Official Queen & Slim Thread

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
"Widows" had SO much potential, especially with the political angle. The movie veered into another direction and led to a redundant plotline.

1542226235-widows.jpg

The whole widows story line was terrible. Movie should have just been about Paper Boi and Daniel vs the Racist White dude.

ESCAPADE

⭐️
Daps
Reppin
United States
I know what @junie means most black movies are either about crime, corny romance/comedy movies, "surviving/struggling" in the hood, or about some slave movie/ racism where black people are constantly kicked around throughout the film. This movie fits into the struggling hood and racism category. And tbh those categories I listed literally Damn near 90%+ of black movie can fall under one of those categories. It gets boring after all these decades.

there’s been multiple movies with black leads not about those topics and y’all chose not to watch them

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
How about a movie where black people aren't an oppressed minority

I just hate how we have to choose. We're creative and versatile. I understand the desire for escapism and imagining a world where black people are more than their skin and circumstance, but that doesn't mean we have to hate or abandon authentic explorations about real shyt that affects us. It doesn't have to be either/or. We can do both/and.

Speaking of...it looks like a lot of folks have trouble with nuance and generalizations when it comes to black films.:mjlol:

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
I just hate how we have to choose. We're creative and versatile. I understand the desire for escapism and imagining a world where black people are more than their skin and circumstance, but that doesn't mean we have to hate or abandon authentic explorations about real shyt that affects us. It doesn't have to be either/or. We can do both/and.

Speaking of...it looks like a lot of folks have trouble with nuance and generalizations when it comes to black films.:mjlol:

The funny thing is she would have treated the Harriet movie with the respect it needs.

sunny80

All Star
Daps
What is a Black film then? The lead of both of those are Black, and a bunch of supporting characters in Captive State are Black, too. What are all of these slave stories you are referring to by the way because I can name six that have received a wide release since the 90s? What the hell are “struggle life narratives, too?” It is a drama, so what the hell else is there supposed to be? Black and white dramas have struggle in them because that is an aspect of the genre, so such an assessment just reads as insecurity being projected unto others.
You know exactly what I mean :stopitslime:

I'm not entertained by stereotypical, mediocre movies.

Daps
You know exactly what I mean :stopitslime:

I'm not entertained by stereotypical, mediocre movies.

I obviously have no idea what you mean because I am asking you. You must not know what you mean either seeing as you are not able to answer that. I see that you tacitly express that you have not seen Captive Stave or Gemini Man, as totally expected, even though those are the supposed projects that you want. What do you guys seek out and bash what you say that you do not want in place of actually supporting what you do want. You are able to do both. However, you guys just straight up are not supporting what you say you want judging by box office receipts.

Last edited:

sunny80

All Star
Daps
I obviously have no idea what you mean because I am asking you. You must not know what you mean either seeing as you are not able to answer that. I see that you tacitly express that you have not seen Captive Stave or Gemini Man, as totally expected, even though those are the supposed projects that you want. What do you guys seek out and bash what you say that you do not want in place of actually supporting what you do want. You are able to do both. However, you guys just straight up are not supporting what you say you want judging by box office receipts.
:what: I have seen Gemini Man. Where did I type that I have not seen these movies? You must be referring to another poster.

I specifically said black movies. These are not black movies. Stop quoting me with your bullshyt.

Daps
BLACK LEAD DOESNT EQUAL BLACK MOVIE.

THEYRE TALKING ABOUT MOVIES
WITH A MAJORITY BLACK CAST.

DUMMIES IN HERE

CALLING WILL SMITH MOVIES
BLACK MOVIES.

:devil:
:evil:

So is John David Washington starring in Christopher Nolan’s next project not going to mean anything to you guys, and are you going to search for reasons not to watch it as you have with Captive State and Gemini Man?