Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Ugly ass win. Really poor coaching performance from Glenn and Johnson. Game should not have been so close with all the Rams injuries. Way too conservative on offense. Defense never really adjusted to Rams quick throwing offense

Starters completely skipping preseason was a bad idea. Rusty as hell. Goff had not rhythm at all

If Jamo has arrived :whew:

Arnold was too handsy but in good position in coverage atleast. He’ll learn. Like our secondary

Big problem still pass rush. Someone other than Hutch has to show up. Levi and Davenport had sacks but didn’t consistently do anything. Don’t understand why Houston is still in dog house. Cant tell me he cant make more of an impact than Pascal

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Was stunned at how badly this game was handled and I don't think it was mainly player rust. Just some weird, bad coaching and an oddly bad field (I've never seen people slipping at Ford Field like this before). Ben Johnson...what the fukk man. Rams wanted us to run. Their LBs were largely just taking away the middle, light boxes. We let them erase LaPorta and Amon Ra and did nothing to get them involved. How do you not get a screen pass or something for Amon Ra, to get him going or keep him engaged.

JAMO balled. Some great blocking too, including on that last run TD. He blew up somebody and then immediately started talking shyt haha. Love it.

Defense...I will say the d-line got a lot of pressure but only getting two sacks against a band aid o-line is wild. Hutch was great besides a couple mistakes. 4 QB hits, lots of pressure. Davenport played well. Alim and Levi were getting pressure for much of the game. But the inability to get home more just baffles me.

The major defensive issue I had was the secondary struggling with motion. How many times did you see Terrion or someone follow a WR across the formation. The communication was off, seems like some of that shyt needed to be passed off. Also was baffled that when the game started we weren't in press man. Both the Rams tackles were out, Stafford was getting the ball out fast...why didn't we have our guys in the face of Cupp and Puka? Get those zones outta here man.

(Also to be fair btw we gave up 20 points and shut down the red zone multiple times)

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Ugly ass win. Really poor coaching performance from Glenn and Johnson. Game should not have been so close with all the Rams injuries. Way too conservative on offense. Defense never really adjusted to Rams quick throwing offense

Starters completely skipping preseason was a bad idea. Rusty as hell. Goff had not rhythm at all

If Jamo has arrived :whew:

Arnold was too handsy but in good position in coverage atleast. He’ll learn. Like our secondary

Big problem still pass rush. Someone other than Hutch has to show up. Levi and Davenport had sacks but didn’t consistently do anything. Don’t understand why Houston is still in dog house. Cant tell me he cant make more of an impact than Pascal

Was stunned at how badly this game was handled and I don't think it was mainly player rust. Just some weird, bad coaching and an oddly bad field (I've never seen people slipping at Ford Field like this before). Ben Johnson...what the fukk man. Rams wanted us to run. Their LBs were largely just taking away the middle, light boxes. We let them erase LaPorta and Amon Ra and did nothing to get them involved. How do you not get a screen pass or something for Amon Ra, to get him going or keep him engaged.

JAMO balled. Some great blocking too, including on that last run TD. He blew up somebody and then immediately started talking shyt haha. Love it.

Defense...I will say the d-line got a lot of pressure but only getting two sacks against a band aid o-line is wild. Hutch was great besides a couple mistakes. 4 QB hits, lots of pressure. Davenport played well. Alim and Levi were getting pressure for much of the game. But the inability to get home more just baffles me.

The major defensive issue I had was the secondary struggling with motion. How many times did you see Terrion or someone follow a WR across the formation. The communication was off, seems like some of that shyt needed to be passed off. Also was baffled that when the game started we weren't in press man. Both the Rams tackles were out, Stafford was getting the ball out fast...why didn't we have our guys in the face of Cupp and Puka? Get those zones outta here man.

(Also to be fair btw we gave up 20 points and shut down the red zone multiple times)

I would describe what we watched as a coaching performance that could not have been more stubborn. It was like they went into the game with one gameplan, no plan B and no room for deviation.

Defensively...how many out routes and short crosses or guys setting seven yards in the middle of the field did Stafford have to complete before adjusting? How did Cooper Kupp have 14 receptions and 21 targets when it was him and a bunch of guys nobody has ever heard of out there in the second half? He had more targets than Jamo, St. Brown and LaPorta combined.

Offensively...I don't know what else to say about Ben Johnson. He does not like easy days at the office. He does not know how to put teams away and he does not like to utilize all the weapons on this team in the same game. The stats got skewed by that overtime drive when LA was clearly out of gas. In regulation, the Rams ran 74 plays to Detroit's 53. They had 26 first downs to Detroit's 17; 387 yards to Detroit's 283. LA outplayed Detroit in that game and would have won if not for that typical Stafford pick in the endzone.

I won't overreact to game one but these are all the same trends they had last season offensively and defensively.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I would describe what we watched as a coaching performance that could not have been more stubborn. It was like they went into the game with one gameplan, no plan B and no room for deviation.

Defensively...how many out routes and short crosses or guys setting seven yards in the middle of the field did Stafford have to complete before adjusting? How did Cooper Kupp have 14 receptions and 21 targets when it was him and a bunch of guys nobody has ever heard of out there in the second half? He had more targets than Jamo, St. Brown and LaPorta combined.

Offensively...I don't know what else to say about Ben Johnson. He does not like easy days at the office. He does not know how to put teams away and he does not like to utilize all the weapons on this team in the same game. The stats got skewed by that overtime drive when LA was clearly out of gas. In regulation, the Rams ran 74 plays to Detroit's 53. They had 26 first downs to Detroit's 17; 387 yards to Detroit's 283. LA outplayed Detroit in that game and would have won if not for that typical Stafford pick in the endzone.

I won't overreact to game one but these are all the same trends they had last season offensively and defensively.

I just don't understand it. We have so many weapons, it makes no sense that the play calling is constantly one dimensional. I don't mean run plays, that's the bread/butter. But last night we showed two RBs in the backfield a couple times and didn't do anything with it. No screens to Amon Ra, or anything to try to get him going. LaPorta had a really nice play at one point but was largely quiet. That's not on the players...that's play calling. Vaki can nail a wheel route, he was doing it in training camp and the preseason. Gibbs can too. There has to be more to play calling than just run the ball, MOF pass to Amon/LaPorta, deep shot to Jamo. I will give him some grace tho: Ben finally called a crosser for Jamo. He was dominant at Bama running that and it clearly translated to the NFL.

Also...I don't care whether he under performed in training camp. Lions need to put Peoples-Jones out there, or one of the other X receivers on the practice squad. Even if it's just to block and run routes away from the ball. Tom Kennedy should not be starting NFL games.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Free fries at McDonalds today in my area of Michigan on their app because of the Lions INT.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

Jamo gonna eat them alive...

This will be a good test for what @Regular_P been saying and what I'm starting to come around on. I'm sure Tampa has some depth at safety but losing an all-pro is no joke. Should be harder to take the middle of the field away if Johnson is actively focused on getting the ball to our best players. Amon Ra and LaPorta should have opportunities. But most importantly this is a game where your fastest weapons should eat. Specifically Gibbs and Jamo.

Some numbers:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps

Jamo gonna eat them alive...

This will be a good test for what @Regular_P been saying and what I'm starting to come around on. I'm sure Tampa has some depth at safety but losing an all-pro is no joke. Should be harder to take the middle of the field away if Johnson is actively focused on getting the ball to our best players. Amon Ra and LaPorta should have opportunities. But most importantly this is a game where your fastest weapons should eat. Specifically Gibbs and Jamo.

Some numbers:

I thought Hutch looked spectacular last night. Granted, some of it was against a backup tackle but he was consistently in the backfield creating pressure. Which made it more astounding that Glenn never switched up the coverage. Stafford did not have time for long developing routes. He was snapping it and getting it out quickly to the first read (usually Kupp) on out routes or guys setting six yards down field between the hashes. Sit on those routes; play up; shade towards Kupp. It made no sense.

And yeah, Brown was First Team All-Pro last year and LaPorta was Second Team but you wouldn't have known it watching the game last night. They were complete afterthoughts.