Official Queen & Slim Thread

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Just saw this,

The directors aesthetic, the cinematography is stunning, the setting, the music, stylistically, it is a near masterpiece. It actually reminds me very much of Spring Breakers, and of course, it essentially is a 2019 "Belly", which influenced everything about the movie, and the directors style. I loved the acting, I loved that is was such a contemporary story, a Tinder date gone wrong? And the acting is strong enough in the first 2 minutes, you wish the movie could just go on like that, the writing in those scenes is sharp and timely, very similar to the indefinable currentness of Insecure's best moments.

The tension in the rising action is perfect, because you know it's going bad, but how will it get there, with such prepared, innocent people? There's a grim theme in that tension. The movie is a fairy tale of sorts, a folk tale, the way for thousands of years stories were told to explain, to triumph, to process (grief, pain, joy romance). I don't think one has ever been made like this, taking police brutality, and placing it so far into the realm of the righteous. It's a very, very bold move. I can only imagine the Fox News crowd, when this comes across their nightly talking points.

That is incredible in itself. The movie makes no excuses for itself, or it's characters. The themes are varied and layered, sometimes the script badly falters, almost jarringly, with some clunky lines, that are saved by the actors delivering them. But, I barely remember those parts, I do remember the gorgeous and lush score, the dreamy drive across the South, the characters they met on the way. One moment that stood out, is the hamfisted "I represented my Mom's killer scene", the movie doesn't have to be realistic, but that should have been cleaned up a little.

If you are looking for blistering realism, this isn't the right movie. There are many of those movies, and will likely be many more, even better ones. This is doing something entirely different, almost. I didn't like the ending, I would have preferred the picturesque beauty of the last scene, without the heavy handed violence, but that's just a personal choice. The other shooting in the movie was also, jarring, and felt out of place, forced, not needed. That, played counter to the love scene was not lost on me, but I still didn't care for it.

The pushback against the movie is bizarre, I think most younger audience won't really connect, if they are already invested in the themes of the movie. It will seem overlong, and too artistically inclined for most mainstream movie audiences. But, think of a folk tale, a major studio, where the HEROES have killed a police officer. It has never been done before? And may never be done again, as beautifully, or lovingly, as this was. But, these stories will keep being told, and being told in different ways, until perhaps, the days when brutal killings shot on smartphones are as distant as water hoses and pitbulls.

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
Professional reviewer:

'

Where was this loud ego and energy when Jason Mitchell was supposedly violating females on the set of HER show. Nowhere to be found and left it to someone else to deal with him like a coward.But has no problem calling out black figures in Hollywood because they won't fukk with her...

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
. But, think of a folk tale, a major studio, where the HEROES have killed a police officer. It has never been done before? And may never be done again, as beautifully, or lovingly, as this was. .
Bonnie and Clyde and every film about John Dillinger had audience rooting for people who took out cops. Those films were about criminals. Certain there are other hit films with non criminals who get confronted by and end up taking out corrupt cops.....and the audience roots for them as law enforcement tracks them down.

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you are looking for blistering realism, this isn't the right movie. There are many of those movies, and will likely be many more, even better ones. This is doing something entirely different, almost. I didn't like the ending, I would have preferred the picturesque beauty of the last scene, without the heavy handed violence, but that's just a personal choice. The other shooting in the movie was also, jarring, and felt out of place, forced, not needed. That, played counter to the love scene was not lost on me, but I still didn't care for it.

The pushback against the movie is bizarre, I think most younger audience won't really connect, if they are already invested in the themes of the movie. It will seem overlong, and too artistically inclined for most mainstream movie audiences. But, think of a folk tale, a major studio, where the HEROES have killed a police officer. It has never been done before? And may never be done again, as beautifully, or lovingly, as this was. But, these stories will keep being told, and being told in different ways, until perhaps, the days when brutal killings shot on smartphones are as distant as water hoses and pitbulls.

I've said earlier this movie was shea butter Twitter fantasy. And if you keep it on fantasy level it works and is actually a good movie. The problem is it was pushed and marketed (ironically partially by shea butter twitter) as unapologetically black and authentic. And it's not.

Beyond the stereotypical exaggerated black characters Black folks couldnt even get on code to boycott the nfl or high end designer clothes for a few days but we all gonna get behind a random couple wanted for shooting a cop. Folks ain't risking their lives and jobs by being an accomplice aiding and abetting them. The black cop letting them go, the whole night club knowing them and nobody snitching, the mechanic helping them and his kid being influenced to kill another cop. All fantasy and not even close to realistic.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Tariq Nasheed just did a live chat on it. Link should be available soon. Hes in the movie did not make sense. Pointing out most of the things said in the thread.
He pointed out how one of the bad guys was supposed to be a fat white man, but was changed to a black stereotype by Hollywood.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
maaaaaaan.
that Lena Waithe broad is really fukkin hard on the eyes.
she keeps poppin up on my GOOGLE news feeds on my jack.
she look like a old school Red Hook stick-up kid.
:scust:

Daps
I've said earlier this movie was shea butter Twitter fantasy. And if you keep it on fantasy level it works and is actually a good movie. The problem is it was pushed and marketed (ironically partially by shea butter twitter) as unapologetically black and authentic. And it's not.

Beyond the stereotypical exaggerated black characters Black folks couldnt even get on code to boycott the nfl or high end designer clothes for a few days but we all gonna get behind a random couple wanted for shooting a cop. Folks ain't risking their lives and jobs by being an accomplice aiding and abetting them. The black cop letting them go, the whole night club knowing them and nobody snitching, the mechanic helping them and his kid being influenced to kill another cop. All fantasy and not even close to realistic.

Who stated that it is supposedly to be realistic, though? Nothing realistic happens in Black Panther. Are people supposed to harp on that? People who are judging a project by its marketing or something a writer stated within an interview have not not seen what they are foaming at the mouth about because that has to be the absolute silliest shyt ever.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Bonnie and Clyde and every film about John Dillinger had audience rooting for people who took out cops. Those films were about criminals. Certain there are other hit films with non criminals who get confronted by and end up taking out corrupt cops.....and the audience roots for them as law enforcement tracks them down.

Black heroes, who kill a white cop, I didn't think I needed to say explicitly, and who are not outlaws by choice, but by design in a racist world. I don't know how to qualify "unapologetically black" , but there was rarely a white moment, or a white joke, or a white character in the movie. And the films writer and director have said it was a movie for black people, not white, not for everybody.

How does one acknowledge, (a few posts above) the movie works as a fantasy (of sorts, I prefer folk tale or urban legend) and then say it wasn't realistic how the people they encountered along the way, helped them, informed them, even betrayed them? Not unlike something like the Undergound Railroad, or the performance, so called "chitlin" circuit in the South, during the 1800's and 1900's.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Black heroes, who kill a white cop, I didn't think I needed to say explicitly, and who are not outlaws by choice, but by design in a racist world. I don't know how to qualify "unapologetically black" , but there was rarely a white moment, or a white joke, or a white character in the movie. And the films writer and director have said it was a movie for black people, not white, not for everybody.
nah, there have to be some films released in the blaxploitation era with that description.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
nah, there have to be some films released in the blaxploitation era with that description.
how could i forget Sweet Sweetback's Badass Song?

exact same theme

Last edited:

Knowledge

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just seen it. There was no white savior like everyone is saying. The white couple, the husband served in the military with the uncle and they were part of the plan. If anything it was the black cop that didn't snitch on them from leaving the white couple's house that's the savior. nikka at the end ain't shyt tho but it fits on how people really are. Overall I enjoyed it. The only problem I had was the Lil boy pulling out a gun and shooting a brother/cop in the face for no reason.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I liked the movie:yeshrug:
me too.. and so did everyone else in the theater who was clapping afterwards... And the girl I took damn near hit me with that car scene in the parking lot, so I KNOW she was feeling it. Went to see it at the hood theater too. Sounded like Ace watching Scarface up in that joint

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Let me ask this, to those that say it was all her fault... If that exact situation happened to you, at what point do you do something different.. Breh was telling her shut up, get in the car, complying... He still had a gun on him, the girl shot, and you don't know what's gonna happen next...

Lets say you teleport in his body after the cop is dead... you gonna turn yourself in and leave your fate up to the law and the cops?

Was this Malcolm X? Hell no.. But for $10, it was entertaining for 2 hours and I'll take it.. Sometimes I think people ask too much in a movie.. It's a fukking movie.. Watch it and talk shyt the whole time and go home. Lets keep it 1000. If you really break it down, most of these hood flicks have TERRIBLE plots that don't work out. Just name one