Official Queen & Slim Thread

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
There were a few corny moments such as the way they died and fell on top of each other & the part about him kissing her scars or some shyt. Bokeem killed it and I feel the first hour or so was the strongest. Worst moment of the film has to be the sex scene mixed with the boy killing the cop. Tf was that about :gucci:
To me... It was the fact they was enjoying the fame a little too much.. The kid's dad said he didn't approve and said it was stupid to have these people follow them. Then the kid goes to their rally and wants to be immortal too.. Thinks I'll kill a cop and I'll be like them, cause I'm not gonna be shyt anyway... Meanwhile the ones who started all this, ain't there, ain't seeing the repercussions and are actually having a good old time in the woods making love, while kids are thinking it's cool to kill cops...... And who got killed? A black cop just trying to get home

Something about misguided youth and all cops ain't bad and be an example is the message

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Yep. Twice last year. Thankfully 1 of the cops was black and calmed down the jumpy cop.

1. Thats fine but o wouldn't want that to be perceived as im not taking pulling serioudly. Or that im not totally focused. My car and radio are off.

2. But shes not just a woman but a defense attorney.

3. Maybe she did but i still think thats far fetch. We know what haooens in those situations..the best thing is to do is to record. Have that mug on your hand when you hop out.

4. Yes, agsin maybe that part aint far fetch. But it makes you look more guilty. Plud sll the more resson to shoot. Personally im going to the pplice station and tske my chance in court.
Do 155 years in prison brehs... nikka picked up a cops gun and shot him point blank in the face... on what part of white america is the justice system letting you live with that?

An attorney wouldn't do what she did off the bat. They believe in the justice system. They should have showed her progression to coming to terms with the idea of running rather than her encouraging it mindlessly from the jump. I could see slim doing that. not her. And the key word is the HE killed the cop. Technically she was innocent and just a victim of an unjustified police shooting. She was in the clear. But all of sudden she wants to commit a bunch of crime outta nowhere with a guy she just met and didnt like?
SHE did not believe though.. And who said she was successful. We heard about two cases. Her uncle she did for free.. And the case she lost where her client was executed that morning

Last edited:

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Do 155 years in prison brehs... nikka picked up a cops gun and shot him point blank in the face... on what part of white america is the justice system letting you live with that?

SHE did not believe though.. And who said she was successful. We heard about two cases. Her uncle she did for free.. And the case she lost where her client was executed that morning
Prison you at least got a chance. Being dead is permenant

NoGutsNoGLory

Superstar
Daps
I've said earlier this movie was shea butter Twitter fantasy. And if you keep it on fantasy level it works and is actually a good movie. The problem is it was pushed and marketed (ironically partially by shea butter twitter) as unapologetically black and authentic. And it's not.

Beyond the stereotypical exaggerated black characters Black folks couldnt even get on code to boycott the nfl or high end designer clothes for a few days but we all gonna get behind a random couple wanted for shooting a cop. Folks ain't risking their lives and jobs by being an accomplice aiding and abetting them. The black cop letting them go, the whole night club knowing them and nobody snitching, the mechanic helping them and his kid being influenced to kill another cop. All fantasy and not even close to realistic.
:russ:breh for a 500k bounty too, they wouldve never left Ohio.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
Saw this and my reaction is :skip:

I need more time to digest it. But the problems I have with Lena Waithe’s writing appeared in this film a lot.

I could see how people could walk away from this movie with every reaction. I could understand someone calling it trash. I can understand someone calling it a beautiful tragic love story. I could see someone saying it traumatizes them. I can see it all.

Oh well time to read you guys thoughts

The Wolf Among You

Superstar
Daps
I just came from seeing this, and I think Lena Waithe’s writing is so damn bland and juvenile. Like the dialogue is so stiff and uninteresting, and like others have mentioned it’s heavy handed as hell, not an inkling of subtlety.
A lot of really weird moments too, the gas station scene made no sense, the fat kid’s dad felt like a damn caricature, that entire scene I had the :dahell: face.
I feel like a lot of things they did didn’t serve the story but was included to get cheap praise from Twitter and blogs.

I don’t wanna shyt on the movie too much though because there are some things I like.
I really enjoyed Daniel Kaluya and Bokeem Woodbine’s performances, the soundtrack is great, I liked the bar dancing scene, I think that’s my favorite part of the movie.

I think this was an interesting concept that could’ve been done very well in more skilled and less pretentious hands.

A.R.$

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Just saw it. While the movie is far from perfect and have some major flaws, I personally enjoyed it. It kept my attention for the entire 2 hours. I looked at it as more of a romance movie centered around a case of police brutality. My main problem was the kid killing the Black cop for no reason. It was no reasons that should of been in the movie. I also didn’t like how Slim let dude hold his gun at the gas station.

At first I was mad at how they kept stopping and doing stupid shyt like going out to dance, riding horses, putting there heads out of the window, and several other dumb moves. But I started to think about it and it makes sense. They didn’t truly believe they would make it out of this situation alive, and wanted to enjoy life while they could.

Overall it was a good movie. My wife cried at the end. I think we can be over critical at times.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The weirdest thing about this film for me is how much the dialog between the characters throughout the movie stuck with me. I don't remember the last time that I enjoyed the written dialog in a film, but then cringed or raised an eyebrow at how the actual story was written.

The lines about photos being proof that you're here
The line about black people not having the benefit of just being themselves, and feeling the constant pressure of being better
The "where do babies" come from story
The themes on legacy

I don't get the criticism on the dialog between the characters being trash, I felt that that was a strong point for me...

While I was watching the movie, I couldn't help but notice how the movie depicted all the main black characters in a light that I wasn't vibing with. I mentioned it to my wife on the ride home, like... Lena wasn't subtle at all with her feelings about black men.

Slim is a naive, timid man with no ambition. I got that early on, but Lena had to really paint the character as a clown even further by throwing in that scene where he hands the gas station clerk his gun. Seriously?

-The father and son at the food joint
-The Uncle who killed his own sister, that is also a pimp
-The young kid merking the cop could have been executed better, I mean... "I got it" but IMO the scenes with him talking to Queen and Slim before that happened really didn't paint that kid as one that was capable of doing what he did
-The Gold Mouth Florida breh who snitched on em (crazy but in the original script, this character wasn't even black, but she made him black in the film)

On the surface level, I GOT what the purpose was for the general story, now after sitting with it for a week or so, I just feel like some things weren't executed all that well. I ain't gonna front, I would have been highly critical if the film just ended after they got shot up on the runway.