Official The Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor Thread

E R 11 C

Pro
Daps
Not sure how I feel about season 2.

This season is definitely more about the story than the scares. In that sense, I feel like it was sort of a letdown. But overall a decent watch. Season 2 was predictable at some parts, a bit difficult to follow in the middle episodes, and some of the "big" reveals were just meh. There were a few big moments, but nothing like the "bent neck lady" episode in season 1.

Maybe the narrator / story teller strategy they used took away from the overall effect? I dont know.

I'd be in for a season 3, but only if it returns to season 1 form.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
only on ep 2 but it's not really keeping my attention. and i'm finding out that flanagan only directed the first ep? and it didn't even feel like him

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Really enjoyed this season, almost as much as the first. Neither season is a ghost or horror story, honestly. First season was a family drama and this was a love story. Neither season is all that scary either. The first season had creepier ghosts, and one unforgettable jump scare. What both seasons have is great writing, very well developed relationships between particular characters, and creative, unique, and tight storytelling. Both also lull in the middle, but everything you see has a point and ties together. I was one of the few that didn't want the theory about the first season's ending to be true because I didn't think it needed to go the cliche horror twist ending. Both of these seasons had sad endings imo.

I already think this series blows American Horror Story out of the water as far as horror anthologies, with recurring cast members, go. Though I will say nobody in either season is seeing Sarah Paulson or Jessica Lange as far as performances. Not a diss because those two are amazing. Victoria Pedretti wasn't really given as much to work with this season vs the last, but she still did her thing. Hannah's actress was really good. But Flora stole the show for me. The perfect mix of adorable and creepy af. Her and Miles reminded me of the kids from The Others.

They did a really good job of hiding the ghosts this season. Only noticed a handful, but there's apparently 50+:mjcry:

2CT

Prolific Poster
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My Own 🌍
i’m only 3 episodes in but this shyt light so far :patrice:

first ep was pretty good but the two that followed were :russell: status and i was pretty baked while watching

the story in this season seems way less driven than the one from Hill House, also feels like Hill House did a better job at using certain scenes to build gradually tension whereas this one relies heavily on the jump scares

Last edited:

Strike-Wun

Lion-O Ritchie
Supporter
Daps
This season was very disappointing compared to the first season

I'll watch The Notebook or The Photograph if I was in the mood for some lovey dovey shyt.

Daps
That was, well, disappointing, to say the very least. A disappointing cotdamn mess.

Peter's dream-hopping exchange with his mother, and the unraveling of his abuse (the re-runs matching the admission of those memories), were the ONLY moments where it managed to stick the landing. It was taut, visceral, and poignant, where it gave the existence of a character actual purpose and meaning; it was a fleeting resemblance of the first season, which, unfortunately, was never to be seen again.

KING WILL

Superstar
Daps
Man, this was a step down from some of Mike's other work and even tho I went in think this wouldn't top HH S1, I still feel disappointed.

It took a lil to long to get going, but once it did it was very enjoyable.

Not sure if yall know, but this and The Turning (came out early 2020, or late 19) is based on the same story.

Well, The Turning wasnt good at all and I read a review that said it's not a production issue, it's the actual source material that's horrible.