Official The Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor Thread

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
I gotta get up on this one already.
But so much new shyt just keeps coming out!
:mindblown:

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
All those adaptations are from Henry James 19th century novel, The Turn of the Screw. There are probably a dozen at least, that have a take on the haunted house story.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Episode 8?

:usure:

If the other episodes flailed trying to stay above the surface; that episode pulled down and drowned the season.

I liked the flashback episode...that was one of the highlights of the season to me :yeshrug: I felt they did a good job in humanizing the ghosts. She was reaching out choking her sister looking like scary ass evil monster from the sister’s perspective but from her point of view she was still human like just angry at her sister for killing her, taking her life and trying to take her daughter’s clothes. And she felt hurt when they threw her in the lake. And because she wouldn’t move on she forgot who she was over time. Ghosts are just human spirits who can’t move on and I liked the way they explained that.

Last edited:
Daps
I liked the flashback episode...that was one of the highlights of the season to me :yeshrug: I felt they did a good job in humanizing the ghosts. She was reaching out choking her sister looking like scary ass evil monster from the sister’s perspective but from her point of view she was still human like just angry at her sister for killing her, taking her life and trying to take her daughter’s clothes. And she felt hurt when they threw her in the lake. And because she wouldn’t move on she forgot who she was over time. Ghosts are just human spirits who can’t move on and I liked the way they explained that.
The fact that they took an entire episode to give an exposition dump in the penultimate episode was by far and away, the worst thing about this season. Whatever tension and momentum it had built up to that point, was all lost; it took us out of the world of the characters it spent so much time developing and threw us into a storyline that was a ghost to that (pun intended). It would've been better served to sprinkle the flashbacks throughout each episode when it needed to marry the structure of the storyline and its characters. Not only for flow-on purposes, but to give us a gradual connection and an appetite to want to know more. But instead, it threw us into this storyline with characters that we had absolutely no care for, because it didn't take the time to work them into the narrative and give the viewer a sense of rapport and propinquity.

As for the humanization of the ghosts, well, it was one of the more lifeless (again, pun intended) and generic backstories, that I couldn't quite believe it was the same series that gave us the honest and raw family interpersonal backdrop in the first season. At no point did I feel like there was any humanizing thread that I could grab onto. The hamfisting of the "She would sleep. She would wake. She would walk. She would sleep. She would wake. She would walk." was the straw that broke the camel's back.

And then the final episode rolled around, and I couldn't care less about any of it, even less than I did before.

Daps
They dropped the ball with the child-adult sexual repression, libertinism and abuse, and the cyclical nature of it all. There was a perfect opportunity there to flesh that out through Peter-Miles-Dani, but they half-baked that shyt. That was the true psychological horror that gave previous adaptions their ipseity.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Really enjoyed this season, almost as much as the first. Neither season is a ghost or horror story, honestly. First season was a family drama and this was a love story. Neither season is all that scary either. The first season had creepier ghosts, and one unforgettable jump scare. What both seasons have is great writing, very well developed relationships between particular characters, and creative, unique, and tight storytelling. Both also lull in the middle, but everything you see has a point and ties together. I was one of the few that didn't want the theory about the first season's ending to be true because I didn't think it needed to go the cliche horror twist ending. Both of these seasons had sad endings imo.

I already think this series blows American Horror Story out of the water as far as horror anthologies, with recurring cast members, go. Though I will say nobody in either season is seeing Sarah Paulson or Jessica Lange as far as performances. Not a diss because those two are amazing. Victoria Pedretti wasn't really given as much to work with this season vs the last, but she still did her thing. Hannah's actress was really good. But Flora stole the show for me. The perfect mix of adorable and creepy af. Her and Miles reminded me of the kids from The Others.

They did a really good job of hiding the ghosts this season. Only noticed a handful, but there's apparently 50+:mjcry:
50+???!:ohhh::dahell:I've seen like two:russ::russ::russ::damn::damn::damn::damn::damn::damn:

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Ain't started watching this yet breh. :lupe:

How is it? :lupe:

Fred.
Ahh shiieet never mind that part:dead::dead::dead:Far less ghost scares but, like season 1 the cast is killing it and so far everyone is getting their own backstory episodes.
Ain't started watching this yet breh. :lupe:

How is it? :lupe:

Fred.
There's a lot less scares but the cast is still the strongest point and all the actors/actresses are killing it especially them damn kids:mjlol::mjlol::mjlol::picard::sadcam:Only on episode 5 but apparently this the episode that fukkery really starts:merchant:@Obarth said there's more than 50 of these dead dirtbags and I've only seen 2:pachaha::merchant::merchant::whoa: