Official One Night In Miami Thread

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This was just average to me, I could not buy any of the actors as the men they were trying to portray.

I don't mind how Malcolm X was portrayed it was interesting to me see another take on the man

No Mention of Martin Luther King at all was strange

Last edited:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
That was the thing to me that kept it from being great. I liked the dialogue between the actors. But It also seemed liked a NOI hit piece.. This night was supposedly a year before Malcolm was killed so I guess Regina and the studios were trying to paint things from Malcolm's perspective I guess but it didn't paint the NOI in a good light at all..

yeah it was cheap as hell. As time goes by this movie was wack. Farrakhan was a lil homie during this time, he had clout in Boston but he was just one of many other ministers.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thought it was okay. Not the biggest fan of movies adapted from stage plays for some reason. Its hard to put it in words....I guess they seem confined if that makes any sense.

The philosophical debate between Malcolm and Sam Cooke was interesting. If Malcolm did influence Cooke to make more conscious songs than I love Malcolm even more because A Change’s gone Come is my favorite song of all time.

The guy playing the minister was good, but nobody will ever eclipse Denzel’s performance. X is a top 3 movie for me and sometimes when I think of Malcolm The Man, it’s Danzel’s character that pops in my mind when I think back on some of the quotes and speeches that we Malcolm is remembered. Like The House nikka vs Field Negro or Chickens Coming Home to Roost quotes. :heh:

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
NBC didn't save the real Sam Cooke Tonight Show where he sings "A Change Is Gonna Come" :stopitslime:
Its the only time he ever performed it live:mjcry:
NPR Cookie Consent and Choices

"It was a complex arrangement with something like 17 strings," Guralnick says. "I think part of him felt, 'I'm not gonna do it if I can't to justice to it.' But the other part was that it had this kind of ominousness about it.

"When he first played it for Bobby Womack, who was his protégé, he said, 'What's it sound like?' And Bobby said, 'It sounds like death.' Sam said, 'Man, that's kind of how it sounds like to me. That's why I'm never going to play it in public.' And Bobby sort of rethought it and said, 'Well, it's not like death, but it sounds kind of spooky.'"

It was more than spooky. Just before the song was to be released as a single in December of 1964, Sam Cooke would be shot to death at a motel in Los Angeles.

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol:Yaw trippin! The guy who played Malcom X killed the role. The only issue I had is that he said he was militant in one of his lines. The real Malcom would never say no shyt like that.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
If you lied to me or misled me causing me to make a major decision that might change the course of my [potentially illustrious] career, I might wanna put hands on you too.

Young cassius held Minister Malcolm tvrry highly. No way he tried it with him in miani. Bullshyt.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
1st act was kinda weak. You can tell the Brit breh was still trying to figure out how to play Malcolm and that Regina King was a first time director. However, the Ali actor carries it enough to keep you invested.

However, once they hit the hotel the actors fukking crush it. Regina King's direction is precise and everything just flows so well.

There's still a part of me that wishes the cinematography wasnt so standard. In one way the standardness does strip away the aura from these men (maybe thats the point). However, I really wish it was shot in a way that highlighted the power for these men.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Now it could be a budget issue. However, again the movie covered stuff we've seen in other movies.

Look how cinematic this is.

More so the Sam Cooke audience stuff

Moments I wish were more riveting instead of kinda tv ish.

However, the hotel/rooftop is so good that it kinda didnt matter. Just saying once they went away from the hotel it kind of pulled me out of the movie.

I see why Leslie Odom Jr./Sam Cooke is one of the favorites for an oscar nom.

Daps
1st act was kinda weak. You can tell the Brit breh was still trying to figure out how to play Malcolm and that Regina King was a first time director. However, the Ali actor carries it enough to keep you invested.

However, once they hit the hotel the actors fukking crush it. Regina King's direction is precise and everything just flows so well.

There's still a part of me that wishes the cinematography wasnt so standard. In one way the standardness does strip away the aura from these men (maybe thats the point). However, I really wish it was shot in a way that highlighted the power for these men.

“There is good cinematography; there is bad cinematography, and there is appropriate cinematography. Only the the last one has any importance.”

-Roger Deakins

I always have been convinced that people online actually have no idea what cinematography is and just refer to it as anything that has a “pretty picture.” That is why you see foolishness such as people saying how great the cinematography is for Aquaman or whatever bullshyt. Your post corroborates that, especially your post with that Ali opening