Official 2024 Oscars Thread

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
I need to see it again. Saw it once in high school and thought it was a trip.
Yeah it's one of those movies I always appreciated. A lot of people don't dig it like that but there are so many layers to that movie and the twist being the beginning which is really the end is just a mind fukk. One of the most original movies ever made.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
@StraxStrax Margot was robbed

I'm not at all upset at the Oscar noms. Margot a nom for Best Picture and Greta for writing. People gotta move on with their lives. This is not Jake Gyllenhaal not a gettting nom for Nightcrawler. She did a good job in a really good movie. In 25 years the things people will remember from Barbie are Ryan Gosling, the writing and the look of the movie.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I'm not at all upset at the Oscar noms. Margot a nom for Best Picture and Greta for writing. People gotta move on with their lives. This is not Jake Gyllenhaal not a gettting nom for Nightcrawler. She did a good job in a really good movie. In 25 years the things people will remember from Barbie are Ryan Gosling, the writing and the look of the movie.

I’n going to play devil’s advocate a bit and say I SLIGHTLY disagree with this take to the context that both Margot Robbie’s performance and Gerwig’s Direction will actually be remembered and celebrated above Gosling and the film’s cinematography 20-25 years from now. History has a way of looking back and rewarding the more subtle aspects of cinema and Margot really anchored that film and to do THAT she needed strong direction from Gerwig. This is the type of film that, despite strong writing, could have still been a disaster if the directors and lead actor weren’t on the same page. For that I feel like both Gerwig and Robbie deserved noms.

However

Black performers and directors have been getting snubbed for YEARS so I find it hard to really care one way or the other. Cord Jefferson should have gotten a Directing nod for American Fiction and Bradley Cooper was similarly snubbed in Director. Whats REALLY going to make people mad is when the film loses most of its above the line nominations. Gosling won’t win Best Supporting Actor, Ferrera won’t win Best Supporting Actress, Oppenheimer is going to crush EVERYTHING except for Adapted Screenplay which will go to American Fiction (i’m also hoping against hope that Sterling K Brown swipes Supporting Actor but the Academy has probably already engraved Downey Jr’s name on the statuette) so Barbie will probably only be left with Best Original Song. The think pieces from white female journalists are going to be BLISTERING the day after lol

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Margot Robbie should get huge props for making the movie happen but Gosling simply stole the show. Everybody, men and women, I talked to when the movie came out said that Gosling was the best thing about the movie. Also think about how crazy the statement "Barbie only got 8 Oscar noms" is. You'd be locked up in a nut house if you said this 2-3 years ago.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Not to get all Katt Williams, but I'm surprised that the usual suspects aren't mad about Colman Domingo and Sterling K. Brown getting nominations for playing gay Black men.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Not to get all Katt Williams, but I'm surprised that the usual suspects aren't mad about Colman Domingo and Sterling K. Brown getting nominations for playing gay Black men.

Colman is openly Gay in real life and Sterling has played gay characters before so its not like either role is a “surprise” to audiences

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Mark Ruffalo gets nominated all the time :mjtf:

The most overrated actor of all-time.
I dont believe in Oscar awards cuz it's just another dumb contest, but he was fukkery in Poor Things. might be my favorite roll he's done. he was such a sad, pathetic loser. I was in a constant state of :mjlol: whenever he was on screen.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego

In our culture of fandoms, hashtags, TikTok sensations, semi-ironic Instagrammable cosplay, embedded anonymous reviews, sponsored endorsements and online grass-roots marketing campaigns, not every critical opinion is a deliberate commentary on the culture or the virtue-signaling of an open letter. Sometimes an opinion isn’t some kind of performance or signifier.

There’s a crucial difference between liking the idea of a movie and liking the movie itself. Just as you could like “Jaws” without wanting to instigate a decades-long paranoia about shark attacks, you can dislike “Barbie” without hating on women. Sometimes a movie is just a movie. And sometimes, alas, not a good one.