Official Macbeth Thread

B!tchuoffendingme

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GTA
I always questioned in the back of my mind if Frances Mcdormand was really all that, but seeing her steal the scenes opposite an actor like Denzel with nothing more than Shakespeare dialogue is something else. That woman can ACT.
But the performance that truly blew me away was the Witch and then Corey Hawkins as Macduff. Man that brother can ACT. Not too often you see an American commanding the scene while doing Shakespeare opposite British actors.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Will is actually the clear front runner. He won The Golden Globe, got a SAG Nomination and scored his first BAFTA nomination. These are all seen as precursors for how the Oscars go.
Garfield is the front runner my man:hubie: not saying will won’t win or can’t win but right now it’s Andrew’s to lose

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Garfield is the front runner my man:hubie: not saying will won’t win or can’t win but right now it’s Andrew’s to lose

You’re letting your Spiderman stanning blind you homie.

Will has been the frontrunner since early Fall. Major media outlets like Variety, Goldderby, Deadline, have been predicting him for the Oscar all awards season. Garfield would have to

This is Vanity Fair back in SEPTEMBER

I’ll say it again here: Will Smith is gonna win that Oscar. I know, I know, it’s so early, and the last movie about tennis that premiered at Telluride—Battle of the Sexes—sputtered out as it made its way down from the mountains. But Smith’s performance in King Richard is made of sturdier stock, I think. It’s a thorough, and thoroughly compelling, act of becoming, incorporating humor and pathos in deft calibration. And it’s in service of a story that’s uplifting but ever cognizant of the sobering and timely politics surrounding it

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/09/awards-insider-telluride-wrapup

Gold Derby a few days ago

it’s still the “King Richard” star who leads across the Gold Derby odds among experts and users. Most expect Smith will win his first Best Actor award for playing Richard Williams, father of Serena and Venus Williams, in “King Richard.” It’s the safe bet.

Oscars 2022: Best Actor predictions and the state of the race

Den Of Geek three days ago

It’s a shoo-in to be nominated for Best Picture, but expect King Richard to fare best in the Best Actor race where Smith will likely get an Oscar that is as much a recognition for his whole career as it is an award for this single, and undeniably charming and winsome, performance.

Oscars 2022: Frontrunners and Contenders | Den of Geek

To make it a competition against Will. Garfield would have to

A). Win at SAG (He won’t)

B). Win at BAFTA (He might, but Benedict Cumberbatch has a better chance)

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
You’re letting your Spiderman stanning blind you homie.

Will has been the frontrunner since early Fall. Major media outlets like Variety, Goldderby, Deadline, have been predicting him for the Oscar all awards season. Garfield would have to

This is Vanity Fair back in SEPTEMBER

I’ll say it again here: Will Smith is gonna win that Oscar. I know, I know, it’s so early, and the last movie about tennis that premiered at Telluride—Battle of the Sexes—sputtered out as it made its way down from the mountains. But Smith’s performance in King Richard is made of sturdier stock, I think. It’s a thorough, and thoroughly compelling, act of becoming, incorporating humor and pathos in deft calibration. And it’s in service of a story that’s uplifting but ever cognizant of the sobering and timely politics surrounding it
Will Smith’s Oscar Buzz, Maggie Gyllenhaal’s Big Breakout, and Everything Else to Know About the Telluride Film Festival

Gold Derby a few days ago

it’s still the “King Richard” star who leads across the Gold Derby odds among experts and users. Most expect Smith will win his first Best Actor award for playing Richard Williams, father of Serena and Venus Williams, in “King Richard.” It’s the safe bet.

Oscars 2022: Best Actor predictions and the state of the race

Den Of Geek three days ago

It’s a shoo-in to be nominated for Best Picture, but expect King Richard to fare best in the Best Actor race where Smith will likely get an Oscar that is as much a recognition for his whole career as it is an award for this single, and undeniably charming and winsome, performance.

Oscars 2022: Frontrunners and Contenders | Den of Geek

To make it a competition against Will. Garfield would have to

A). Win at SAG (He won’t)

B). Win at BAFTA (He might, but Benedict Cumberbatch has a better chance)
No I’m not lol. Dude is everywhere right now. You’re quoting stuff from September. Andrew has the momentum. Again doesn’t mean he’ll win. It means because he’s visible as hell right now and Netflix will dump tons of cash in an awards campaign because they’re loaded, and the fact he did a biopic about a beloved figure who passed away AND he’s in one of the biggest movies of all time and a huge talking point of said movie.

Oscars are all about the moment. It’s one of the many issues with the voting system and the awards process in general. But it’s a deciding factor. As of today, January 16, hes gif the momentum. Therefore he’s the front runner.

Like I said, this doesn’t mean he will win. But it’s about who is hot at the time the voters vote. Not who is hot during the fall.
And I wouldn’t assume he won’t win the SAG award. Like I said, momentum and moments. This is what happens when you have actors, writers, and producers vote on stuff. They go off who they just saw or what they just saw.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
No I’m not lol. Dude is everywhere right now. You’re quoting stuff from September. Andrew has the momentum. Again doesn’t mean he’ll win. It means because he’s visible as hell right now and Netflix will dump tons of cash in an awards campaign because they’re loaded, and the fact he did a biopic about a beloved figure who passed away AND he’s in one of the biggest movies of all time and a huge talking point of said movie.

Oscars are all about the moment. It’s one of the many issues with the voting system and the awards process in general. But it’s a deciding factor. As of today, January 16, hes gif the momentum. Therefore he’s the front runner.

Like I said, this doesn’t mean he will win. But it’s about who is hot at the time the voters vote. Not who is hot during the fall.
And I wouldn’t assume he won’t win the SAG award. Like I said, momentum and moments. This is what happens when you have actors, writers, and producers vote on stuff. They go off who they just saw or what they just saw.

I quoted from September all the way UP to three days ago to show that Will Smith has CONSISTENTLY been the frontrunner all awards season. He’s got the momentum, the “its his time” narrative to go along with the critical acclaim. Garfield’s momentum has more to do with him stealing Spiderman out from under Tom Holland’s feet than his performance in Tick Tick Boom.

This is the Macbeth thread so i’m not going to hijack it. But if you can find ONE reputable source that says Garfield is the one clear frontrunner for the Best Actor Oscar i’ll shut up. Just find ONE.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I quoted from September all the way UP to three days ago to show that Will Smith has CONSISTENTLY been the frontrunner all awards season. He’s got the momentum, the “its his time” narrative to go along with the critical acclaim. Garfield’s momentum has more to do with him stealing Spiderman out from under Tom Holland’s feet than his performance in Tick Tick Boom.

This is the Macbeth thread so i’m not going to hijack it. But if you can find ONE reputable source that says Garfield is the one clear frontrunner for the Best Actor Oscar i’ll shut up. Just find ONE.

I found more than one on a quick Google homie. But you’re right we can do this on the DM

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
This is more of a reiteration of the original, whereas Throne of Blood is a reimagining through Noh theatre. It’s why Kurosawa’s work feels a bit more distant and observatory (it’s also easier to follow if you found the dialogue tough to digest in Macbeth.) It’ll feel familiar, but it is quite different in its approach.
in terms of quality how would you say they compare? im a big fan of throne of blood. ive read macbeth and other shakespeare plays so the dialogue wont be a big issue for me

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Saw a while back, the visuals, acting, (esp the set designs and crows at the end) are incredible, I have seen Macbeth on the stage at least a few times, and I like it better there. I saw the Fassbender version in 2015, and I felt the same way.

KnowledgeDropper

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Manhattan
Great movie, obviously Denzel and Frances were amazing but I also really liked Corey Hawkins as Macduff, whoever played Lady Macduff, and the dude who played Ross. You can tell actors put their heart into Shakespeare adaptations, they all wanna show out

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Ya'll should check out Roman Polanski's version of Macbeth from the 70s.

It's a real nasty and brutal film. It was the first film he made after Sharon Tate got murdered so he was in full :demonic: mode

Watching this in high school is what made me realise Shakespeare had bars :banderas:
I think we watched that version in high school now that I think about it.