Official 'Atlanta' Season 3 Thread

Daps
I'm just now catching up, had to go back and rewatch the first 2 seasons, it's been like 3 or 4 years, I totally forgot what happened :why: I didn't even remember that Earn tried to frame Clark County.

Anyway, s3e1 was an incredible interpretation of so many events that have been in the news, from the news coming out about the black town that was flooded in GA, to the young brothas dancing on the desks in school at the excitement of getting free tickets to see Black Panther (1), to the grandfather old-school slapping his grandson in the hallway of school, to the lesbian couple that adopted the black children and forced them to dress like slaves and hug cops and then eventually murdered them (I'm glad Childish Gambino gave them a happy ending in his interpretation :wow::mjcry:).

Donald Glover is one of the greatest comedic, artistic minds of our generation, breh. This guy... he's not afraid to take risks. Nobody would have started their long awaited 3rd season off with something so highly experimental, not knowing how the audience would take it.

I won't lie, it almost lost me for a sec until we got to the boy dancing on the table about Black Panther and I realized what he was doing.

Childish is just an incredible mind, brehs.

Now I'm watching s3e1 (12 minutes into it) and my nikkas done made it. :wow: Earn finally learned the game, Paper Boi only eats the finest of jail foods. My nikkas, let's gooooo:banderas::banderas::banderas::banderas::banderas:

VertigoKnight

Veteran
Daps
I'm saying the poster that said it showed the kids died in the water must have been watching something different. What we all saw was the exact opposite of that.

From reading this thread seems a lot of people are typing on here and half 'watching' at the same time.

Always a recipe for missing details :francis:

When I watch shows like this it's phones and laptop down till it finishes

Daps
S9mkAef.gif

That glow coming from the box always makes me :russ:

Daps
Why you listen when the teachers at school
Know you a young single parent out struggling, they think you a fool
Give your kids bad grades and put 'em in dumber classes
Killing shorty future, I wonder how do we last it?

:francis:

Underground in they casket, ancestors turning
I'm learning something every day, there is no Lazarus
Words like God is Greek or Latin
So if you study Egypt you'll see the truth written by the masses
My nikkas is chilling getting high relaxing :ahh:

Daps
How many folks followed the lesbian couple story in the news to realize the level that the Glover brothers are operating on?

When the news broke about the suicide murders, the police originally said they couldn't find the body of Devonte Hart, the boy who hugged the cop in the photo (that Laquarious was a stand in for).

So for people who knew the details of that case, the episode throws you off by showing you that Laquarious escapes but initially leaving you in the dark about the fate of the other children. Almost like they're making the statement that the rest of the children's bodies were found, but Devante's wasn't, which means he could have escaped.

It's like the show is dangling in this weird place between fiction and possible reality in that few minutes after Laquarious escapes the van. And they leave you in the dark about the fate of the other children until the final moments to show you that in this world, they escaped too. To give the show a happy ending, which I truly appreciated even though those babies didn't have a chance in real life.

At least we can envision a world where they did survive.

Daps
Watching episode 1, I see the show’s penchant for showing black folks as ghetto and ignorant is still alive and well :unimpressed: hopefully it comes together as the episode goes on. What mother would just give her son up like that :comeon:.

When I was growing up, that was a constant threat in my household. My parents believed in whipping our asses with extension cords and they told us we had one time to call CPS on them and all they was gon do was tell them to take us. :mjlol:

They used to always have those CPS commercials on every time cartoons was on and every time I saw one, I'd hit the :lupe:

:mjlol:

So yeah, that storyline hit home for me. I know a lot of black families who felt the same way as my parents when we were growing up.