Official Queen & Slim Thread

Barlow

He,Him,Nigguh
Daps
cmon breh. you're being disingenuous.

you think denzel ain't do extra research on malcolm for his role in the film?

all actors research the roles of real life characters they play, regardless of their knowledge of the person
You’re not about to sit here and tell me Denzel “didn’t understand” Malcolm x and had to learn about him through the script.

or that he went to Walmart and asked where the hood at for training day. Well actually Walmart would make a bit more sense because black Americans from the hood actually shop there.

Low End Derrick

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
You’re not about to sit here and tell me Denzel “didn’t understand” Malcolm x and had to learn about him through the script.

not as much as he would've wanted, i'm sure

or that he went to Walmart and asked where the hood at for training day. Well actually Walmart would make a bit more sense because black Americans from the hood actually shop there.

shiiiit, probably

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
I'm sick of these types of movies. I want black sci-fi, black mystery, black adventure or anything outside of the same stereotypes they keep feeding us.
"Widows" had SO much potential, especially with the political angle. The movie veered into another direction and led to a redundant plotline.

1542226235-widows.jpg

Last edited:

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps

Actually... That exactly the case. DENZEL Washington said himself he didn't much about Malcolm X and had to learn about him through the script. Don't believe me?

Said it himself :laff: verbatim

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I'm sick of these types of movies. I want black sci-fi, black mystery, black adventure or anything outside of the same stereotypes they keep feeding us.

Can you name another black movie like this, with this premise? What stereotypes are you referring to? This story seems pretty original to me. People seem to dislike black movies dealing with racism, but racism is a constant presence in black life. That's not a stereotype, that's real. However, the way a film approaches the topic of racism still can be fresh and interesting. It looks like it will be here.

sunny80

All Star
Daps
Can you name another black movie like this, with this premise? What stereotypes are you referring to? This story seems pretty original to me. People seem to dislike black movies dealing with racism, but racism is a constant presence in black life. That's not a stereotype, that's real. However, the way a film approaches the topic of racism still can be fresh and interesting. It looks like it will be here.
Crime, racism, police, drugs. The typical bs. Its the black version of Bonnie and Clyde. That is not new, original nor inspiring.

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
How about a movie where black people aren't an oppressed minority

Daps
Gemini Man and Captive State are not black movies. I'm talking about black movies here. I'm sick of the usual stereotypical black films. And I'm even more sick of the usual romance, crime, slave and struggle life narratives.

What is a Black film then? The lead of both of those are Black, and a bunch of supporting characters in Captive State are Black, too. What are all of these slave stories you are referring to by the way because I can name six that have received a wide release since the 90s? What the hell are “struggle life narratives, too?” It is a drama, so what the hell else is there supposed to be? Black and white dramas have struggle in them because that is an aspect of the genre, so such an assessment just reads as insecurity being projected unto others.

Last edited:

UncleTomFord15

Veteran
Daps
I know what @junie means most black movies are either about crime, corny romance/comedy movies, "surviving/struggling" in the hood, or about some slave movie/ racism where black people are constantly kicked around throughout the film. This movie fits into the struggling hood and racism category. And tbh those categories I listed literally Damn near 90%+ of black movie can fall under one of those categories. It gets boring after all these decades.