Official Macbeth Thread

g-ice

aka #DiamondNightmare
Daps
Reppin
Bronx (Marble Hill), NY
the academy has shown they don't care about will
Will doesn't need them but we know this will be another oscarssowhitepart7000 battle when they don't nominate him

Breh he’s getting nominated just watch.

It’s going to be a 3 way race between him, Denzel, and Benedict Cumberbatch.

Watch when they announce the nominations soon.

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
Some of the best cinematography and compositions i've ever seen.

Doing Macbeth as a German expressionist film was a cool choice.

Maybe the best version of The Witches i've seen. Really interesting and creepy. The actress they used was fantastic.

Denzel was dope but Frances was even better IMO.

But I thought Denzel perfectly played Macbeth's descent into murder and madness. Some adaptations of Macbeth the actor goes 0 to 100 which always feel weird. Denzel paced that shyt beautifully. He was so lowkey early that it almost felt he got overshadowed but he was commanding the screen by the end.

Last edited:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
This is putting me to sleep like everything either of them have done post 07

Daps
anyone seen the kurosawa macbeth adaptation, throne of blood? how does this compare to that :jbhmm:
This is more of a reiteration of the original, whereas Throne of Blood is a reimagining through Noh theatre. It’s why Kurosawa’s work feels a bit more distant and observatory (it’s also easier to follow if you found the dialogue tough to digest in Macbeth.) It’ll feel familiar, but it is quite different in its approach.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
Will is actually the clear front runner. He won The Golden Globe, got a SAG Nomination and scored his first BAFTA nomination. These are all seen as precursors for how the Oscars go.
I would love to he proved wrong but the academy has snubbed will too many times
Do you think this is a revenant type situation

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I would love to he proved wrong but the academy has snubbed will too many times
Do you think this is a revenant type situation

I wouldn’t say Will has been “snubbed” all that often. His two big praised dramatic performances (Ali and Pursuit Of Happyness) were nominated. He just ran into huge competition those years. NOBODY was beating Denzel Washington the year he won for Training Day and Forest Whitaker had a “showier” performance in Last King Of Scotland. You could say he was snubbed for Concussion but that movie didn’t really gain a lot of traction.

King Richard on the other hand, is his best dramatic performance since Pursuit Of Happyness and he’s been praised since it came out. The movie itself is very good and has garnered praise for its ensemble. It got strong support at SAG with nominations for Best Picture and Ensemble in addition to Will’s nomination.

Plus with the way things have been going the last two years, its looking like the awards circuit wants to award more feel good, family friendly cinema than the darker, more dramatic stuff. It feels like this is Will’s “time” just like when Leonardo Di’caprio won for The Revenant and Brad Pitt won for Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. The narrative is entirely in Will’s favor.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I remember having to read MacBeth in high school and while I thought it was a good read at the time, I can't remember much of anything from it now since I never read it again or watched any plays/movie adaptions either. I wonder if it'll start coming back to me once I get around to watching this. I think I'll try to get around to watching it this week on AppleTV. Glad to hear from ya'll that it's seems to be well done. The trailer looked interesting enough and I'm always glad to see when Denzel plays non-typical Denzel flicks (basically movies where he's not just playing himself so much).

• Dap
Reactions: hex

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
Ya'll should check out Roman Polanski's version of Macbeth from the 70s.

It's a real nasty and brutal film. It was the first film he made after Sharon Tate got murdered so he was in full :demonic: mode

Watching this in high school is what made me realise Shakespeare had bars :banderas: