[Official] [PS5] Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth. Feb 29th 2024. NO SPOILERS

Balla

Superstar
Daps
When people say the game has too much filler. I wonder what they would like to see instead.

I’m guessing some more story driven side quests or something because with a map this big, they had no choice but to add so many combat data quests.

Only thing I can think of adding is more story driven quests, dungeons, and maybe more npc areas like different towns and villages, but I feel they did ok with everything so far.

I’m almost done with chapter 9, idk if they’ll have a night map, but I want them to add this bad.

I’ll tell you this, this is a way better map than 16 by far.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
When people say the game has too much filler. I wonder what they would like to see instead.

I’m guessing some more story driven side quests or something because with a map this big, they had no choice but to add so many combat data quests.

Only thing I can think of adding is more story driven quests, dungeons, and maybe more npc areas like different towns and villages, but I feel they did ok with everything so far.

I’m almost done with chapter 9, idk if they’ll have a night map, but I want them to add this bad.

It basically boils down to people not knowing if they want a minimal frills and thrills linear game with zone based maps or how we had it in here with a fully open world map separated by regions that feel distinctly different from one another. I prefer this as the world so far has been a sight to behold. Seeing some of these locales from a distance is just incredible. I used to always imagine how some of these towns would look with modern tech and they delivered even with the fully open map.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
It basically boils down to people not knowing if they want a minimal frills and thrills linear game with zone based maps or how we had it in here with a fully open world map separated by regions that feel distinctly different from one another. I prefer this as the world so far has been a sight to behold. Seeing some of these locales from a distance is just incredible. I used to always imagine how some of these towns would look with modern tech and they delivered even with the fully open map.
Yeah, just from a visual standpoint, each level's distinctive look is a sight to behold. The fact that the terrain and traversal of it is considerably more diverse and interactive than what's typical in JRPGs, is a definitive win in my book, as in these regards, it's never been done this good in any other Final Fantasy game to date and not many other JRPGs either from what I can think of. Not to this level of detail and variety. It's very easy to get lost in immersion in this world, as its quite interesting to just explore every new area you're in and see how differently it's mapped out to approach them. I get that the open world template is still very present here and I think the only way that not be harked on by folks if they hide everything in an Souls/Elden Ring like format when it comes to scouring the lands. I get that, to some degree, but it's still just fine and typically convenient to have modern open world sensibilities in store for games like these to keep all that shyt easily trackable rather than trying to make everything based on memory alone.

Last edited:

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps

This is a good question, because there's only so much source material, and I'm positive that if they take too many liberties with adding on to that, you're also going to piss off the players. I mean, I remember a lot of people bytching at like the parts where you go to Jessie's house and the fukkery with Roche.

There's just no pleasing everyone. Some people want to complain just to complain.

Balla

Superstar
Daps
This is a good question, because there's only so much source material, and I'm positive that if they take too many liberties with adding on to that, you're also going to piss off the players. I mean, I remember a lot of people bytching at like the parts where you go to Jessie's house and the fukkery with Roche.

There's just no pleasing everyone. Some people want to complain just to complain.
People really complained about that part? I loved that part. It was nice to see a different sector and have it actually be apart of the story.

That shyt was lit.

Camammal

Half Man Half Mammal
Daps
Reppin
Marcy
Wow. I fukked up and put it on performance mode… now I can’t go back to graphics mode :scust: that shyt playing in slow motion basically, even the menus are slower. I’ll gladly sacrifice a little clarity

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm

That’s the problem. Sometimes less is more and not every game or area needs a full open world to explore. It’s a waste of a games budget in most cases especially since you’re having to pad content to justify the space.

It’s the same criticism that Ubisoft and other games have gotten and this one shouldn’t get a pass because of people’s attachment to the original game.

16 and Rebirth are completely different games so it’s unfair to compare to the point.

Balla

Superstar
Daps
That’s the problem. Sometimes less is more and not every game or area needs a full open world to explore. It’s a waste of a games budget in most cases especially since you’re having to pad content to justify the space.

It’s the same criticism that Ubisoft and other games have gotten and this one shouldn’t get a pass because of people’s attachment to the original game.

16 and Rebirth are completely different games so it’s unfair to compare to the point.
I could have sworn I’ve seen this map being compared to the Witcher and some other game on how the map or side quests should be done or something.

How are Rebirth and 16 different? They both are action based rpgs with maps to explore.

I have to compare them because 16 was so bland, I couldn’t believe they didn’t have anything really to do like that.

Now you have this game with a lot to do for the most part. I can tell they really tried to give you things to do while still providing a big map.

I enjoy the map and if I didn’t I’d just skip it and wouldn’t even bad mad if I didn’t like what was on the map. I’d still appreciate that they did try to have a variety of different things while also having many large maps.

I don’t even think people are giving it a pass because of the attachment, they genuinely like the game.

For me it’s just fun.

So, you either have a map like this, a map like 16 with nothing to do, or you get a game with no map and what others call hallways.

What do you think they should have done with the map, make it smaller with less objectives?

I’m really trying to find out what could have been done better with the map in this game.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
I could have sworn I’ve seen this map being compared to the Witcher and some other game on how the map or side quests should be done or something.

How are Rebirth and 16 different? They both are action based rpgs with maps to explore.

I have to compare them because 16 was so bland, I couldn’t believe they didn’t have anything really to do like that.

Now you have this game with a lot to do for the most part. I can tell they really tried to give you things to do while still providing a big map.

I enjoy the map and if I didn’t I’d just skip it and wouldn’t even bad mad if I didn’t like what was on the map. I’d still appreciate that they did try to have a variety of different things while also having many large maps.

I don’t even think people are giving it a pass because of the attachment, they genuinely like the game.

For me it’s just fun.

So, you either have a map like this, a map like 16 with nothing to do, or you get a game with no map and what others call hallways.

What do you think they should have done with the map, make it smaller with less objectives?

I’m really trying to find out what could have been done better with the map in this game.
The attachment is definitely a part of it as a certain poster in here and others on Reddit and Resetera get defensive and any ounce of criticism towards the game even if it's valid.

I would have been fine with a smaller map with less objectives because a lot of it and you'll see what I mean in the later portions of the game are essentially just repeats of each other. That's essentially what the combat simulations are and there's way more of them compared to remake. Also having Chadley interrupt you everytime you complete a world objective wasn't needed at all as well.

It's a good game or else I wouldn't still be playing it, but it's not immune from criticisms.

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The attachment is definitely a part of it as a certain poster in here and others on Reddit and Resetera get defensive and any ounce of criticism towards the game even if it's valid.

I would have been fine with a smaller map with less objectives because a lot of it and you'll see what I mean in the later portions of the game are essentially just repeats of each other. That's essentially what the combat simulations are and there's way more of them compared to remake. Also having Chadley interrupt you everytime you complete a world objective wasn't needed at all as well.

It's a good game or else I wouldn't still be playing it, but it's not immune from criticisms.
You can @ me bruh lol.

The "criticism" is basically your own subjective issue because it's certainly not an issue, nevermind a valid issue at that. How many people you think are having trouble with the game because the map is big and that there's tons of optional content to do? When asked about it you kept making it seem like the game is forcing you to do them and finally you admitted that it's only for completionists which meant that you were exaggerating and trying to make a big deal about something small. Responding to a critique that you don't agree with isn't being defensive.

That's the whole crux of the discussion though, you want it to seem like others who disagree with you are lying about their enjoyment of the game and any one who is really impressed is somehow some dummy who just is a victim of manufactured hype and only those who are critiquing the game the "real" opinions that matter.

I don't mind open world games, I just hate when it's a big and empty world with nothing to do in it. I hated that part of XV. I felt it was boring most of the time though there were a few areas that was nice.

I enjoyed the open world of Assassin's Creed Origins, I liked just going around and looking at various landscapes. Same with Cyberpunk 2077 and recently TOTK to an extent because of the tools you get in the game.

I hated BOTW's open world because I felt like the game's world was incessantly big for no reason other than to be big.

Here, it feels perfectly natural and adapted for modernity as compared to the OG game. I would've been annoyed had they gimped the world map which people were expecting and made it some map selection screen to warp to towns. Can you imagine that, you leave Midgar and you have to go to a map screen and choose Kalm and it warps there and the outer area is barely explorable? Lol.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
You can @ me bruh lol.

The "criticism" is basically your own subjective issue because it's certainly not an issue for others.

That's the whole crux of the discussion, you want it to seem like others who disagree with you are lying and that there's some sort of manufactured enjoyment of the game and that we're really pretending to like the thing you are critiquing.

I don't mind open world games, I just hate when it's a big and empty world with nothing to do in it.

I enjoyed the open world of Assassin's Creed Origins, I liked just going around and looking at various landscapes. Same with Cyberpunk 2077 and recently TOTK to an extent.

I hated BOTW's open world because I felt like the game's world was incessantly big for no reason other than to be big.

Here, it feels perfectly natural and adapted for modernity as compared to the OG game. I would've been annoyed had they gimped the world map which people were expecting and made it some map selection screen to warp to towns.
Other posters in this thread have literally brought up the term “filler” and the same complaints I have, so I’m not the only person that’s mentioned it :yeshrug:

You can choose to look through the thread if you want to do so

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Other posters in this thread have literally brought up the term “filler” and the same complaints I have, so I’m not the only person that’s mentioned it :yeshrug:
Vocal minority. Those who are enjoying it mostly have talked about it and moved on.

Typically on internet forums, those who are not pleased with something, even if moot are often the loudest.

There's a guy on Neogaf in the OT there that is so disappointed with the game, he can't stop arguing with people in the thread bytching about so much stuff. So much that he got banned from the thread because he beat it and still kept trying to make others who aren't agreeing with him seem like they're just some hype beasts who are dumbfounded by nostalgia.

I will not change my stance, most of the so called "filler" is optional stuff that isn't mandatory or impedes someone who wants to just play the story. Then again, even story beats will be arguably seen as "Filler" to some if it doesn't involve immediate climatic sequences like a major fight or story twists. Golden Saucer could be seen as filler to some.

Last edited:

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Vocal minority. Those who are enjoying it mostly have talked about it and moved on.

Typically on internet forums, those who are not pleased with something, even if moot are often the loudest.

There's a guy on Neogaf in the OT there that is so disappointed with the game, he can't stop arguing with people in the thread bytching about so much stuff. So much that he got banned from the thread because he beat it and still kept trying to make others who aren't agreeing with him seem like they're just some hype beasts who are dumbfounded by nostalgia.

I will not change my stance, most of the "filler" is optional stuff that isn't mandatory or impedes someone who wants to just play the story. Then again, even story beats will be arguably seen as "Filler" to some if it doesn't involve immediate climatic sequences like a major fight or story twists. Golden Saucer could be seen as filler to some.
I couldn't care less whether you did or not if I'm being honest.