Official 'Atlanta' Season 3 Thread

Moose_Greyjoy

I DO Not Sow
Daps
I’ve said this since the first season. Black people, as a whole, are mostly shown as ignorant, ghetto, stupid or low class, except for the main characters. Hell just look at the names they give them. Shaniqua, Loquavious (even if it’s a play on loquacious), etc.

This makes sense because Donald Glover, and 3/4 of the main actors spent the majority of their formative and adult years around white people (Lakeith notwithstanding). The show feels like it’s for black people who don’t really know black people, but want to speak for black people. Which is why it’s such a darling of Bourgeois Black Twitter.

It’s not a show that naturally makes you want to look deeper and find meaning; it’s a show that intentionally wants you to feel like you don’t get “it.” And if you’re one of the ones who do get it, then you’re a talented tenth :mjpls:. It’s like they want to be Aaron McGruder but don’t really know how.

It hits you over the head with a hammer every week that says “this is deep! Look for the hidden messages! :damn:

The show has very creative moments and the direction is always good, but it’s just never been for me. I’m glad I read Donald Glover’s latest interview because it gave good insight into why he makes the shows he makes. He’s a white washed black man and he knows it :yeshrug: he’s just trying to navigate through it all.
I have very mixed feelings about this…..but this season definitely gives your take merit.

Moose_Greyjoy

I DO Not Sow
Daps
Ok so I guess my only real beef with this season is I haven’t found the season to be funny at all. The show is giving us great social commentary, but it’s doing it in a un-fun way:yeshrug:, which is ok……..It only bothers me because this show is at its best when it’s funny.

Also I miss the Atlanta setting. There is so much fun/funny shyt that is so Atlanta that the show abandoned

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
Ok so I guess my only real beef with this season is I haven’t found the season to be funny at all. The show is giving us great social commentary, but it’s doing it in a un-fun way:yeshrug:, which is ok……..It only bothers me because this show is at its best when it’s funny.

Also I miss the Atlanta setting. There is so much fun/funny shyt that is so Atlanta that the show abandoned
I would think that the cast will make their way back to ATL by the end of this season or to start season 4.

Blankthawtz

90-9-1 Principle
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Land of fukkery
That’s my worst fear. Black ppl using reparations to buy luxury shyt.

:snoop:

i literally said this outloud when I saw the scene with the brehs talkin....no talks of creatin generational wealth by investing/owning.....sat on my couch gettin mad at that like i was there in the room...:birdman:

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
I’ve said this since the first season. Black people, as a whole, are mostly shown as ignorant, ghetto, stupid or low class, except for the main characters. Hell just look at the names they give them. Shaniqua, Loquavious (even if it’s a play on loquacious), etc.

This makes sense because Donald Glover, and 3/4 of the main actors spent the majority of their formative and adult years around white people (Lakeith notwithstanding). The show feels like it’s for black people who don’t really know black people, but want to speak for black people. Which is why it’s such a darling of Bourgeois Black Twitter.

It’s not a show that naturally makes you want to look deeper and find meaning; it’s a show that intentionally wants you to feel like you don’t get “it.” And if you’re one of the ones who do get it, then you’re a talented tenth :mjpls:. It’s like they want to be Aaron McGruder but don’t really know how.

It hits you over the head with a hammer every week that says “this is deep! Look for the hidden messages! :damn:

The show has very creative moments and the direction is always good, but it’s just never been for me. I’m glad I read Donald Glover’s latest interview because it gave good insight into why he makes the shows he makes. He’s a white washed black man and he knows it :yeshrug: he’s just trying to navigate through it all.

Not even mad at this critique :obama:

So-Chi

Colfax to the burbs'
Daps
Reppin
goons in the cut tryna talk you out yo necklace
Um. It's not like they never done this before in previous seasons because they have. You just expecting some traditional serialized series and Atlanta VERY been that type of show. I get it that 4 years of waiting you may have forgotten but this has ALWAYS been what it is.
Thank you. I think people are so used to every show being so formulaic or even shows with good writing fitting a certain theme don't remember the FUBU episode, the Episode with Paperboi on the talk show with its own commercials... shyt that made this better then normal in the first place.

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
- Austro-Hungarian was a "million years ago"...but Jewish slavery was...when? :patrice:

- "Peruvian" today...white yesterday :francis:

- the only thing you can do is say that you were wrong...and give her as much money as you can :comeon:

- E...we don't deserve this.
Well what do they deserve? :ld:

- We were treating slavery as if it were a mystery buried in the past, something to investigate if we chose to. Now, that history has a monetary value...confession is not absolution.
To them...slavery is not past. I mean, it's not a mystery. It is not an historical curiosity. It is a cruel, unavoidable ghost that haunts in a way that we can't see.
So now you're what, you're separated from your wife? She's taking your kid? Now she has to be raised without a father? She has to build wealth and success from the ground up, right? It's similar to the position we put them in. But we're gonna be okay. Your daughter's gonna be okay. The curse has been lifted from her. All of us...we were running from it, but now we're free.

*BLAOW*

- There's more where that came from. :ehh:

Gus Money

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
My main issue this season is I keep asking myself who is this for? I would assume the messages they’re trying to convey are already understood by most black people (at least for most black people who grew up with other black people). It’s starting to feel like a show made for white/nonblack people who don’t understand black issues or culture. I can’t put my finger on it but it’s too heavy handed or something for me.

I’ll admit I’ve never liked surrealism that much so maybe I’m just not interested in a show that “critiques” society in such an abstract/surreal way (I know the first two seasons had some surrealism but it still felt like a wink and a nod to black people, like we were in on the joke too). I get what they’re trying to say; it just hasn’t been that enjoyable for me so far without the main cast. I’m still gonna watch off the strength of how much I like seeing the crew together but, man.

Also I saw someone mention Glover’s recent interview and apparently he interviewed himself. This is the perfect example of him being weird for the sake of being weird.

Daps
They’re making a lot of enemies across Europe. That'll probably somehow be connected to season 4 with them having their demons chase them back to Atlanta.