Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

Brad got me wanting to run through a brick wall lol. I wouldn't call it a victory lap or "I told you so" moment for the draft but he def feeling himself. Rightfully so.

So much of the negative stuff post-loss boiled down to "well you never know when you'll get back and the Lions are fukked now because everyone else will get better, except for the Lions." But that's not how this shyt works. This organization has the talent, youth, QB, and flexibility to keep this window open.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi

Brad got me wanting to run through a brick wall lol. I wouldn't call it a victory lap or "I told you so" moment for the draft but he def feeling himself. Rightfully so.

So much of the negative stuff post-loss boiled down to "well you never know when you'll get back and the Lions are fukked now because everyone else will get better, except for the Lions." But that's not how this shyt works. This organization has the talent, youth, QB, and flexibility to keep this window open.
I been there as an eagles fan. One year your in the Super Bowl the next your losing 6 of your last 7. You guys are good by not getting your coordinators poached but Dan was right. You have to take advantage when you are there. Guys get hurt. Guys regress. Guys want to get paid now that they helped you get good. Other teams get better. Other teams spend all offseason figuring out how to stop your weapons. Not to say they can’t get back but it’s not a given. If it was the NBA maybe but things change very quickly in the NFL.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I been there as an eagles fan. One year your in the Super Bowl the next your losing 6 of your last 7. You guys are good by not getting your coordinators poached but Dan was right. You have to take advantage when you are there. Guys get hurt. Guys regress. Guys want to get paid now that they helped you get good. Other teams get better. Other teams spend all offseason figuring out how to stop your weapons. Not to say they can’t get back but it’s not a given. If it was the NBA maybe but things change very quickly in the NFL.

The big difference is that this team is objectively in a better position than Philly was, in large part because of the younger roster. You guys lost major FAs last year. You lost a double digit sack guy at DT, you lost your best safety, you lost a starting LB, etc. Those were big losses that turned out to be hard to replace come November and December when things got rough. A lot of really good teams face that dilemma in free agency. The point I've been banging for a couple weeks is that the Lions aren't in that position given that most of our best players are on rookie contracts. We're looking at potentially losing two important players: a (good) starting guard and a (really good) rotational safety. But in a draft that folks are saying is loaded with o-line talent I'm not worried about losing a guard, and would welcome him leaving actually. And in terms of Gardner-Johnson while he's really good, we have two safeties on the roster who are probably better than him at this point.

Injuries are the equalizer and can throw all well made plans in the dirt. But that literally happened to us this season, it's why we only have one NFL caliber CB on the roster (and still made it to the NFC Championship). Forgive me if I don't automatically assume our injury situation will be as dire next season. I feel good about this upcoming season, we've got specific holes that can be addressed with the resources we have. Let's go.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
The big difference is that this team is objectively in a better position than Philly was, in large part because of the younger roster. You guys lost major FAs last year. You lost a double digit sack guy at DT, you lost your best safety, you lost a starting LB, etc. Those were big losses that turned out to be hard to replace come November and December when things got rough. A lot of really good teams face that dilemma in free agency. The point I've been banging for a couple weeks is that the Lions aren't in that position given that most of our best players are on rookie contracts. We're looking at potentially losing two important players: a (good) starting guard and a (really good) rotational safety. But in a draft that folks are saying is loaded with o-line talent I'm not worried about losing a guard, and would welcome him leaving actually. And in terms of Gardner-Johnson while he's really good, we have two safeties on the roster who are probably better than him at this point.

Injuries are the equalizer and can throw all well made plans in the dirt. But that literally happened to us this season, it's why we only have one NFL caliber CB on the roster (and still made it to the NFC Championship). Forgive me if I don't automatically assume our injury situation will be as dire next season. I feel good about this upcoming season, we've got specific holes that can be addressed with the resources we have. Let's go.
I hear you big dog. Just stay humble is all I’m saying. I’m always gonna root for them for the city (that’s also why I was mad they blew it). We’ll see.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
No doubt in my mind the Lions woulda beat the Chiefs. :francis:

Looking at what that secondary did to the Niner receivers, and the interior pressure Chris Jones was forcing...I can't say that.

That being said...that game made me feel even better about this shyt. Losing in the SB usually wrecks a team, and the Niners are more wreckable than many recent losers. No cap space, aging roster, potential question marks at QB, multiple free agents they can't re-sign...I think it's over for them fellas. I genuinely think the NFC is gonna boil down to us, the Packers, and the Rams. Lions have some clear holes that need to be filled, and also need some more depth. All of which is doable with the cap space we have and draft capital. Packers will need to cut guys to get some cap space, btw.

CB1, guard, edge rusher, d-line depth, OT depth, and I wouldn't mind a late round RB to push Craig Reynolds out or make him special teams only.

Phitz

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
427887435_913950837403162_4609216476647079616_n.jpg

MercuryHayes

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Stationed in Antarctica, Coldest Niggga Alive
Havent looked at Mocks but the Jackson Powers is on my short list. This teams success rides on the Oline never falling off and hopefully Brad sees the health of Ragnow and most likely losing Jackson as the right time to add a blue chip lineman. Ragnow missing 2-4 games will cost the lions possibly 1-2 wins.

They definitely need CB and Dend help too. I trust whatever they decide to do though cause it's been earned.

And please do your due diligence on a kicker. KC's kicker was a 7th rounder. you dont have to do what SF did to get moody. Just get it right.

The schedule will be harder so I expect a 10/11 win season at best. The goal remains to win the division (at the least) to get that home game and as we saw last this season, anything can happen during the wildcard to get that extra home game. 1st seed takes care of those issues but it's not something i expect.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Some Lions news and rumors from the combine...

Jameson Williams

Amon Ra contract... (from ESPN)

We already know, via Dave Birkett, that the Lions and St. Brown’s agency were planning on talking at the Combine to discuss a potential extension. It’s a no-brainer to give St. Brown—who has been playing on an extremely affordable fourth-round rookie deal—a significant pay bump. Graziano says the buzz in Indianapolis is that the contract could land somewhere “in the range of $26-28 million per year.”

Given that Tyreek Hill is already making $30 million a year and Justin Jefferson is expected to make north of that, this seems like a reasonable figure for St. Brown, who finished 2023 third in receiving yards, tied for fourth in receiving touchdowns, and tied for second in receptions.

Cornerback pursuit (from ESPN)

We know that the Kansas City Chiefs are thinking about a “tag and trade” scenario for Sneed, which would cost teams not only valuable draft capital but a huge portion of their salary cap for an extension. Given the Lions’ relatively cautious nature in free agency, it would seem that would price Sneed out. However, Fowler believes the Lions could be in play, given their high demand for a cornerback.

“We know the Chiefs are working on a potential tag-and-trade with L’Jarius Sneed, and multiple teams are believed to be in the mix there,” Fowler wrote. “The word out of Indy is that Detroit is pretty set on adding a high-end corner, so the Lions are one to watch. Miami is worth keeping an eye on, too.”

Fowler also mentions Marshon Lattimore and Carlton Davis III as two other cornerbacks who could be on the trade market.

O-line (from ESPN)

“So many teams need them and have targeted the position, and Detroit’s Jonah Jackson, Miami’s Robert Hunt, New England’s Mike Onwenu, and the Los Angeles Rams’ Kevin Dotson are among the top options,” Fowler wrote. “Don’t be surprised if some or all from this group command $16 million or more.”

O-line continued (from Jeff Risdon)

D-line (from Jeff Risdon)

As of the time of writing, we’ve only had one day of on-field drills and athletic testing. The Lions contingency inside Lucas Oil Stadium was fixated on the defensive linemen and EDGE rushers from inside their team suite above the workout field.

Some of the tackles whose workouts and measurements should hold some considerable appeal for the Lions:

Braden Fiske, Florida State

Ruke Orhorhoro, Clemson

Byron Murphy, Texas and Johnny Newton, Illinois — though nobody in Indy thinks either is going to last to No. 29

And the EDGEs, where the team has spent some focus in interviews on the guys typically projected outside the first round:

Marshawn Kneeland, Western Michigan

Chris Braswell, Alabama

Gabriel Murphy, UCLA

Darius Robinson, Missouri

Confirmed list of players the Lions met with (as of two days ago)

Xavier Legette, South Carolina

Malik Washington, Virginia

Luke McCaffrey, Rice

Tez Walker, North Carolina

Ricky Piersall, Florida

Ainias Smith, Texas A&M

Jordan Whittington, Texas

Bub Means, Pittsburgh