Official The Witcher Thread (R.I.P. - fukk Superman)

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The scale of the battle in the first episode felt fine to me, it felt in line with early medieval battles which were mainly fought between nobility/amatuer soldiers, before the time of standing armies and conscripts.

But maybe the books had a bigger scale?

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I only watched the first episode so far but the swordplay :whoo: :ehh:

I like all the fantasy elements, my only experience in this world in playing some of Wild Hunt a great game that I never finished :manny:

but I think I'm gonna get back into it soon.

Anyway, I like this so far. I like the voice he chose too. I'm interested in what all these wizards and shyt can do.

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
The last episode was so egregiously terrible compared to the other 7 that it's soured me on the show. Maybe they throught they were getting 10 and then it dipped to 8? I don't know, but just from a storytelling perspective, there were so many shortcuts, contrivances and moments of functional character assassination, it made me actively upset.

Girl who played Yennefer ran this whole fukking season, by herself. Her story was the most compelling this about this. Cavill did so much better than I expected him to, down to his straight-up copy of the games' Geralt voice... I got more and more sold on him as the season went. (Still think dude from Altered Carbon would have, physically, been the perfect fukking Geralt)

But... something was wrong with the last episode on so many levels, man... it's a shame. That, and how distractingly terrible looking the person who played Ciri was kinda messed all this up for me, even though I liked a lot more of it than I disliked. Ciri looked 80+ in the snow sections; bytch looked old.

Show did a great job in #1-7 of making every episode seem like a deep, involved quest in the Witcher games; replete with the twists in narrative... i.e.
Geralt just 'nope'ing out of the Lioness' offer to kill the knight, etc.

I don't like parts of it, but I'll watch season 2 at the least, off the strength. That being said, I either need them to run as a clique or I need them to drop Yen POV sections next season and give Geralt a season to cook. Yen was standout, but I'm still not sold on the 'protagonist' of this show.

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
I'm typically a fan of fantasy shows but I'm just not enjoying this so far. I'm on episode 4 and it's not doing anything for me. The time jumping they did with the plot was mad unnecessary too :francis:

The Fukin Prophecy

RIP Champ
Daps
I'm typically a fan of fantasy shows but I'm just not enjoying this so far. I'm on episode 4 and it's not doing anything for me. The time jumping they did with the plot was mad unnecessary too :francis:
Every negative review has that in common and I agree...

Time jumping isn't the problem though, time jumping is tricky but can be a very effective tool if done properly (see Westworld season 1)...

The approach the Witcher show runners took here IMO was lazy, there is no effective way to do time jumping without visual indicators and no world building to establish some sort of a timeline...How are viewers new to the Witcher supposed to follow the story when you don't establish any semblance of a timeline? Repeating the word "destiny" and jumping around is not storytelling...Expecting your viewers to have read either a book or played the games to be able to piece together whats going on is pretty damn idiotic...

Like I said earlier, they have a lot of work to do to make up for their shortcomings this season, specifically with the Nilfgaardian situation which is vital to the overall story and complicated...All they gave us in season 1 is guys in black armor that looks like a scrotum sack attacking the north...That's also why the final episode did not register well with a lot of people...You can't give folk a major battle with no world building and explanation for it...

Legalese

Banned
Daps
Reading this thread and reading outside critics are night and day.
Very polarizing..