Official Baywatch Movie Thread 5/26/17 (Trailer Added)

NoMorePie

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Neptune
Not trashing rock, just too lazy to research his movie history lol.

but in the past 10 years or whatever, has the Rock been THE MAN in any movie? Not the 2nd main character, but regarded as THE main character and the main focal point

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Not trashing rock, just too lazy to research his movie history lol.

but in the past 10 years or whatever, has the Rock been THE MAN in any movie? Not the 2nd main character, but regarded as THE main character and the main focal point
San Andreas
Hercules
Snitch
Faster
Tooth Fairy

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm a Rock fan and I haven't seen this movie yet, but going at critics is always a bad look.

Yeah sometimes critics are way off, especially with comedies, but going at them just makes you look insecure as fukk.

You don't see Michael Bay or the people that do those Resident Evil movies going at critics. They play to their fan base and keep it moving. Also more often than not when people start bashing critics for not liking their films and saying they made it for fans, those movies don't do well with fans either.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I'm a Rock fan and I haven't seen this movie yet, but going at critics is always a bad look.

Yeah sometimes critics are way off, especially with comedies, but going at them just makes you look insecure as fukk.

You don't see Michael Bay or the people that do those Resident Evil movies going at critics. They play to their fan base and keep it moving. Also more often than not when people start bashing critics for not liking their films and saying they made it for fans, those movies don't do well with fans either.

Yeah i don't know why this one sticks in his craw. Neither Central Intelligence or San Andreas were critical darlings. It'd be best just not to say shyt and let the box office do what it does or doesn't do.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah i don't know why this one sticks in his craw. Neither Central Intelligence or San Andreas were critical darlings. It'd be best just not to say shyt and let the box office do what it does or doesn't do.

Only thing I can think of is that he was expecting it to get rave reviews. Usually when an actor or director is expecting a movie to get really good reviews and it gets shytted on they fall back on that "We made it for the fans, not stupid critics" stuff.

Prime examples would be Finn Jones going at critics for Iron Fist and claiming it was "made for the fans". Same goes for David Ayer trying to cop pleas for Suicide Squad. Sometimes it's best to just take the L and keep it moving quietly.

Ryan Reynolds was good at this sort of thing. He had some straight up bombs for like 3 straight years and not once did he go at critics.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Only thing I can think of is that he was expecting it to get rave reviews. Usually when an actor or director is expecting a movie to get really good reviews and it gets shytted on they fall back on that "We made it for the fans, not stupid critics" stuff.

Prime examples would be Finn Jones going at critics for Iron Fist and claiming it was "made for the fans". Same goes for David Ayer trying to cop pleas for Suicide Squad. Sometimes it's best to just take the L and keep it moving quietly.

Ryan Reynolds was good at this sort of thing. He had some straight up bombs for like 3 straight years and not once did he go at critics.

Well it's comms 101 but in the day and age of having millions of followers on twitter and instagram, you can create your own message and filter through everything else. If you're a die hard rocky fan on social media, who do you think you'll go with: The Rock or a writer somewhere you've probably never heard of? He's betting his word and his cache means more than any RT score. Looks like he was wrong on that one based on box office but I understand what he was trying to do

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Looks like the budget has been confirmed at $69 million.

So my figure of it needing about ~150 million to break even/start making profit is about right.

I have to wonder how much the reviews did play a part in it "collapsing" from 50 Million tracking to making 18 million.
Even before the reviews that 50 Million seemed odd,because I had seen very little ads for the film. I've been going to the movies once a week for the past like 2-3 months and hadn't seen 1 single baywatch trailer before a film.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
He really does sound like the current president, it's the same egomaniacal, delusional, appeal to lowest common denominator.....The truth is dude makes stupid movies for stupid people, always has. Has always kept it safe, dumb, shallow, he has real talent in comedy, or he did, I remember how great he was on SNL in 2000, but his career has been sloppy, uninspired trash, formulaic and creatively dead. These types of movies are insulting, they pretend to do some meta critique of the genre, but the end result is the same, superficial Hollywood people making movies that reflect their values, and then ranting on twitter about it, like this is what's important to you. As much as I love movies, a lot of the industry, and culture and just economics is just repulsive to me.