Official The New Edition Story Thread

Daps
Reppin
Metro Atlanta
Didn't diddy get them out of their contract with MCA?
That's what it seems like based on what I've read. I'm guessing he was able to work some sort of buyout. They were definitely grateful, but the issues started when it came time to actually record and they creative differences came in.

puffy tried to make new edition into 112 :scusthov:
Exactly. That's the main issue they had. There's an article from '05 when they left Bad Boy where they talked a bit about it:

R&B group New Edition is currently rehearsing for a national tour which kicks off next month and working with Paramount Pictures on the New Edition biopic. The group plans to head back into the studio sometime in the future to record new music, but following last year's fiasco with Bad Boy Records, they plan on taking their time.

Ricky Bell says signing with Bad Boy Records did not live up to the group’s expectations. "We thought it was gonna be like no limits," Bell said. "Let's go all out. Let's just get with the best writers, the best producers, let's just exploit New Edition, like, all the way, and that wasn't the plan. I mean, once we got in with him (P. Diddy), when we didn't agree with him on certain songs, we would get sent home for like six, seven months. You know, it would just be nothing being done."

Bell added that the straw that broke the camel's back was an incident over a song titled "Keep In Touch" which was produced by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Bell said that Combs refused to pay for the song because the group was allegedly over budget, although they had only worked with in-house Bad Boy producers.

According to Bell, Combs didn't respect Jam & Lewis, although the two produced many of New Edition's biggest hits. Eventually Jam & Lewis gave the group the song free of charge, but somehow it still wasn't included on the final version of One Love. Bell explained: "You know that song wasn't on there. It was taken off the album, then there was another song put on the album that wasn't even talked about initially of being on the album. A song that none of us liked. On top of that, Puffy paid himself $50,000, on top of that put a song on it that we didn't like, and we just felt like that was just a slap in the face. No respect."

Following the fallout with Bad Boy Records, reports surfaced that the group was difficult to work with. Group member Johnny Gill addressed the rumors. He said: "Well, I want anyone, whoever has any doubts about us, working with us, look at our 22-year record. I mean, it's not ironic when you look at Bad Boy, not only just us, look at the artists that have come, the artists that are leaving, and everyone that's trying to get out of the situation."

Calls to Bad Boy Records weren't returned at press time.

After reading that, I see why they'd leave that part out of the story. Diddy treated these legends dirty :scust:

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's what it seems like based on what I've read. I'm guessing he was able to work some sort of buyout. They were definitely grateful, but the issues started when it came time to actually record and they creative differences came in.

Exactly. That's the main issue they had. There's an article from '05 when they left Bad Boy where they talked a bit about it:

After reading that, I see why they'd leave that part out of the story. Diddy treated these legends dirty :scust:

:huhldup:

Jerz-2

GOATs Status
Daps
NE heartbreak video version is way better than the album version
"...knock 'em out the box, Rick....knock 'em out, Rick...."

My post in here before about that song, and us dancing in the club...it was to THAT version, the one in the video where Brooke throws them a surprise party and they're riding through L.A. on mopeds.

That choreography :wow: