Official Judas And The Black Messiah Thread

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
Y'all keep bringing up emotion :russ:y'all really want these oscar baity ass films
U right
We should just feel nonchalant about a 21 yr old Black man trying to fight for civil rights, drugged and murdered in his sleep by the govt.

Should have had 1 of the cops played by Larry David and the Curb Your Enthusiasm music played right after they killed him
And Larry looking at the camera like:ld:
While holding the gun with the :manny: pose

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
It was good but it was missing some true emotion.
It felt real "hollywood" imo.
I know there's a lot to handle when dealing with a subject like this but felt like it coulda had a tad bit more depth to it.
Like when
they had a shootout at the HQ Bill escapes and the other 2 Panthers shoot it out and surrender but nobody ever questioned why Bill aint get jammed or what happened to him? He was suspected once at the beginning and that was it. Now if thats true to history thats one thing but the fact that he was never really suspected was a lil weird to me.

I wish we woulda seen some more internal struggle with Bill when he was alone other than that horrible ass dream.

Wanted to see more Fred in it. His scenes were a little formulaic to me speech-recruit-girl repeat.
Like he talk all the time about feeding the babies but they couldn't shoot a scene around one of those?
And felt the coulda had more direct interaction between Bill and Fred alone. Woulda added something.
But then again idk how much alone time they had in real life

One little thing I liked that may have been lowkey was

Every time he went to meet with the fed he was dressed better than the last time. :ehh:

Acting was good. Kuulya (sp) was good but sometimes he was hard to understand.
Lakieth was good being paranoid all the time but he didn't really make me hate him at the end like it should have been. Don't really think thats his fault and more of the script.

Overall a good movie tho
He was drippin in that steakhouse

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
This is def how I took it. This is more in line with Donnie Brasco and The Departed than Malcolm X

After doing some reading that's what the writers were going for so I guess they were spot on for what they were going for
The pitch he got from the movie's co-writers, Kenny and Keith Lucas, was a movie about Hampton and O'Neal that was like Martin Scorsese's gangster film, The Departed, but set inside the world of COINTELPRO.

Mission249

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Damn, I’m surprised by the lukewarm responses.
Too many people projecting their personal feelings on the movie. They wanted it to be part documentary, part biography of Fred Hampton, part course on Black Panther philosophy, part audience indoctrination.

What they got is a really well put together drama from the perspective of a double agent. Everything doesn't have to be everything. I loved this movie for its perspective. The same way I loved all the Black Panther documentaries and books I've read for their perspectives.

And, frankly, this movie's perspective has a better chance of changing public opinion on the Black Panthers than whatever muddled, messy, fan fiction people imagined before they walked in the theatre.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Very good film. While I don't think it holds back the film per se I did want to know more about who O'Neal and Hampton were as people. Nowhere in this film do we get an idea of O'Neal's life outside of his informant role and while we get glimpses of the personal life of Hampton through his relationship, most of it remains on the surface level too.

As far as the narrative focus goes though it is a well-paced and effective thriller drama, with great performances from both Kaluuya and Stanfield. And due to high dedication and care to its historic time frame it feels authentic as well, which definitely helps set the film apart.
I think Ava/Jenkins were worried about the potential backlash if O'Neal got too much screentime :whoa:

I get the feeling this was the original intention
51rZRebpCBL._SX342_.jpg

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is def how I took it. This is more in line with Donnie Brasco and The Departed than Malcolm X

interesting you mention Malcolm X. I recently read some of the initial reactions to it when it came out and they were way more lukewarm than I thought they’d be. People were complaining about Spike not showing enough of Malcolm’s life, too much Detroit Red stuff and cutting out Malcolm’s family members in favor of a fictional composite character (Baines). Seems like that movie’s reputation grew over time. And like Judas, I think people were so focused on how much history it showed rather than how great the actual filmmaking was

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
U right
We should just feel nonchalant about a 21 yr old Black man trying to fight for civil rights, drugged and murdered in his sleep by the govt.

Should have had 1 of the cops played by Larry David and the Curb Your Enthusiasm music played right after they killed him
And Larry looking at the camera like:ld:
While holding the gun with the :manny: pose

I thought the movie was way more emotional than some of y’all are giving it credit for. It was just done in an understated way

The convo with the Panther’s mom in the kitchen, Fred’s speech after getting out of jail, O’Neal breaking down while giving Fred the drink, Deborah’s reaction to hearing the gunshot and that final shot of the real O’Neal with the text that he killed himself right after were all emotional scenes IMO

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
There’s nothing wrong with the movie but the framing has me fukked up. It’s told from the informant and the FBI’s frame of reference. It’s almost a warning to black viewers of how it always ends.

This should have just been a biography or a documentary.

Kaluuya bodied this. It’s a well done movie. But it’s the wrong movie.

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
I thought the movie was way more emotional than some of y’all are giving it credit for. It was just done in an understated way

The convo with the Panther’s mom in the kitchen, Fred’s speech after getting out of jail, O’Neal breaking down while giving Fred the drink, Deborah’s reaction to hearing the gunshot and that final shot of the real O’Neal with the text that he killed himself right after were all emotional scenes IMO
It was the opposite for me
I felt nothing
And I was ready to be emotional before hand cause I knew the story so well

But I get what you saying

I def don't think it's a bad movie