Official Art Thread (painters, fine artists, etc Come In)

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Here's some resources for you.

Follow ARC. ARC is an atelier group called Art Renewal Center. ARC features ateliers - art schools that you pay far less for with emphasis in learning from the masters of western art. A lot of them are based off the Italian atelier system. The website features a list of ARC certified schools or ateliers that teach high quality art education. Just go here and plug in USA (or Canada if you're there) and your state and find what local offerings you. If you don't have a local place I will help you find one.

Check it here.

You can get a good art education for a reasonable price.

An alternative is online resources such as Proko, New Master Academy (shout out to Glenn Villpu) but as someone starting out you want critique, preferably in person. Otherwise you will instill bad habits.
I live in South Carolina

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
:beli: Alright I pulled one from the garage to support @Rozay Oro , mind you I was sipping the whole time. Y’all make fun of me, I’m negging all y’all :pacspit: :mjcry:

IMG-9145.jpg

My Statue of Liberty doing the gangsta lean:mjlol:

It’s geometric abstract :mjgrin:
I like it, the reflection in the water 🤌🏽

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
I live in South Carolina
You have options in South Carolina. Unfortunately none of them ARC approved but one of them shows big promise.

No idea where in South Carolina you are. Let's hope you're in Greenville.

Greenville Center for Creative Arts has legit resources. Cheap pricing, free figure drawing classes. They have drawing and painting classes on the cheap cheap. Paid classes should have critique which is what we want.

Charleston has this placed called Redux. It has okay resources but is lacking in classes.

Gibbes Museum has occasional classes. Doesn't look like they're really active right now.

There's a Meetup group. Don't know how good it is.

As you can clearly see, being in the south is a handicap art-wise. You have less access to world class resources. But we should be able to find a way around that. Just have to find a viable way to get critique. I hope you're near Greenville.

Last edited:

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
You have options in South Carolina. Unfortunately none of them ARC approved but one of them shows big promise.

Greenville Center for Creative Arts has legit resources. Cheap pricing, free figure drawing classes. They have drawing and painting classes on the cheap cheap. Paid classes should have critique which is what we want.

Charleston has this placed called Redux. It has okay resources but is lacking in classes.

Gibbes Museum has occasional classes. Doesn't look like they're really active right now.

There's a Meetup group. Don't know how good it is.

As you can clearly see, being in the south is a handicap art-wise. You have less access to world class resources. But we should be able to find a way around that. Just have to find a viable way to get critique. I hope you're near Greenville.
I’m close to Greenville, appreciate it gang

Pseudonym

Secretary of Defense of #catset
Supporter
Daps

:steviej:You think they’ll have naked models?

Daps
Buy a sketch book and a pen. A good one like Microns. Draw in nothing but pen. Learn gesture. Find a local atelier or a joint that does figure classes and critique. Critique is essential.

Why pen? Because pen you cannot erase. It will force you to "see" and make deliberate strokes (pause) in your lining. It forces limitation and the best way to get good at something is force the limiting factor. In this case, the ability to erase. Being limited breeds and forces creativity because you're forced to come up with a solution.

How do I know this? Because I was always "the artist". In 7th grade my friend started using pen and he was so much better than me. Before this no one was better than me in art. We were all obsessed with WCW and Sting as it was the Monday Night Wars and that's what the two of us competed in: drawing wrestlers. He was my first art "rival" although it was unsaid and we were friends through all of it and I copied him by getting a pen and only drawing in it myself. This was when I was 12.

This is me at 15.

EGjVwuL.jpeg

To my memory I drew all of this in pen, with no pencil outline beforehand.

This is a painting I made in college. It's Audrey Hepburn made in acryllic.

Y7ok05t.png

The fundamentals of pen will transfer to painting.

Sketch of my dog years back.

nrIrFTg.jpeg

Leonardo Davinci is quoted as saying something to the effect of,"go out to the marketplaces and draw life."

Pv1v3Qs.jpeg

Digital stuff:

Here's a wine logo I painted. Quality trash because its been stretched over the years.

hjn4EI7.png

From digital sketchbook:

NxjjbSt.png

Anyways I started drawing again and found my way back to my first love. I quit photography and gone back to what I call "the craft". I noticed all of my ideas in photography would be better suited in traditional art. I've got a lot of ideas and things to do before I die and I distinctly believe God put me on this Earth to make art.

Expect the road of being a black artist to be lonely. I took two art classes the entirety of HS (so I was in art class every day for four years) and the sole black student in a school with over 3000 and plenty of other black students. Ten years later, normie blacks are complaining about "representation" when there's a dearth of black artists and you didn't care about black art before. Retards.

This will factor into your figure drawing classes if you choose to pursue them. You'll likely be the sole black person in those classes. Warning, you might deal with passive aggressive cacs if you're even remotely good, but the ones that support you support you for life.
Interesting what you said about the pen. I'm a mathematician. I view it as my art and as a result have a profound respect and fascination with the artistic process. The different ways of evoking and tapping into your creative realms. Anyways, one of my professors told me to only use pen years ago for the same reasons you gave. The parallels of your trajectory in school are the same I have been going through on top of being...:flabbynsick:... my metaphor has always been "a fly in pail of milk" ...:to: