[Official] [PS5] Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth. Feb 29th 2024. NO SPOILERS

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
I don't believe anyone admonished bring a completion isn't any, so I'm not sure why thisnpost has a defensive tone about it, lol. Cats was just saying that if you aren't longing for extras in the game, then you're fully able to do without them, if you wish, as most don't change the story much any. Bring a completionist if just fine. I'd say that swuare out a considerable amount of solid extras here if you want to stay in this world longer, which is usually a good problem to have.
You’re still going to have to complete a lot of that content though, so it’s not technically optional.

Again, you’re not leveling up your materia, your party level to upgrade skills or your level without engaging in that open world content that Chadley interrupts you at every turn.

Cats are bugging if you sit here and say you can’t complete the game without having to do any of that stuff.

Balla

Superstar
Daps
One of my controllers just started doing that and the other one doesn't have that problem but it's battery dies super quick. Annoying as hell

Dualsense controllers have been ass IMO
Yeah it’s crazy. At least you don’t need the star to get the trophy for it.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
I think the problem here, specifically, is the overall side content quality did not improve much from the first game.

The side quests were all pretty boring (usually juvenile) story lines that were inconsequential to the main plot and often just an excuse to exercise the battle system under varying conditions to keep things interesting. Nothing was as interesting as the side quests you would find in games this game takes direct influence from like The Witcher 3 or GOW.

Furthermore, this game doubled down on the quantity of these side quests, and added in a lot of open world fluff you see in Ubisoft games, and that's why it feels like filler content. Almost everything pertaining to Chadley is mindless open world busy work with no purpose.

If the side content was written better then it wouldn't feel like filler or busy work, but overall @Fatboi1 has a point that all of this is optional and is secondary to the already solid main scenario. But this is definitely one of the few areas where this series still needs to improve for the 3rd title.

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
They also buffed some things in Rebirth, such as aerial combat and practically being able to never touch the ground with it.

Also, Remakenis definitely more filler than Rebirth in the fact that most of Remake's add ons are inconsequential and meaningless. With how it's done in Rebirth, it's at least highly variable, meaningful in character lore, world building and rewards. It's also mostly just expanding on how disc 2 was to the scope of today's tech and mechanics work. The amount of padding and comparably flawed and superfluous padding at that to Remake for the Midgar section just to stretch 5 hours of game to 40 as opposed to 20+ hours to 60-80 hours for Rebirth's comparative time frame of the originals game portions is wild. Ionno how anyone in their right mind can even prefer Remake to Rebirth. And I loved Remake. shyt, the padding stuff in Rebirth is mostly skippable anyways if you don't want to do it.

Came in here to say this. My recollection of Remake was it had more of the boring fetch quests from random NPCs that you see once and never again. That, to me, made the world feel lifeless compared to Rebirth, where yes you do some of those same things, but the variety is massive. There's a lot of "go here and kill these rats" or "find all the missing kids hidden around the slums" type missions in the Remake. Rebirth is basically that plus a baker's dozen mini-games, some better than others, but most are well done IMO.

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
I think the problem here, specifically, is the overall side content quality did not improve much from the first game.

The side quests were all pretty boring (usually juvenile) story lines that were inconsequential to the main plot and often just an excuse to exercise the battle system under varying conditions to keep things interesting. Nothing was as interesting as the side quests you would find in games this game takes direct influence from like The Witcher 3 or GOW.

Furthermore, this game doubled down on the quantity of these side quests, and added in a lot of open world fluff you see in Ubisoft games, and that's why it feels like filler content. Almost everything pertaining to Chadley is mindless open world busy work with no purpose.

If the side content was written better then it wouldn't feel like filler or busy work, but overall @Fatboi1 has a point that all of this is optional and is secondary to the already solid main scenario. But this is definitely one of the few areas where this series still needs to improve for the 3rd title.

You have a point here. I personally have been enjoying the side content, but I think you are spot on with saying it's Ubisoft-esque busy work. The first thing I thought when I left Kalm was "this feels like old school Assassin's Creed" with the open world exploration.

The Witcher 3 is the gold standard as far as side plot lines are concerned, and I get your point -- very few companies will have the talent to write as well as CD Projekt Red does.

I think this game is essentially the same as the Remake, but with more optional content. I mean, the story is the story, and it's clear that every element of the original has been fleshed out in Rebirth, much like it was in the Remake. You still have missions from NPCs, who might as well be nameless, to fetch some item or kill some baddie, much like it was in the Remake. The only major difference I can see are the callbacks to the original's minigames, Queen's Blood (more of a nod to FF8 & 9 card games), and a few new activities you discover at Costa Del Sol. There's nothing that the Remake does that's objectively better than Rebirth -- it's just a matter of if you enjoy the extra side shyt, which is 100% subjective and also seemingly skippable.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
You have a point here. I personally have been enjoying the side content, but I think you are spot on with saying it's Ubisoft-esque busy work. The first thing I thought when I left Kalm was "this feels like old school Assassin's Creed" with the open world exploration.

The Witcher 3 is the gold standard as far as side plot lines are concerned, and I get your point -- very few companies will have the talent to write as well as CD Projekt Red does.

I think this game is essentially the same as the Remake, but with more optional content. I mean, the story is the story, and it's clear that every element of the original has been fleshed out in Rebirth, much like it was in the Remake. You still have missions from NPCs, who might as well be nameless, to fetch some item or kill some baddie, much like it was in the Remake. The only major difference I can see are the callbacks to the original's minigames, Queen's Blood (more of a nod to FF8 & 9 card games), and a few new activities you discover at Costa Del Sol. There's nothing that the Remake does that's objectively better than Rebirth -- it's just a matter of if you enjoy the extra side shyt, which is 100% subjective and also seemingly skippable.
In the case of some materia being nerfed and gameplay perspective, Remake definitely does a better job. There was no logical or gameplay reason why some of those percentage increases are capped at 30%.

The trade offs and allowing you do do attacks airborne wasn’t worth it.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
In the case of some materia being nerfed and gameplay perspective, Remake definitely does a better job. There was no logical or gameplay reason why some of those percentage increases are capped at 30%.

The perfect guard negating damage taken altogether and having materia that makes that even easier to do, on top of adding stagger to enemies is > overstocking HP materia. Especially when you capped at 9999 anyway.

Balla

Superstar
Daps
The perfect guard negating damage taken altogether and having materia that makes that even easier to do, on top of adding stagger to enemies is > overstocking HP materia. Especially when you capped at 9999 anyway.
Is perfect guard the Precision Defense Focus Materia? If so, I need to use that shyt. I haven’t used it because I hate blocking.

:pachaha: :pachaha:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

I think this is why I'm not bothered by so called "filler" or side quests. For the most part, they're not part of the main story and if I feel like doing them I'll do it. Compared to Remake they're much better in that it either has something that ties in to a mini game or you get something worth using in the game e.g. materia, equipment etc.

In Remake some of the side quests were doing shyt like finding cats, missing kids or other meaningless stuff but then again I go in with expectations that side quests are basically disguises meant for leveling up since the OG games we ran in circles waiting for a battle.

Though it would be nice if we got Cyberpunk 2077 esque side quests. I do like the mini game where you break boxes to stack up points. That's my favorite mini game so far. I wish they made a bunch of em.

Last edited:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Is perfect guard the Precision Defense Focus Materia? If so, I need to use that shyt. I haven’t used it because I hate blocking.

:pachaha: :pachaha:
Yes. And there's also an earring version that you can wear as an accessory which is the maxed out version of the materia without even using a materia slot. But materia is sooo nerfed tho. :francis:

Balla

Superstar
Daps
Yes. And there's also an earring version that you can wear as an accessory which is the maxed out version of the materia without even using a materia slot. But materia is sooo nerfed tho. :francis:
Yeah, I noticed materia is way more ass now. Did it take 2 Atbs to do the strongest magic? I could have sworn that it was only one in the last game.

That didn’t need to be changed.