Official 'Atlanta' Season 3 Thread

Daps
I’m up in the hospital staying with my wife overnight, she just had a a 5 hour surgery yesterday. I had a white male nurse in here and he checking vitals and putting medicine in her IV. We were watching this and he looked super uncomfortable seeing what was on the tv. It was the scene where the white guy from the boat was explaining slavery. and he came in earlier and she was knocking on his door about the 3 million dollars.

I hope wifey has a speedy recovery, bro

Bob Loblaw

Superstar
Daps
Yeah! That too. But he was barely in them so I couldn't remember him. Its something else and it's bothering me... Him and Anthony Mackie I think. They were like detectives that monitor people's life path and intervene when they go off course and Leo or somebody fell in love with someone he wasn't supposed to.

Somebody please tell me what that movie was :mindblown:
Adjustment bureau

jshani

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Col, GA
van is lowkey beefin w earn

season 1 he was in the storage locker

now he flyin her out to europe talmbout if you need money or a car i got you

and she failed that drug test last season so she feelin a way

didnt nobody kick it w her at the party and they left her

That was all the way back in season 1

IgnorantDwayneWayne

NC Pleighboy
Daps
That’s my worst fear. Black ppl getting reparations and buying luxury shyt

:snoop:
That’s your worst fear?? :mjpls:
Ask yourself did/ would you feel that way if black ppl let let the money stay with the white defendant but make them do something symbolic like the I owned slaves shirt. It’s still nikkas giving all they money back to white ppl. Only one doesn’t have a racist shaming tactic attached.

Ahadi

Veteran
Daps
That’s your worst fear?? :mjpls:
Ask yourself did/ would you feel that way if black ppl let let the money stay with the white defendant but make them do something symbolic like the I owned slaves shirt. It’s still nikkas giving all they money back to white ppl. Only one doesn’t have a racist shaming tactic attached.

No! More so spending it on the wrong shyt. That was written incorrectly.

I want our own schools, businesses, agriculture systems, etc. to thrive first & we circulate our dollar properly.

I just don’t want all the money to go back to them.

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
While it was nice to see white people finally get their due. It feels like they don’t know where they are going with this show and throwing in these episodes without the main cast. It’s like after the last two great episodes we’re back to this dream state. I hate to say it but it feels like filler to an extent. And it’s already only 50 minutes with Hella commercials. Even when on dvr, I feel like I’m fast forwarding a bunch. For an FX show they usually give you more running time. I think this may be the last season. It’s becoming more style than substance. Feels like low hanging fruit just to appease instead of really telling a story.
Gambino has already stated that this season is a “Black Fairy Tale” so we are seeing episodes where black folks are finally getting their comeuppance. I look at it as everything that is going on in the city while Earn and them are in Europe

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
this is clearly what donald always wanted to do. Stories loosely connected to characters, moreso about theming and messaging. Season 4 gonna be even weirder. Its like Louie back in the day. Start off basic edgy comedy then 2 seasons later you're making cerebral stuff. Dave is headed the same way. Its all sneak attack artsy stuff.

I dont know if this the right format for it, but its the only way it gets made.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
For those of you wondering why these “bottle episodes” are taking up so much of the running time and why they are essentially airing back to back with the “main” narrative…

Most television episodes have an “A” story and a “B” story. For example. Season 1 episode 2 “Streets On Lock”. The “A”’story is Earn in prison lockup trying to both survive and wait for someone to bail him out. The “B” story is Paperboi dealing with the trappings of sudden fame and notoriety that the previous episode’s shooting has thrust upon him. Both of these stories run concurrently and reach natural conclusions by episode’s end.

Now what I believe that Donald Glover and the Atlanta team are doing is basically “splitting” the A stories and B stories into full fledged episodes. They’ve already successfully experimented with bottle episodes in the previous two seasons, but aside from Teddy Perkins and perhaps Value, these bottle episodes usually in some way still manage to advance the main plot. Now expanding on the concept of bottle episodes and, instead of making these eps a “special event”, they are now conceptually and thematically woven into the tapestry of the season. The justification for doing this is two fold.

1). The series is called ATLANTA. To have your main cast spend the entirety of the season away from the titular city, there’s GOT to be some kind of connected threads TO that city. These bottle episodes are that connective thread. They are showing you how the black populace of Atlanta are maintaining and reacting to these particular events in the world. Their basically taking the concept of Master Of None’s second season episode “I Love You New York” (in which an ensemble of characters unconnected to the main narrative take center stage in an episode dedicated to the rich cultural diversity of the city) and applying it to the entirety of season 3. If season 3 had a subtitle i’d title it something like “Children Of A Greater City”, because all of these fantastical events are happening RIGHT in the “Black Mecca” and black people are front and center for their own salvation.

2). By describing the season as “A fairy tale for black people” we as African Americans would hardly relate to the fairy tales themselves if they didn’t happen in an AMERICAN setting. Watching Earn and Alfred living it up in Europe is all well and good. But you don’t FEEL it like you feel Loquareeous outsmarting his white adoptive parents and returning home. You don’t FEEL it like you feel the black workers getting their reparations and slowly stop coming to work. You don’t FEEL it like you feel Marshall serving an entire restaurant full of wealthy black people. These are fairy tales that WE can relate to. That WE can feel. That WE can identify as distinctly American. And again all of this takes place in ATLANTA; the series namesake.

So in effect the creative team behind the series is going taking what would normally be “B” plots of any other series and utilizing them to make sure that Atlanta remains in the forefront of the narrative. They are also connecting these episodes into a larger theme of the “fairy tale” aspect by way of the white “soothsayer” whose name is also Earnest.

So basically to sum all of this up, Earn, Alfred, Van, and Darius’s adventures are meant to show the international aspect of what a black fairy tale is and these stand alone episodes are meant to showcase the domestic aspect of that same theme.