Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

Swiggy

The King of Comedy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit, MI
Should've been a blowout. My b-team is utter garbage, and we let them hang around. Great time for a bye week to get our mentals and our chicken right.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
Would have liked to see them go after a de. What we have isn't enough to generate a consistent pass rush against good teams with our front 4. Philly, Seattle and sf all potentially upgraded their defense and the lions basically stuff pat. They better hope some of the defensive players on IR can come back and make a difference.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I don't think the coaches think they need edge rush help. I think they're obsessed with containment schemes and would be perfectly fine with a QB having 10+ seconds to throw as long as the d-line does exactly what they're told to do. Which basically means creating a ring of pressure around the QB. Which works against bad to average QBs like Jimmy G but flops against most good QBs. Failed against Geno, failed against Lamar. We frustrated Mahomes which is the only bright spot.

So my fear is we're gonna keep doing this, rack up wins while losing to good QBs (Chargers, Cowboys) and waltz into the playoffs where we'll blow out someone like Atlanta. Only to get trucked in the second round because nobody can touch Jalen Hurts, or whoever.

Charles Harris had 10 snaps last night. He's gone from starter opposite of Hutch to a minor rotation piece. Apparently the plan is just to try different people at that spot and see what happens. We'll see how it goes but I got a bad feeling lol.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Chase Young to Santa Clara for a third. :beli:
I watched eagles commanders this weekend and he was easy to forget. Maybe a change of scenery will help him but his effort level was low. I knew he wasn’t a Campbell guy. Payne was the guy to go after but he wasn’t available. Also, a third is too much for a guy that needs a contract next year. He can’t just leave but for us to retain him, we’d have to tag him. From what I’ve seen, he’s not worth that. Give me Crosby instead.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
I don't think the coaches think they need edge rush help. I think they're obsessed with containment schemes and would be perfectly fine with a QB having 10+ seconds to throw as long as the d-line does exactly what they're told to do. Which basically means creating a ring of pressure around the QB. Which works against bad to average QBs like Jimmy G but flops against most good QBs. Failed against Geno, failed against Lamar. We frustrated Mahomes which is the only bright spot.

So my fear is we're gonna keep doing this, rack up wins while losing to good QBs (Chargers, Cowboys) and waltz into the playoffs where we'll blow out someone like Atlanta. Only to get trucked in the second round because nobody can touch Jalen Hurts, or whoever.

Charles Harris had 10 snaps last night. He's gone from starter opposite of Hutch to a minor rotation piece. Apparently the plan is just to try different people at that spot and see what happens. We'll see how it goes but I got a bad feeling lol.
Seems that way and I fukking hate that idea. Secondary and scheme ain't nowhere near good enough for that shyt to work. We'll probably find out when the good to great qbs are the ones we see in the playoffs. Seen a pass rush nullify Mahomes in the playoffs, but somehow we don't need one :yeshrug:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
I watched eagles commanders this weekend and he was easy to forget. Maybe a change of scenery will help him but his effort level was low. I knew he wasn’t a Campbell guy. Payne was the guy to go after but he wasn’t available. Also, a third is too much for a guy that needs a contract next year. He can’t just leave but for us to retain him, we’d have to tag him. From what I’ve seen, he’s not worth that. Give me Crosby instead.
I don't disagree but he has more sacks than anybody on the Lions right now. Also, Santa Clara will get a third round comp pick if he signs a long term deal elsewhere in the offseason. Basically a free rental.

I'm annoyed they didn't add a defensive end. They don't get enough pressure against good teams. This isn't good enough for the playoffs.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Hopefully Houston ready to be back soon. They need that speed rusher

Guess I can understand some hesitation trading for pass rusher. Young, Sweat, Hunter, Burns all FAs. Giving up assets for a rental when you could easily sign any of them in offseason

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I don't disagree but he has more sacks than anybody on the Lions right now. Also, Santa Clara will get a third round comp pick if he signs a long term deal elsewhere in the offseason. Basically a free rental.

I'm annoyed they didn't add a defensive end. They don't get enough pressure against good teams. This isn't good enough for the playoffs.
I didn’t think about the comp picks. If it’s that easy, you’re right. He was worth it.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

They won't get a comp pick if they spend money in free agency though.

Sweat has a 10% pass rush win rate and a lot of his sacks boil down to Payne driving guys right into his hands. I'm not saying he's trash but I'm not trading assets for a guy we probably already have on this roster, talent wise. Bring him here, with less interior pass rush, and people would be complaining that he suddenly turned into Romeo Okwara when that's probably who he is regardless. And in my mind the fact that Sweat already sounds like he won't resign with Chicago is a red flag.

I'm willing to trust the process. Last year we were 1-6 going into the bye and everyone thought the Hock trade was us giving up. The second half of that season plus the first half of this season clearly show we're going in the right direction. And given the draft success I'm not mad that we're going into a very deep draft next year with four picks within the top 100. More than enough ammo for Holmes to take his guys as they come or trade up.

Niners have been in a Super Bowl window since 2019, despite questionable QB play for much of that time. The core of this team (o-line, Goff, Hutch, St Brown, Gibbs) are a secure foundation to build on long term. If we keep hitting in the draft while making smart FA signings (Sutton, Gardner-Johnson, Glasgow) I see no reason not to expect to contend over the next few years. That starts with hanging a banner this year (NFC North) and getting to the divisional/second round at the very least. Once you do that who knows what happens. Look at how easy Philly's path to the SB ended up being last year. You never know how shyt will play out.

Last edited:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps

Sweat has a 10% pass rush win rate and a lot of his sacks boil down to Payne driving guys right into his hands. I'm not saying he's trash but I'm not trading assets for a guy we probably already have on this roster, talent wise. Bring him here, with less interior pass rush, and people would be complaining that he suddenly turned into Romeo Okwara when that's probably who he is regardless. And in my mind the fact that Sweat already sounds like he won't resign with Chicago is a red flag.

I'm willing to trust the process. Last year we were 6-1 going into the bye and everyone thought the Hock trade was us giving up. The second half of that season plus the first half of this season clearly show we're going in the right direction. And given the draft success I'm not mad that we're going into a very deep draft next year with four picks within the top 100. More than enough ammo for Holmes to take his guys as they come or trade up.

Niners have been in a Super Bowl window since 2019, despite questionable QB play for much of that time. The core of this team (o-line, Goff, Hutch, St Brown, Gibbs) are a secure foundation to build on long term. If we keep hitting in the draft while making smart FA signings (Sutton, Gardner-Johnson, Glasgow) I see no reason not to expect to contend over the next few years. That starts with hanging a banner this year (NFC North) and getting to the divisional/second round at the very least. Once you do that who knows what happens. Look at how easy Philly's path to the SB ended up being last year. You know know how shyt will play out.
This is all fair but the Lions have a chance to make a run this season. You should always push your chips in because you never know what'll happen to guys next year. Philly and Santa Clara have been making big trades the last two years.

Holmes used their two thirds this season on Hendon Hooker and Broderic Martin. Chase Young went for a third. Would you rather have Young or one of the two guys Detroit drafted? He's hit on a lot of picks but he's also taken Levi and Pascal in the second round, which is what Hunter probably would have cost.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps

I'm willing to trust the process. Last year we were 6-1 going into the bye and everyone thought the Hock trade was us giving up. The second half of that season plus the first half of this season clearly show we're going in the right direction. And given the draft success I'm not mad that we're going into a very deep draft next year with four picks within the top 100. More than enough ammo for Holmes to take his guys as they come or trade up.

Niners have been in a Super Bowl window since 2019, despite questionable QB play for much of that time. The core of this team (o-line, Goff, Hutch, St Brown, Gibbs) are a secure foundation to build on long term. If we keep hitting in the draft while making smart FA signings (Sutton, Gardner-Johnson, Glasgow) I see no reason not to expect to contend over the next few years. That starts with hanging a banner this year (NFC North) and getting to the divisional/second round at the very least. Once you do that who knows what happens. Look at how easy Philly's path to the SB ended up being last year. You know know how shyt will play out.
See it with all of this. I was frustrated with no move at first, but then after chilling on it I also begin to see it this way too. I don't think it was really a wrong way to approach it with either option. And if any of the major players on IR can come back later in the season then that will bring some internal improvement as well. I'm still excited about the rest of this season

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
This is all fair but the Lions have a chance to make a run this season. You should always push your chips in because you never know what'll happen to guys next year. Philly and Santa Clara have been making big trades the last two years.

Holmes used their two thirds this season on Hendon Hooker and Broderic Martin. Chase Young went for a third. Would you rather have Young or one of the two guys Detroit drafted? He's hit on a lot of picks but he's also taken Levi and Pascal in the second round, which is what Hunter probably would have cost.

Fair points as well. I wouldn't call Paschal a miss yet. Levi? Sure. Iffy looked good this year as a backup. Flip side the 2nd/3rd round has also provided:

-Kerby Joseph
-Alim McNeill
-Sam LaPorta
-Brian Branch

Coaches/front office said Martin is a development guy they're molding, and we all knew Hendon wasn't playing this season (although maybe he does if we have the 1-3 seed sown up by week 17). I can't really judge those picks yet. Seems like everything is lining up for Martin to be the starting NT next season if he continues to develop and comes into training camp in great shape. Clearly this staff is losing faith in Buggs (who has looked good all season IMO) and Benito Jones is a free agent next year.

Trade deadline wise I'm more concerned about not getting another CB than going for d-line. We got two starters, Sutton and Jacobs. If either gets injured/misses time we're fuuuucked.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Fair points as well. I wouldn't call Paschal a miss yet. Levi? Sure. Iffy looked good this year as a backup. Flip side the 2nd/3rd round has also provided:

-Kerby Joseph
-Alim McNeill
-Sam LaPorta
-Brian Branch

Coaches/front office said Martin is a development guy they're molding, and we all knew Hendon wasn't playing this season (although maybe he does if we have the 1-3 seed sown up by week 17). I can't really judge those picks yet. Seems like everything is lining up for Martin to be the starting NT next season if he continues to develop and comes into training camp in great shape. Clearly this staff is losing faith in Buggs (who has looked good all season IMO) and Benito Jones is a free agent next year.

Trade deadline wise I'm more concerned about not getting another CB than going for d-line. We got two starters, Sutton and Jacobs. If either gets injured/misses time we're fuuuucked.
You could say the same about the d-line if Hutch gets injured. Then they'll really have nobody on the edge to get pressure on the QB.