Official One Night In Miami Thread

ultraflexed

Superstar
Daps
It's not debated that Ali DESPISED Malcolm once Malcolm left the NOI. So, I can buy if the source of him being mad at Malcolm started when Malcolm purposely MISLED HIM. Ali was on the verge of a LIFE CHANGING MOMENT of his life and it's was all through the mentoring and nurturing of Malcolm, only to find out that Malcolm was using him the whole time. I can see Ali being so heated that he was ready to put paw on him. I mean he IS still a boxer after all.

Spirited but totally false.

The only problem ali had with malcom is when malcom accused Elijah Muhammad of sexual activities with multiple women and getting them pregnant.....had nothing to do with being misled

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I give the movie and 8/10. It was clunky in the beginning but once they all get together and the verbal darts start firing it really good.
But overall I don't like when TV shows, movies etc. take huge liberties with historical figures. This movie could just be regular guys talking about these issues or even regular guys talking about Sam Cooke, Jim Brown, etc. It just obscures them as human beings and adds or subtracts from their life experiences without their permission.

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
strong debut from Regina with this one. I thought she shot this appropriately considering the material (this is essentially a film about 4 guys having a conversation). You don't need to go all out just to show off cinematography when it won't ultimately add to the conversations. Shot with very little fat but I do think the beginning of the film does show lack of experience as more veteran directors could have taken that and done more with it but that's a small complaint.

Acting was strong from all 4 but breh who played Ali has a bright future ahead of for himself. The best scene most will go with is probably a mix of Malcolm/Ali, Malcolm/Sam, maybe even Malcom/Brown conversation, but an underrated gem was Ali/Sam at the store.

Overall, I'd give this a 3.5/5

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol: The lightskin/darkskin conversation was entertaining in that it was pure fantasy fluff and something Regina wanted to throw in of her own volition. Especially when you consider Jim Brown isn't darkskin in real life.

Last edited:

BK360NATL

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was chopping it up with my boys the other day about this movie. Here’s my opinion...

The Sam Cooke story has always been an interesting one. His manager, Allen Klein, allegedly orchestrated his murder and took possession of his company and masters. Sam’s wife was a POS and married Sam’s protege Bobby Womack within a year. They showed up at Bobby’s funeral with Womack wearing Bobby’s clothes. Got his ass whooped out of Chicago that day. The song “I Wish He Wouldn’t Trust Me So Much” is about that.....

This scenario explains why Sam’s family haven’t been able to have his story clearly told. They don’t have any legal rights to his works or company. The Netflix doc may be the closest that we get to the real story, and a lot was left out.

Anyway, this One Night in Miami movie that’s being promoted as Regina King’s directorial debut, is actually produced by Allen Klein’s son, who now owns all of Sam Cooke’s masters and everything. Sam’s family got nothing other than a couple of cars back then. Furthermore, it explains the anti-Nation of Islam slant in the movie, esp with Sam being from Chicago and an active supporter of the group while alive. The producer and his family’s religion wouldn’t have it any other way.

This is a movie that I’ll bootleg only. I will spend my money on American Skin.

Peter Parker

Superstar
Daps
I was chopping it up with my boys the other day about this movie. Here’s my opinion...

The Sam Cooke story has always been an interesting one. His manager, Allen Klein, allegedly orchestrated his murder and took possession of his company and masters. Sam’s wife was a POS and married Sam’s protege Bobby Womack within a year. They showed up at Bobby’s funeral with Womack wearing Bobby’s clothes. Got his ass whooped out of Chicago that day. The song “I Wish He Wouldn’t Trust Me So Much” is about that.....

This scenario explains why Sam’s family haven’t been able to have his story clearly told. They don’t have any legal rights to his works or company. The Netflix doc may be the closest that we get to the real story, and a lot was left out.

Anyway, this One Night in Miami movie that’s being promoted as Regina King’s directorial debut, is actually produced by Allen Klein’s son, who now owns all of Sam Cooke’s masters and everything. Sam’s family got nothing other than a couple of cars back then. Furthermore, it explains the anti-Nation of Islam slant in the movie, esp with Sam being from Chicago and an active supporter of the group while alive. The producer and his family’s religion wouldn’t have it any other way.

This is a movie that I’ll bootleg only.
Damn really? I wanted to watch it but now :francis:

Daps

This is a movie that I’ll bootleg only. I will spend my money on American Skin.

:ohhh: Damn, Bobby Womack showed up to his own funeral wearing his own clothes?