Official Art Thread (painters, fine artists, etc Come In)

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
Interesting what you said about the pen. I'm a mathematician. I view it as my art and as a result have a profound respect and fascination with the artistic process. The different ways of evoking and tapping into your creative realms. Anyways, one of my professors told me to only use pen years ago for the same reasons you gave. The parallels of your trajectory in school are the same I have been going through on top of being...:flabbynsick:... my metaphor has always been "a fly in pail of milk" ...:to:
Yeah, I put effort into learning things the most efficient way possible and what I've learned is that the fastest way to get good at something is by limiting yourself. If you have all the options, you will be obsessed with the illusion of choice. I am grateful I learned the lesson of limitation early as I've applied the same principle to other disciplines.

I'll use Photography as an example. Finding the limiting factor is basically deducing what thing that is tied to what you're trying to improve in that gives infinite possibilities and then limiting those possibilities. So for math it would be not using a calculator and relying on doing math in your head or on paper by hand long-ways (long division;etc). For photography, since it's an art tied to tech, what would be the limiting factor would be deliberately limiting your tech on purpose. In other words, using only one lens for a year or two or three. It will force you to see and force you to master the fundamentals, if you're being active and intentional with your pursuit. I stuck with the 28mm lens deliberately for 3 years in my photography. Here's some of my work.

jxjIQTD.jpeg

laJobCJ.jpeg

iJuz9hl.jpeg

KDUFcAu.jpeg

WBhev7o.jpeg

r5FugSt.jpeg

jvWkXah.jpeg

Notice that there's a lot of gesture in in my pictures. I was lucky I had a traditional art background.

By sticking to one lens and one camera I got to not be obsessed with buying gear (new lenses, new cameras) and with intention I got pretty good, pretty fast to the point where notable names starting taking an interest in me.

A lot of people think having the latest tech and all the options, including the ability to erase, will help them better at art. Ha. No. For this reason I don't suggest anyone trying to get good with traditional art start with digital.

Stick with it. Being the lone black person in an all white environment is lonely but you get used to it, been in that situation since I was a little kid since I was raised in the burbs.

Interesting you're a mathematician. I made a math thread here and getting involved in math as a hobby.

Last edited:
Daps
Yeah, I put effort into learning things the most efficient way possible and what I've learned is that the fastest way to get good at something is by limiting yourself. If you have all the options, you will be obsessed with the illusion of choice. I am grateful I learned the lesson of limitation early as I've applied the same principle to other disciplines.

I'll use Photography as an example. Finding the limiting factor is basically deducing what thing that is tied to what you're trying to improve in that gives infinite possibilities and then limiting those possibilities. So for math it would be not using a calculator and relying on doing math in your head or on paper by hand long-ways (long division;etc). For photography, since it's an art tied to tech, what would be the limiting factor would be deliberately limiting your tech on purpose. In other words, using only one lens for a year or two or three. It will force you to see and force you to master the fundamentals, if you're being active and intentional with your pursuit. I stuck with the 28mm lens deliberately for 3 years in my photography. Here's some of my work.

jxjIQTD.jpeg

laJobCJ.jpeg

iJuz9hl.jpeg

KDUFcAu.jpeg

WBhev7o.jpeg

r5FugSt.jpeg

jvWkXah.jpeg

Notice that there's a lot of gesture in in my pictures. I was lucky I had a traditional art background.

By sticking to one lens and one camera I got to not be obsessed with buying gear (new lenses, new cameras) and with intention I got pretty good, pretty fast to the point where notable names starting taking an interest in me.

A lot of people think having the latest tech and all the options, including the ability to erase, will help them better at art. Ha. No. For this reason I don't suggest anyone trying to get good with traditional art start with digital.

Stick with it. Being the lone black person in an all white environment is lonely but you get used to it, been in that situation since I was a little kid since I was raised in the burbs.

Interesting you're a mathematician. I made a math thread here and getting involved in math as a hobby.
Funny.... different sides of the "spectrum" for our professional skills with an interest on an activity on the other side of it as our hobby (art for me). I personally don't draw, but after I took an art history course a few years ago I've wanted to learn the foundations so I can decipher art works more thoroughly: understsnding why an artist would use this stroke be another, their motivation for the use of this material vs that, and how that ties into whatever feelings or messages they are trying to evoke from their pieces.

"real" math does involve the theme of limiting in so far as the objects you are presented with are all you have to establish a "truth". And it is only within those restricted confines you can work. At these higher levels it does tske creativity, shoot sometimes resesrchers spend years on a problem.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Check out the master Glenn Vilppu. Watch this video for a good introduction to gesture.

This will give you a foundation and something to strive for with your pen and sketchbook. It will also assist you in getting actuated with the paints you've bought.

Taking this into account you can now take your sketchbook out in the world start speed gesture drawing. This will be a good exercise in learning how to see and break down shape.

Do you suggest I just get to doing this before painting? I was gonna paint last night but I got tired

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
Funny.... different sides of the "spectrum" for our professional skills with an interest on an activity on the other side of it as our hobby (art for me). I personally don't draw, but after I took an art history course a few years ago I've wanted to learn the foundations so I can decipher art works more thoroughly: understsnding why an artist would use this stroke be another, their motivation for the use of this material vs that, and how that ties into whatever feelings or messages they are trying to evoke from their pieces.

"real" math does involve the theme of limiting in so far as the objects you are presented with are all you have to establish a "truth". And it is only within those restricted confines you can work. At these higher levels it does tske creativity, shoot sometimes resesrchers spend years on a problem.
Interesting. I did say in the thread that if i didn't have my creative goals I would pursue becoming a mathematician.

Thread here: The Math Thread - Falling in love with math like 2+2=4
God has willed it to happen.

Do you suggest I just get to doing this before painting? I was gonna paint last night but I got tired
I suggest both painting and pen but you can easily do gesture drawings with painting just using a brush and blank paint. That said, the usual order is to learn to draw before you paint. But do what feels best.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
@Rozay Oro also as you can see he’s painting after he’s done with the speed sketch. You can easily sketch in pen and then add paint. So you’re doing both and leveling up both skills.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Interesting. I did say in the thread that if i didn't have my creative goals I would pursue becoming a mathematician.

Thread here: The Math Thread - Falling in love with math like 2+2=4

God has willed it to happen.

I suggest both painting and pen but you can easily do gesture drawings with painting just using a brush and blank paint. That said, the usual order is to learn to draw before you paint. But do what feels best.
I like to draw too (not good) but painters and sculpting is where it’s at.

I don’t have any jesso/gesso to spray my canvas since I’m using cheap target brand acrylics. How can I just spray some water or just buy water colors

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Does an easel or some device exist that you can draw standing up? Maybe something you put on the wall and clip a piece paper on it. My job is at the computer so I don’t want to be sitting down some more.

God Of Art

TheColi's Favorite Artist
Daps
Reppin
Port City Louisiana Cooper Road
Does an easel or some device exist that you can draw standing up? Maybe something you put on the wall and clip a piece paper on it. My job is at the computer so I don’t want to be sitting down some more.
Yes. Google standing drawing support. I seen a contraption on IG ADs where a dude went from easel to standing table.