Official One Night In Miami Thread

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
“There is good cinematography; there is bad cinematography, and there is appropriate cinematography. Only the the last one has any importance.”

-Roger Deakins

I always have been convinced that people online actually have no idea what cinematography is and just refer to it as anything that has a “pretty picture.” That is why you see foolishness such as people saying how great the cinematography is for Aquaman or whatever bullshyt. Your post corroborates that, especially your post with that Ali opening
Nah breh. That has been something dissected in critical reviews of this film as well. I didnt say it was BAD. It just was there. It felt like a first time directors film. The lighting and camera movement was just there.

A perfect example is to look at Barry Jenkins films. It involves a lot of people just sitting around talking but there is a level of immersion by the direction and camera work. The boxing scene was flat, the liquor store scene was flat, the concerts were kinda flat. Again it was probably budget/time constraints as well. However, in the hotel room it was clear that was where Regina was most comfortable.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Alright hear me out fellas and open your mind a bit..

"One Night In Miami" - Why wasn't this a comedy? Seriously this should've been "The Hangover" meets "Malcolm X". Flip the script! Us black folks enjoy a good laugh once in a while right? Does everything have to be serious all the time? And I say this because it was damn near set up for this to happen once the fight was over with. Clay was talkin' big shyt, Cooke whipped out the flask, and they all was in the hotel room on some "so what's next" shyt. Those four guys should've had a night on the town with all kinds of mishaps and hijinks happening. Malcolm loosens his tie takes a break from the NOI and Betty, Clay is drunk with his championship belt on talking big shyt in a club, Cooke is doin' lines and spittin at dimes, and Jim Brown is tryin to bend over 2-3 broads at a time in taxi. I wouldn't see it as diminishing who they are, their legacies, and the work they done. Seeing them rip each other to shreds in that hotel room -and really for no reason at all/just to pass time- was excruciating and completely unnecessary. It was good but at the same time wasted potential. Regina should've swung for the fences:yeshrug:

Daps
Loved this flick. Impressive job by all involved.

I don’t take fictionalized historical dramas as documentary pieces so I’m not a stickler for how I *think* it really went down. It was a dope story that was beautifully executed. Some of the complaints in here are head scratching. Name dropping Farrakhan was a bit clunky but they didn’t say anything really bad about him. Of course the NOI would be displayed in a bad light given the timing of the movie, not sure why anyone would’ve expected that to be any different.

Daps

"One Night In Miami" - Why wasn't this a comedy? Seriously this should've been "The Hangover" meets "Malcolm X". Flip the script! Us black folks enjoy a good laugh once in a while right? Does everything have to be serious all the time? And I say this because it was damn near set up for this to happen once the fight was over with. Clay was talkin' big shyt, Cooke whipped out the flask, and they all was in the hotel room on some "so what's next" shyt. Those four guys should've had a night on the town with all kinds of mishaps and hijinks happening. Malcolm loosens his tie takes a break from the NOI and Betty, Clay is drunk with his championship belt on talking big shyt in a club, Cooke is doin' lines and spittin at dimes, and Jim Brown is tryin to bend over 2-3 broads at a time in taxi. I wouldn't see it as diminishing who they are, their legacies, and the work they done. Seeing them rip each other to shreds in that hotel room -and really for no reason at all/just to pass time- was excruciating and completely unnecessary. It was good but at the same time wasted potential. Regina should've swung for the fences:yeshrug:

Breh, I’m dying just thinking how the Coli would react to such blasphemy:mjlol:

humminbird

Veteran
Daps

The fukkery this would bring :wow:

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia

And the poster would be like one of MLK Day weekend party fliers, right?

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I enjoyed it. It was good. Great in most areas while other parts were a bit odd and stuttered a bit. I would've pulled back on the Malcolm X/Betty/NOI moments and personalities a tad to keep it a little more upbeat throughout.

I think it was impossible to because it gave depth to why Malcolm was reacting the way he was later in the movie. It also what put the riff between him and Ali. To pull back from that, I don't think the impact of him telling Ali that he's leaving wouldn't be the same. We have to understand from Malcolm's perspective his internal emotions and conflict. -

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Young cassius held Minister Malcolm tvrry highly. No way he tried it with him in miani. Bullshyt.

It's not debated that Ali DESPISED Malcolm once Malcolm left the NOI. So, I can buy if the source of him being mad at Malcolm started when Malcolm purposely MISLED HIM. Ali was on the verge of a LIFE CHANGING MOMENT of his life and it's was all through the mentoring and nurturing of Malcolm, only to find out that Malcolm was using him the whole time. I can see Ali being so heated that he was ready to put paw on him. I mean he IS still a boxer after all.

WeInHere

All Star
Supporter
Daps
This was a really solid movie. There was some weird camera moments and I thought the dude that played Sam Cooke was very hit or miss at times. The build up of the night matched damn near spot on. Had me thinking like shyt. The night coulda went something like that!