Official Queen & Slim Thread

Charlie Broadway

Greg Ward Jr. SZN
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I’m kinda interested but Lena Waithe is the one who’s making me skeptical. I’ll wait to hear some reviews.

As far as the British actors being the leads, idc as long as they aren’t disrespecting black Americans. I think roles like that are fair game and may the best actor get the part. Now roles of famous ADOS/black American historical figures are the ones that should be handled with more care. Technically I’m still “best qualified gets the job” though. I just find it extremely hard to believe that an ADOS actor isn’t the best person to play MLK or Harriet Tubman but if a non ADOS person is just flat out better then they should get the part (and no I don’t think this is the case with the Selma and Harriet films).

I think the negative energy should be directed at the folks running things in Hollywood and the British film industry. They’re the pieces of shyt pitting us against each other. Taking it even further, I’m tired of us complaining about Hollywood. We know how cacs are. We should be doing our own thing, but how many of us would even support us doing our own thing? Ppl talk a lot of shyt but when it’s time to walk the walk a lot of nikkas make it clear they think the white mans ice is colder.

We are the taste makers in entertainment. We make shyt hot. We talk about celebrity sellouts and c00ns but we have an opportunity to support independent black entertainment and make our own stars. We don’t need huge budgets, cgi, or Hollywood approved c00ns to tell and enjoy good stories.

shyt I’m rambling and said way more than I planned

kwazzy100

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
It is

Dark women are always suffering in these kinds of films

But when you watch movies with Light skin women in Tyler Perry films or Monster with Halle Berry, what do you call that? :dahell:
It should be a good thing black women are shown as defiant and smart instead of damsels in distress and weak

Low End Derrick

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Yeah, I think it was his hot 97 interview.

and like someone else said, he’s playing Fred Hampton and knew nothing about the black panthers. I’ll also pass on that

cmon breh. you're being disingenuous.

you think denzel ain't do extra research on malcolm for his role in the film?

all actors research the roles of real life characters they play, regardless of their knowledge of the person

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
The movie starring the guy who went to a Costco in Ohio and asked “where da hoods at” so he can prepare for said role? :mjlol:

nah I’ll pass. I’m sure it’ll be another forgettable movie like all these other black American movies with “superior” British actors

I watched that same interview.

- he went to Costco in Cleveland to people watch and just get a sense of what different people in Cleveland/Ohio are like.
- one of the people who worked at Costco knew who he was and he went to chill with the employees at the back (learned how much they make, why being a young brotha making $38 an hour on a Sunday can make you feel like that dude etc.)
- he then asked those employees where the hoods in Cleveland are and what they were like and the difference between them
- he then said he went to a few and walked around.

Whether you believe him or not is one thing, but to simply say “he went to Costco and asked ‘where da hoods at?’ is disingenuous.

But I’ll fall back and continue to watch the usual Coli narratives play themselves out.

TQ4v7G1.png