Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

A lot of the issues, beyond his drops, are with the lazy way he's tacked onto game plans and I just don't get it. Same with Gibbs to be frank. Video points out we got these elite talents who aren't being utilized, to the point I'm wondering if there's a gap between front office and coaching. Like...even with James Houston who was a 6th round pick but had ELITE skill level. They had that man on third string, forcing him to play coverage LB. And then when he actually got in the game against KC he, surprise surprise, immediately pressured Mahomes and got a QB hit.

Then you look at Josh Paschal, a guy who looks good whenever he gets playing time yet can't get 20 snaps a game because we'd rather trot out Charles Harris. Finally Harris got benched last week and Paschal still doesn't see a snap increase. Granted he was coming off injury but I see no reason to believe he would have gotten more either way. It's like the coaches have prioritized a group of try-hard blue collar guys while constantly putting up barriers for elite talent. Why haven't we given Paschal significant snaps at closed edge alongside Hutch? No one else is getting enough pressure...why can't we try something.

I got a feeling we're gonna blow out the Raiders no matter what we do, player wise, and nothing will change.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps

A lot of the issues, beyond his drops, are with the lazy way he's tacked onto game plans and I just don't get it. Same with Gibbs to be frank. Video points out we got these elite talents who aren't being utilized, to the point I'm wondering if there's a gap between front office and coaching. Like...even with James Houston who was a 6th round pick but had ELITE skill level. They had that man on third string, forcing him to play coverage LB. And then when he actually got in the game against KC he, surprise surprise, immediately pressured Mahomes and got a QB hit.

Then you look at Josh Paschal, a guy who looks good whenever he gets playing time yet can't get 20 snaps a game because we'd rather trot out Charles Harris. Finally Harris got benched last week and Paschal still doesn't see a snap increase. Granted he was coming off injury but I see no reason to believe he would have gotten more either way. It's like the coaches have prioritized a group of try-hard blue collar guys while constantly putting up barriers for elite talent. Why haven't we given Paschal significant snaps at closed edge alongside Hutch? No one else is getting enough pressure...why can't we try something.

I got a feeling we're gonna blow out the Raiders no matter what we do, player wise, and nothing will change.

That dude basically sounds like me and what I've been saying but I've been getting shyt for it in here. They drafted playmakers and instead of doing anything to capitalize on their talents, they're using them like mid-round talents. Seems pretty clear there's a disconnect between the front office and coaches. Holmes is getting the coaches playmakers and it seems they just want meat and potatoes guys.

The team has a really cake schedule the next couple months. They should win the vast majority of the next seven. If they don't start scheming stuff to get Jamo and Gibbs going, you might as well write them off as far as I'm concerned. :yeshrug:

The Raiders are dogshyt. Why not start the game with a reverse to Jamo, a slant, a WR screen, etc. to get him comfortable. Can Gibbs have more than one carry outside the tackles per game? He's being used like Larry Csonka. How bout a screen here and there? Some tosses, stretch plays and off tackle runs?

It's just night and day what Miami is doing with their guys compared to Detroit. That's why I say Ben Johnson isn't that creative. :manny:

Does anyone think Achane would be putting up the same numbers if he was in Detroit?

Gibbs hasn't had that many plays designed to get him in space all season.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
That dude basically sounds like me and what I've been saying but I've been getting shyt for it in here. They drafted playmakers and instead of doing anything to capitalize on their talents, they're using them like mid-round talents. Seems pretty clear there's a disconnect between the front office and coaches. Holmes is getting the coaches playmakers and it seems they just want meat and potatoes guys.

The team has a really cake schedule the next couple months. They should win the vast majority of the next seven. If they don't start scheming stuff to get Jamo and Gibbs going, you might as well write them off as far as I'm concerned. :yeshrug:

The Raiders are dogshyt. Why not start the game with a reverse to Jamo, a slant, a WR screen, etc. to get him comfortable. Can Gibbs have more than one carry outside the tackles per game? He's being used like Larry Csonka. How bout a screen here and there? Some tosses, stretch plays and off tackle runs?

It's just night and day what Miami is doing with their guys compared to Detroit. That's why I say Ben Johnson isn't that creative. :manny:

Does anyone think Achane would be putting up the same numbers if he was in Detroit?

Gibbs hasn't had that many plays designed to get him in space all season.

It took 6 weeks to realize "hey, maybe we should run a toss sweep to Gibbs." And he immediately scored a TD. Meanwhile Achane doing it multiple times a game and it's unstoppable. It's just mind boggling. Even with Jamo they've tried a couple times to get him in space behind blocking but when it doesn't work, he goes out the game for multiple plays. Comes back in for a deep throw or something. I see no real attempt to get him into a rhythm. Granted he is dropping passes, whether they're good or bad passes, so I can't say it's all on the scheme or Goff. But when I watch how Miami gets Tyreek Hill into space and I watch how we utilize Jamo I'm left wondering...what the fukk are we doing. Go watch his Bama tape...we aren't doing much of anything with him. He dropped a slant a few weeks ago and I guess they said "no more slants ever."

I bet he's gonna look a lot better next year when he's on second team training camp with Hendon Hooker throwing him dimes...

Last edited:

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps

Disclaimer: I’m not saying this to you. It’s a reaction to the guy in the video.

Why did this guy use this film for his video? It defeats his point. At around the 6:45 minute mark Jamo comes off a route after the ball is thrown which leads to a pick. He doesn’t get looks because he can’t be trusted. The meat and potatoes guys can. There’s nothing scandalous about that.

A guy who has been unavailable more than anyone else isn’t getting superstar treatment. Especially when he doesn’t do the work. Holmes hinted about this last year. Campbell spelled it out with the hand placement comment. Reporters say he can’t even line up properly. STOP BLAMING EVERYONE ELSE FOR HIS DECISION MAKING!!!!!!!

This team wants its stars to be meat and potatoes guys. Put in the work and be reliable, the coaching staff will draw it up for you. Seriously, look at his route running. He’s open at times but you can’t rely on him to be where you expect him, so he’s not gonna be the first read.

Moving on to Gibbs. To me, his situation is different. He’s being asked to be a RB and a WR. It’s gonna take time for him to get right. Bijan got off to a fast start but cooled off. They’re rookies. Can we lower our expectations? There’s no reason for us to force feed him, we’re winning games without him. I’m hoping Gibbs gets more involved later this season, when it matters. It’s not a sin to treat a young player like they’re inexperienced. It’s also not a sin for fans to be patient. Everyone needs to R E L A X. Relax and enjoy the season 😎

Edited for grammar and clarity

Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

Hope he heals up, heads to the AFC and balls out next year.

Rebuild mode for Vikings now, most likely. They have to draft a QB and won't be bringing Kirk back. Despite today's win it may result in them being open to trading Hunter.

Also...zero excuses for us not to win the NFC North. Packers look terrible, Bears look bad.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Raven look very mediocre against bad Cardinals team. Chiefs lose to Broncos. Any given sunday. 49ers losing 3 in a row. Eagles have best record but haven’t necessarily been that impressive especially compared to last years team. Lions should be favorite to finish with top speed considering their schedule

Just take care of Raiders and get healthy. Division pretty much clinched with Cousins out. Doubt Jefferson even comes back this year

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Raven look very mediocre against bad Cardinals team. Chiefs lose to Broncos. Any given sunday. 49ers losing 3 in a row. Eagles have best record but haven’t necessarily been that impressive especially compared to last years team. Lions should be favorite to finish with top speed considering their schedule

Just take care of Raiders and get healthy. Division pretty much clinched with Cousins out. Doubt Jefferson even comes back this year
Even more reason to make a move before the deadline.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
They can't put the genie back in the bottle after tonight. Gibbs has to be the man even after Monty gets back.

I feel vindicated.