Official Baywatch Movie Thread 5/26/17 (Trailer Added)

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
I'm a Rock fan and I haven't seen this movie yet, but going at critics is always a bad look.

Yeah sometimes critics are way off, especially with comedies, but going at them just makes you look insecure as fukk.

You don't see Michael Bay or the people that do those Resident Evil movies going at critics. They play to their fan base and keep it moving. Also more often than not when people start bashing critics for not liking their films and saying they made it for fans, those movies don't do well with fans either.

Yeah i don't know why this one sticks in his craw. Neither Central Intelligence or San Andreas were critical darlings. It'd be best just not to say shyt and let the box office do what it does or doesn't do.

Now I might be completely offbase and dead wrong :hubie:

But from what I'm hearing about this movie, the focus is on the men instead of the women in a Baywatch movie? :jbhmm:

I'm talkin tree branches swinging in the wind? :gucci:

If you subjected yourself to star in a movie with all that going on and the people didn't even like it....wouldn't you be mad too? :isthatafact:

:mjlol:

Ok, I'm gone :loldenzel2:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Saw it last night.

I liked the opening scene with The Rock being the big man on the beach, thought that was a funny and slightly clever gag that they could roll with. But it was just downhil from there until i was begging for the movie to be over for the entire final 20 minutes.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I just saw this thread in TLR: The Rock angry and tweeting at people about his flop film Baywatch.

:russ: I told you doing "Baywatch" movie was stupid.

:patrice: I admit that all the TV spots looked entertaining & funny, so I thought this would end up being a hit seeing it constantly be promoted.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day:salute:

@Zero I heard some of the same just as far as the main demo that came out for it were women as opposed to guys. But I found something interesting in Deadline's report from Monday

Insiders close to both films blame Rotten Tomatoes, with Pirates 5 and Baywatch respectively earning 32% and 19% Rotten. The critic aggregation site increasingly is slowing down the potential business of popcorn movies. Pirates 5 and Baywatch aren’t built for critics but rather general audiences, and once upon a time these types of films — a family adventure and a raunchy R-rated comedy — were critic-proof. Many of those in the industry severely question how Rotten Tomatoes computes the its ratings, and the fact that these scores run on Fandango (which owns RT) is an even bigger problem.

Both Pirates 5 and Baywatch started high on tracking four weeks ago, $90M-$100M over four and $50M over five days respectively, and the minute Rotten Tomatoes hit, those estimates collapsed. Over the weekend, I heard that some studio insiders want to hold off critic screenings until opening day or cancel them all together (that’s pretty ambitious and would cause much ire, we’ll see if that ever happens). Already, studios and agencies are studying RT scores’ impact on advance ticket sales and tracking.

“There’s just not a great date on the calendar to open a poorly reviewed movie,” said one studio marketing vet this morning.

I could see the film industry copying Bethesda's way of doing things although it would lead to a serious backlash amongst the criticism world. But it also goes to what @Prodigal Syndicate and I were talking about over the weekend with regards to reviews and people just diving into them and taking them as Gospel. Now grant it, if you're on the fence about something, a negative review will probably sway you just as much as a positive one will, but at what point do we just start treating every review or a consensus of reviews as the final word on every flick?

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Pirates 5 and Baywatch aren’t built for critics but rather general audiences, and once upon a time these types of films — a family adventure and a raunchy R-rated comedy — were critic-proof

I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. Studios knowing a certain formula was critic proof is why there are so many forgettable and generic versions of "adventure films for the family" and "raunchy comedies". Because perceived quality was low on a list of priorities, all they had to do was throw a star on the poster, approve a script derivative of whatever worked last summer that checks the audience-approved beats, pick a date most conducive to making a profit , and watch the money pile in on a movie nobody will care about a week after seeing it.

I don't think it hurts to add "but is the movie any good?" to a list of things a studio should consider, or for them to pivot to wanting to appeal to a more discerning audience that is bombarded with trailers, reviews, and movie discussions way more than...an audience even from ten years ago. There are several buddy cop style comedies coming out every year between Kevin Hart, Ice Cube, Jonah Hill, and Seth Rogen. Audiences don't have to go see the bad ones. Studios should take note of that.

Unfortunately, I don't think that is a lesson Hollywood actually takes from commercial failures of their films.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. Studios knowing a certain formula was critic proof is why there are so many forgettable and generic versions of "adventure films for the family" and "raunchy comedies". Because perceived quality was low on a list of priorities, all they had to do was throw a star on the poster, approve a script derivative of whatever worked last summer that checks the audience-approved beats, pick a date most conducive to making a profit , and watch the money pile in on a movie nobody will care about a week after seeing it.

I don't think it hurts to add "but is the movie any good?" to a list of things a studio should consider, or for them to pivot to wanting to appeal to a more discerning audience that is bombarded with trailers, reviews, and movie discussions way more than...an audience even from ten years ago. There are several buddy cop style comedies coming out every year between Kevin Hart, Ice Cube, Jonah Hill, and Seth Rogen. Audiences don't have to go see the bad ones. Studios should take note of that.

Unfortunately, I don't think that is a lesson Hollywood actually takes from commercial failures of their films.

But see again that's where you get into objectivity. The article also said they tested that movie three times and it got a 91 each time which matches an audience score of an A- which is pretty damn good. So they're saying if an audience sees it sans criticism from critics then they love it or they're more prone to love it. But the critic score deters audiences from seeing something they may love

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I just saw this thread in TLR: The Rock angry and tweeting at people about his flop film Baywatch.

:russ: I told you doing "Baywatch" movie was stupid.

:patrice: I admit that all the TV spots looked entertaining & funny, so I thought this would end up being a hit seeing it constantly be promoted.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day:salute:

:ohhh: You think this movie becomes a hit or at least makes it money back in the worldwide box office? I forgot this was a popular show internationally.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Hollywood need to stop forcing Zac Efron on us. It's not happening. He isn't Tom Cruise.

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
Story was dumb as fukk but this seemed to be on purpose as they were mocking the tv show several times.

Parts were funny. Fat dude was annoying as fukk and shoehorned in so badly.

Compared to the actual Baywatch show it wasn't that bad.

Pam Anderson :huhldup:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
since the 1080p is out decided to watch

what a horrible movie , that cheap ass looking fire cgi was :scust:

Truefan31

Superstar
Daps
The black woman lifeguard (Stephanie i think) was about the only one hittin on anything, dem white girls w/no ass smh....though the t*ts were nice.

The bad girl was nice too