience for this and he doesn't care lol. He didn't care about Terminator either but that had nothing to do with the series rep and everything to do with just moving on. Paramount can't just sell this on nostalgia cause it won't work that way.

:dwillhuh: it might be going hard for nostalgia but it's still hyping the fukk out of an action movie with dope warplanes stunts. People from all ages know Tom Cruise - even if it's just "that crazy guy who does his own stunts on Mission Impossible - and promotion banks on him doing two things: 1) selling it to Top Gun fans and 2) selling it to anyone that enjoys his action movies.

If 1) doesn't work, then sure as hell 2) will. Not sure why you are limiting the "target audience" to just people who know and love Top Gun. It's not like it's a property with deep/crazy lore that requires a lot of prior knowledge to enjoy it. I'm pretty sure a fukk ton of people will go "oh shyt, Tom Cruise doing crazy stuff on a plane!" and will go see it.

Also, it's gonna kill in every big market outside of the U.S.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
:dwillhuh: it might be going hard for nostalgia but it's still hyping the fukk out of an action movie with dope warplanes stunts. People from all ages know Tom Cruise - even if it's just "that crazy guy who does his own stunts on Mission Impossible - and promotion banks on him doing two things: 1) selling it to Top Gun fans and 2) selling it to anyone that enjoys his action movies.

If 1) doesn't work, then sure as hell 2) will. Not sure why you are limiting the "target audience" to just people who know and love Top Gun. It's not like it's a property with deep/crazy lore that requires a lot of prior knowledge to enjoy it. I'm pretty sure a fukk ton of people will go "oh shyt, Tom Cruise doing crazy stuff on a plane!" and will go see it.

Also, it's gonna kill in every big market outside of the U.S.

That's also fair. But I'm also thinking of Cruise's stuff outside of M:I and that shyt hasn't worked lately outside of the first Jack Reacher. Everything else, including Live, Die, Repeat, which was dope as hell, didn't find its audience. And those trailers showed him doing crazy shyt as well. But no one else in this movie, besides Cruise, is a "star" at this point. M:I sells off the strength of the stunts of course but also the ensemble. People like seeing those people together and genuinely love those characters now.

But again, I'm just spitballing here. I'm not sure who its aimed for. By target audience, I don't just mean older people but in general. You need to have a target when you're marketing a product and this one, as of now, is screaming nostalgia play since this is the 2nd trailer and it's still vague as hell what the movie is about. Basing your marketing around "Hey! Remember this?!" is never a good look. Especially if the thing you want people to remember is from 30 years ago.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
That's also fair. But I'm also thinking of Cruise's stuff outside of M:I and that shyt hasn't worked lately outside of the first Jack Reacher. Everything else, including Live, Die, Repeat, which was dope as hell, didn't find its audience. And those trailers showed him doing crazy shyt as well. But no one else in this movie, besides Cruise, is a "star" at this point. M:I sells off the strength of the stunts of course but also the ensemble. People like seeing those people together and genuinely love those characters now.

Edge of Tomorrow had a severe problem with its promotion - the dope movie we got was not what was advertised - and still made $100 mil in the US and $370 mil worldwide. Even The Mummy that was universally panned (I didn't even see it) made US$329 million outside of the U.S (and 80 in the States).Top Gun Maverick reportedly has a cheaper budget than both of those movies btw.

I think it's a combination of things: Tom Cruise ("the Mission Impossible crazy guy" to younger people), nostalgia and unique action. I think you are selling short the fact that Maverick looks different than most action, comic book and *insert film with a bunch of CGI* (like The Mummy) flicks. When was the last time we saw some crazy shyt being done with F-18s and a stealth jet?

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Edge of Tomorrow had a severe problem with its promotion - the dope movie we got was not what was advertised - and still made $100 mil in the US and $370 mil worldwide. Even The Mummy that was universally panned (I didn't even see it) made US$329 million outside of the U.S (and 80 in the States).Top Gun Maverick reportedly has a cheaper budget than both of those movies btw.

I think it's a combination of things: Tom Cruise ("the Mission Impossible crazy guy" to younger people), nostalgia and unique action. I think you are selling short the fact that Maverick looks different than most action, comic book and *insert film with a bunch of CGI* (like The Mummy) flicks. When was the last time we saw some crazy shyt being done with F-18s and a stealth jet?
Those are good points. Well the last ones. The points you’re making about the other movies are moot since the studio says they underperformed. Although I’m with you on live die repeats marketing but it is what it is. Fact still remains outside of Mission, Tom has had a rough decade at the box office although I’ll contend he hasn’t made a bad flick in the 2010s.

I’m not selling it short tho. I just don’t think selling nostalgia for a 30 year old movie a lot of the audience doesn’t remember (and I’m not including us, I’m talking younger kids) is a dangerous game. Very dangerous. Now if this came out in the 90s or early 2000s, different story. But both trailers are basically selling to people who love the first movie and you gotta hope there’s still enough of them left. You have to bring in a new audience and I don’t see these first two spots doing that.

But again, this is just my feelings. I could very well be wrong in June or they could start selling this movie and not the first movie. Just noticing a trend in how studios are selling legacy sequels and it’s all the same to varying results.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Those are good points. Well the last ones. The points you’re making about the other movies are moot since the studio says they underperformed. Although I’m with you on live die repeats marketing but it is what it is. Fact still remains outside of Mission, Tom has had a rough decade at the box office although I’ll contend he hasn’t made a bad flick in the 2010s.

I’m not selling it short tho. I just don’t think selling nostalgia for a 30 year old movie a lot of the audience doesn’t remember (and I’m not including us, I’m talking younger kids) is a dangerous game. Very dangerous. Now if this came out in the 90s or early 2000s, different story. But both trailers are basically selling to people who love the first movie and you gotta hope there’s still enough of them left. You have to bring in a new audience and I don’t see these first two spots doing that.

But again, this is just my feelings. I could very well be wrong in June or they could start selling this movie and not the first movie. Just noticing a trend in how studios are selling legacy sequels and it’s all the same to varying results.

I just think that there's enough stuff alongside the nostalgia to sell this movie to everyone else who doesn't know or care about Top Gun. Like, if I didn't know anything about the first movie I would still go :ohhh: about it given how it looks and the shyt they are doing on those planes. It just looks like a dope action flick that we don't know what it's about yet...which is fine considering we are 6 months away from the premiere :heh:

And yes, studios are selling legacy and banking on IP and past knowledge of them. But to me, Top Gun is so damn simple that it kinda doesn't matter in this case.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I just think that there's enough stuff alongside the nostalgia to sell this movie to everyone else who doesn't know or care about Top Gun. Like, if I didn't know anything about the first movie I would still go :ohhh: about it given how it looks and the shyt they are doing on those planes. It just looks like a dope action flick that we don't know what it's about yet...which is fine considering we are 6 months away from the premiere :heh:
True. But I never like releasing a second trailer that tells me jack shyt about the movie. Second trailer should give me something other than nostalgia :manny: this one doesn’t. Gotta work harder than that and studios still haven’t figured that out