Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Allen Robinson on the practice squad as well. Obviously it's another example of Brad Holmes penny pinching but....I don't hate it. Could we have just re-signed Josh Reynolds for 9mil? Sure, but it's obvious they're saving as much cap space as possible for next season when it's time to pay Hutch, Alim, maybe Iffy, etc. I assume we let Barnes and Anzalone walk after the season.

The only criticism I have for Holmes is the development picks. I'm fine with Manu, I think he's gonna be really good; Sorsdal seems fine too. But trading up for Brodric Martin...ehhh. I think he can be good, he def looked way better this preseason. But he starts the season on IR which sets him back again. And given we traded two 5th round picks to trade up for him...imagine if we had let the dice roll and used one of those 5th round picks on a receiver. It's pure hindsight but Puca and Dontayvion Wicks would have been right there...imagine what this WR looks like with either alongside Amon Ra and Jamo. And who knows, maybe Brodric would have still been there available in the 5th round too.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Allen Robinson on the practice squad as well. Obviously it's another example of Brad Holmes penny pinching but....I don't hate it. Could we have just re-signed Josh Reynolds for 9mil? Sure, but it's obvious they're saving as much cap space as possible for next season when it's time to pay Hutch, Alim, maybe Iffy, etc. I assume we let Barnes and Anzalone walk after the season.

The only criticism I have for Holmes is the development picks. I'm fine with Manu, I think he's gonna be really good; Sorsdal seems fine too. But trading up for Brodric Martin...ehhh. I think he can be good, he def looked way better this preseason. But he starts the season on IR which sets him back again. And given we traded two 5th round picks to trade up for him...imagine if we had let the dice roll and used one of those 5th round picks on a receiver. It's pure hindsight but Puca and Dontayvion Wicks would have been right there...imagine what this WR looks like with either alongside Amon Ra and Jamo. And who knows, maybe Brodric would have still been there available in the 5th round too.
My #1 issue is place kicker. This should not still be a question mark after three years, especially since he let Prater walk.

Assuming they're rolling and don't get decimated by injuries. I need to see Holmes be aggressive at the trade deadline and go all-in. Montez Sweat transformed Chicago's defense after they acquired him and all it took was a single second round pick.

I have no idea who might be available at the deadline this year but I don't want to hear that a couple draft picks aren't expendable when this team can win a Super Bowl. That's the fukking goal and end point of this whole operation. I don't care if it's someone they can't afford to re-sign.

They don't have a generational quarterback and that's how teams win multiple Super Bowls. And even then, it's not a guarantee. Nobody thought Rodgers would get just one with Green Bay. Worry about getting one and go from there if they get over the hump.

Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
My #1 issue is place kicker. This should not still be a question mark after three years, especially since he let Prater walk.

Assuming they're rolling and don't get decimated by injuries. I need to see Holmes be aggressive at the trade deadline and go all-in. Montez Sweat transformed Chicago's defense after they acquired him and all it took was a single second round pick.

I have no idea who might be available at the deadline this year but I don't want to hear that a couple draft picks aren't expendable when this team can win a Super Bowl. That's the fukking goal and end point of this whole operation. I don't care if it's someone they can't afford to re-sign.

They don't have a generational quarterback and that's how teams win multiple Super Bowls. And even then, it's not a guarantee. Nobody thought Rodgers would get just one with Green Bay. Worry about getting one and go from there if they get over the hump.

At this point I think it's clear Holmes has a specific view on this issue and isn't budging. He's wheeled and dealed 3rd-7th round picks but has yet to trade a 1st or 2nd. Does our terrible secondary matter last season if we traded for Sweat? No. We would have stomped teams. Maybe that gets us past SF last year, maybe not. All we know for sure is that we'd go into the offseason with far less ammo to address CB, Sweat wouldn't be re-signed, and we would have been talking about trading out of the 1st round to get more picks (so no Terrion Arnold).

Basically that would have been a pure Super Bowl or bust move and we'd be walking into this season with Carlton Davis and someone like Stephon Gilmore as our starting CBs. Ehhh. Would I care about any of that if we had won the Super Bowl with Sweat? Of course not. But that's a huge if, with the consequences being that we likely wouldn't be a contender this season.

Last edited:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
At this point I think it's clear Holmes has a specific view on this issue and isn't budging. He's wheeled and dealed 3rd-7th round picks but has yet to trade a 1st or 2nd. Does our terrible secondary matter last season if we traded for Sweat? No. We would have stomped teams. Maybe that gets us past SF last year, maybe not. All we know for sure is that we'd go into the offseason with far less ammo to address CB, Sweat wouldn't be re-signed, and we would have been talking about trading out of the 1st round to get more picks (so no Terrion Arnold).

Basically that would have been a pure Super Bowl or bust move and we'd be walking into this season with Carlton Davis and someone like Stephen Gilmore as our starting CBs. Ehhh. Would I care about any of that if we had won the Super Bowl with Sweat? Of course not. But that's a huge if, with the consequences being that we likely wouldn't be a contender this season.
I disagree with that line of thinking though. This is the LIONS. One Super Bowl gets every Lions fan alive through their life happy.

Again, I don't care about the future consequences if they can win NOW and this team can. Nothing is promised long term in the NFL without a franchise QB. Two years ago, everybody thought Philly had a potentially dominant run in them. Now, that team looks to be in total disarray. Guys get injured all the time. Win it all now, worry about the rest later.

They SHOULD have beat Santa Clara last year. With Sweat, I 100% believe they would have. The Niners should have beat KC in the Super Bowl. Detroit could have won it last year with Sweat.

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
What am I missing? Cause one of the response tweets said Detroit only has 3 outdoor games this year.

Tampa Bay, Tennessee,Chicago, Seattle, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Green Bay all outdoors.
Those arent all outdoors.

Vs tampa is in Det
Vs tenn is in Det
Vs seattle is in Det
Vs jacksonville is in Det
Vs Bills is in Det.

So yes, they only play 3 outside games all year. Striaght up arena football team :russ:

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
Those arent all outdoors.

Vs tampa is in Det
Vs tenn is in Det
Vs seattle is in Det
Vs jacksonville is in Det
Vs Bills is in Det.

So yes, they only play 3 outside games all year. Striaght up arena football team :russ:
Oh shyt. The place I was looking had the Lions on the bottom so I assumed they were home

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Jonah Jackson is apparently going to make first start at Center too
Kinda wonder if McVay is reaching that Belichick level of arrogance where he starts making petty, dumb decisions that can no longer be hidden by having a Hall Of Fame player to bail him out. The Rams traded their leader and best LB a couple weeks ago for nothing, because he wanted a new contract. McVay got mad with the press when asked about it lol. Now despite drafting a good center last year, they're moving Jonah Jackson there for...some reason. Jonah missed most of training camp while injured, too, and apparently hasn't had many reps at center.

Add in the other guys they'll be missing and I can legit see the Lions blowing these guys out. They're going to be starting a couple undrafted LBs. The middle of the field is gonna be wide open for Amon Ra, LaPorta, and Gibbs. Would love to see Jamo on a crossing route in the middle too.