Official The Witcher Thread (R.I.P. - fukk Superman)

GR13

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
did anyone else get hit with a strong since of nostalgia watching this like taking you back to the 90's as a kid watching the sword and sandal, monster/ villain of the week, traveling adventurer type show's of the 90's ( hercules: the legendary journeys, Xena: Warrior Princess, Young Hercules, The Adventures of Sinbad, Conan the Adventurer, The New Adventures of Robin Hood, Beastmaster)

herculesbu0.jpg
Maternalinstincts_01.jpg

MV5BNTY1ZjAxM2MtNWNhZC00YzVlLWEzZDItZGEyM2FlZTc2ZWExXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTIwNDI1ODM@._V1_.jpg
0847931fc2aa924cfe2a33bbf1fb7f33--bandit-queen-conan-the-barbarian.jpg
beastmaster-5946aec6e67d9.jpg

The_New_Adventures_of_Robin_Hood_TV_Series-564117512-large.jpg

klutch2381

A Doctor of Love
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you think you're lonely now, ohhh girl...
Every negative review has that in common and I agree...

Time jumping isn't the problem though, time jumping is tricky but can be a very effective tool if done properly (see Westworld season 1)...

The approach the Witcher show runners took here IMO was lazy, there is no effective way to do time jumping without visual indicators and no world building to establish some sort of a timeline...How are viewers new to the Witcher supposed to follow the story when you don't establish any semblance of a timeline? Repeating the word "destiny" and jumping around is not storytelling...Expecting your viewers to have read either a book or played the games to be able to piece together whats going on is pretty damn idiotic...

Like I said earlier, they have a lot of work to do to make up for their shortcomings this season, specifically with the Nilfgaardian situation which is vital to the overall story and complicated...All they gave us in season 1 is guys in black armor that looks like a scrotum sack attacking the north...That's also why the final episode did not register well with a lot of people...You can't give folk a major battle with no world building and explanation for it...

Exactly. It’s like they made this show only for diehard fans of the books/games. People are using GoT as an example of being thrown into a world, but that’s disingenuous. GoT’s first season has basically no magic. I’m 7 episodes in and I still don’t know wtf the Witcher’s power set is because it’s never explained. shyt, they don’t even really explain what a Witcher is, specifically. They keep saying mutant. Mutated by who?

GoT’s first scene is the White Walkers, and last scene is Dany with the dragons in season 1. GoT has way more clever and intricate world building. For instance, after the White Walkers appear you get the deserter telling Ned about them and then Ned’s conversation with Benjen about them. You generally have characters that explain what is really going on in GoT via cynicism or skepticism. When Tyrion talks to Jon about going to the Wall outside of the feast in the first episode is an example.

In this show shyt just happens over and over again with no real explanation, or reference point as to when it’s happening. I don’t hate the show, but I can definitely understand how someone could. It could’ve been way better. There’s a really dope show here somewhere, but some of the choices they made in terms of direction are flat out nonsensical if you’re trying appeal to a wide demographic (i.e. to include those unfamiliar with the backstory and lore).

Uptown WaYo87

HARLEM/BX
Daps
Exactly. It’s like they made this show only for diehard fans of the books/games. People are using GoT as an example of being thrown into a world, but that’s disingenuous. GoT’s first season has basically no magic. I’m 7 episodes in and I still don’t know wtf the Witcher’s power set is because it’s never explained. shyt, they don’t even really explain what a Witcher is, specifically. They keep saying mutant. Mutated by who?

GoT’s first scene is the White Walkers, and last scene is Dany with the dragons in season 1. GoT has way more clever and intricate world building. For instance, after the White Walkers appear you get the deserter telling Ned about them and then Ned’s conversation with Benjen about them. You generally have characters that explain what is really going on in GoT via cynicism or skepticism. When Tyrion talks to Jon about going to the Wall outside of the feast in the first episode is an example.

In this show shyt just happens over and over again with no real explanation, or reference point as to when it’s happening. I don’t hate the show, but I can definitely understand how someone could. It could’ve been way better. There’s a really dope show here somewhere, but some of the choices they made in terms of direction are flat out nonsensical if you’re trying appeal to a wide demographic (i.e. to include those unfamiliar with the backstory and lore).

The game of thrones comparisons are super unfair IMO. i dont think i ever read the showrunners or cavill compare it to game of thrones, it has always been the media & journalists asking them that question. Then the show comes out and ppl are like this aint nothing like thrones, because it isnt, but people think its subpar because of it.

The only comparison is the fantasy and even that is not the same. GOT was subtle with it and brang it in slowly. The witcher is in your face with it and lets you know from the 1st episode theres monsters, magicians/sorcerer's that can make illusions and cast spells, magic potions, curses, prophecies etc

2 completely different shows

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Eps 6, 7 and 8 suffer from the lack of time. It's still a fun watch but there's way less investment than what could've been. It was fine when the stakes involved small scale stuff but one it starts building to the big final battle, the holes are way more glaring than in the first 3/4 of the season.

All in all it was a good opening season with lost of room for improvement. The good thing is that the story is good and that Cavill kills it as the main character. Yennefer is hot as fukk :noah:

LiveFromLondon

Superstar
Daps
DC really misused cavill :francis:

I was thinking this last night. Ive hated Cavill in every movie he's been in so i expected him to be this show's weak link. I love absolutely everything about this show so far. I even like dandelion.
The nikka lacks charisma and gravita to pull of larger than life characters, this Witcher role is up his alley where he plays a mundane character