Official The New Edition Story Thread

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Finished watching this last night and enjoyed it, gave me a better appreciation as to how big NE was back in the day :ehh:and how on point their choreography was.

Good seeing a lot of familiar faces pop up, when I saw Lisa Nicole Carson as one of the moms :gladbron:.

I've heard all or most of the songs growing up, but was too young to really know the timelines of how everything went down from them starting out so young, issues with Bobby :pachaha:, the whole Ralph lead singer dynamic, etc.

Cabbage Patch

The Media scene in V is for Vendetta is the clue
Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
only watched part 1 so far and I wish I could watch it with my mama because she was the one who turned me to NE as a youngin :wow:

them kids signed for $500 and a dirtbike....kind of makes you wonder who actually did sign good deals back then
good deals were signed by people who already had money. See also: taylor swift, beyonce, the olsen twins, that other chick whose father bought her a music career

NE was doomed. But the kids succeeded in spite of their parents, not because of parental support. The two most telling parts was homie leaving the signing, but it wasn't because he thought they were getting screwed but because he was having a personal crisis of choosing music versus playing basketball; and the mothers complaining about still being on welfare. They still hadn't bothered to crack open the contracts and had no retorts for the manager.

R.B.J1

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Wasn't bad. BET is trying to make amends for a decade of c00nfoolery. :yeshrug:

I liked how it didn't feel it was some glossed over revisionist history and the fact the elephant in the room was addressed (only 2 of these nikkas could really sing). :mjlol:

Johny and Ralph can sing, Ricky Bell can hold his own, so technically three of these nikkas can sing.

Mr210

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Did they show when dudes tried to kill Bobby in Boston and he had to use his already dead friend as a shield from bullets in the back of a limo/car?

I remember Bobby talking about the being his most afraid time in a magazine back in the day.

Who was trying to kill him? And why?

Jerz-2

GOATs Status
Daps
I like the scene where they win the Maurice Starr contract, and they come off stage to celebrate and - in slow motion - Brooke immediately starts fixing Bobby's collar. :pachaha:

Either that was to convey just how meticulous Brooke was (e.g., instead of celebrating the win, he's worried about how "professional" Bobby looked), or it was a statement about Bobby always being the rogue exception, right from the start....hell, mebbe both.

MalikX

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Worldwide Entertainment

These Rewind That segments on BET's YouTube channel are a great supplement to the film. Gives the film that much more credibility to have these guys tell the stories from their own words.

Bobby: "it wasn't a fire hose, it was a fire extinguisher" :dead:

As if it mattered :dead: The mental image of that got me :dead: