Official Overwatch Thread

StarClout

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broncos/NYY/NYR/ALA
Any tips for a player just starting out?

I just got the game last week and have a way to go before I can play ranked (I'm only level 8 rn)

What advice could y'all give to someone looking to be a contributor when they get to ranked finally and not a handicap to their team?

I play on PS4 if that helps

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps

I just got the game last week and have a way to go before I can play ranked (I'm only level 8 rn)

What advice could y'all give to someone looking to be a contributor when they get to ranked finally and not a handicap to their team?

basically, realize that the game is about completing the objective, not killing as many people as you can or what have you. Be objective orientated. Pick strong classes that mesh well with your teammates picks. It's all about team composition. Try to stick with your teammates and play off of them. I wouldn't worry too much about letting your teammates down in ranked, because once you play enough games you'll be ranked based on your skill level and your teammates will typically be around that skill level as well. People are super toxic in this game. Just try your best that's all you can do, and the more you play ranked the better you'll get theoretically.

llt23

All Star
Daps

Dont play ranked until you have mad hours under your belt. I remember when I first copped I went into ranked as soon as I hit level 25... Now i never play ranked cause no matter how good I do in placement matches I get thrown in a low rank. Thats how their system works for ranked. It doesnt reset each season, you will always be who you were when you first started competitive mode.

Also just have fun. The game is a salt mine if you try and take it seriously.

CookisaCac

I aint lyrical
Daps
Oh yeah.. @StarClout don't be afraid to switch heroes mid-game to counter your opponents. far too many people, even at higher levels of gameplay become static with their hero choices and refuse to switch when they get countered, it can single handedly lose games even if your team actually outskills them.
That's actually lower level players but cook on

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps

Learn who counters what. Don't be afraid to play a bunch of different characters.

Those two things will help you immensely because this game is all about understanding a situation and countering, so having a large character pool to pick from will help your team out. Plus you learn their weaknesses not only in counter picks, but in when is the best time to try to kill them(for instance, Genji is best focused after he uses deflect, Reaper after Shadowstep, etc.) Don't get caught up in damage/heal/elimination numbers and medals. None of that shyt matters if you aren't winning. If your team isn't able to push a payload or capture an objective, you guys have to address what it is that's stopping you, otherwise you WILL lose. Someone is always gonna have gold damage on your team, so I tend to not give a fukk who has it...unless it's a healer.