NY Drill Music made it all the way to Italy

Jards

All Star
Daps
no man. completely wrong:snoop::skip:
Prove it. :skip:

The architects of the sound consciously steered the UK drill sound away from the Chicago sound so unless you know better than them I'm gonna have to take their word for it.

The evolving sound of UK drill

MKThePlug:

From there, they began to fold in grime and garage. “If we take it back to 2017, when I co-produced ‘Golden Boot’ for Headie One and ‘Take That Risk’ with M1 for CB: we were using the basslines as a melody, the percussion was getting more complex and layered, and we were changing the pitches of the percussion,” says MKThePlug. “We sliced up the notes and made them roll more. When I listen to my old beats, it was all building to what I’m making now. Everything I’m putting out now is bouncier, more upbeat.”

“If we bring it up to this year,” MKThePlug continues, “the ‘Year of the Real’ and Dutchavelli’s ‘Surely’ beats I produced — that’s where the sound of 2019 came through, with the higher tempos. Even though ‘Year of the Real’ wasn’t a high tempo — it was 143 BPM — that was when we started mixing in the faster percussion from grime and garage.”

Carns Hill:

Even before drill hit the UK, Carns Hill was constructing dark, ominous rap and trap instrumentals for artists like Blade Brown and Youngs Teflon, as well as his own ‘O.T’ series of tapes, that were steeped in melodrama and moody minimalism; something that would guide his experiments with 67. “They were always doing music, releasing videos,” he remembers about 67. “I wanted to create a new sound [that] reflected what they were listening to and how they were spitting. I was watching the video for ‘It’s Frying’ and they were so sick, but they were mostly jumping on Chicago beats. I thought, ‘If they were given their own sound, the sky’s the limit.’”

Hill worked with 67 to put their own stamp on the Chicago sound, slowing the tempo down to 134 BPM (or, when halved, 67 BPM) and digging for unexpected samples to decorate the pitch-black atmospherics. Take the bleak grandeur of 2015’s ‘Skengman’ (created at the height of their conflict with 150, who subsequently appropriated the beat for ‘4 Door Truck’) or, later, the Middle Eastern vocal samples of 2017’s ‘Waps’.

Carns Hill continued:

“A lot of us grew up on grime,” says Hill, “and you can hear it in the drill tunes. For me, Bkay bridges that gap between old school grime and drill with his samples.” Ghosty agrees. “There’s a lot of grime and garage influences now — especially after Bkay did M1llionz’s tune, ‘B1llionz’.” Taking snippets from Mahalia’s 2019 hit ‘Do Not Disturb’ and pitching them up, Bkay created something reminiscent of Channel U-era grime and garage — a tune crying out to be played unreasonably loud from the back of the bus.

Ghosty continued:

In the past 18 months, drill has come full circle, being exported back to the US with a UK flavour. A new wave of Brooklynites, like 22Gz and the late Pop Smoke, have worked with UK drill producers: 808Melo, CZR, AXL Beats, Ghosty and others have flown out Stateside for the assist. For Pop Smoke, drill’s darker elements were tempered with auto tune melodies and a liberal use of orchestral strings.

For artists like 22Gz, whose ‘Suburban’ parts 1 and 2 have propelled him, it was the opposite. “The beats Americans generally want are the same that we’re making out here,” Ghosty tells us. “I knew they wanted to hear the violins and the Pop Smoke type beats, but I pushed the darker sound. 22Gz uses the dark sound, which is why I work so well with him.”

Last edited:

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Prove it. :skip:

The architects of the sound consciously steered the UK drill sound away from the Chicago sound so unless you know better than them I'm gonna have to take their word for it.

The evolving sound of UK drill

MKThePlug:

Carns Hill:

Carns Hill continued:

I’ve seen a lot of comments from people saying, “Oh, Drake made a grime song.” Can you break down what exactly drill is? And how it compares to grime?
Yeah. Grime is a whole different genre compared to drill. There’s some aspects of grime in UK drill, like the 808s, and you’ve got the slides and the fast-tempo snares. That’s kind of interacting with grime. But grime is different than drill. And the drill you’re hearing now, like the one Drake is on, is a mixture between grime and drill. DJ L, we created the sound. Shout out to him, he started off the sound. We took that sound and changed it to something else that’s way cleaner and neat. Something everyone could hop on. That’s the difference.
How Drake Ended Up Rapping on a Drill Beat: An Interview With “War” Producer AXL Beats

People, especially these bloggers and interview people like vlad, act like the UK just Came up with them type of beats and sound outta no where

Obviously there's the grime aspect of uk drill, no shyt, but the template is really songs like these. The only difference is the UK fellas added sliding dub bass (which was and still is popular in grime music) and sped the tempo of their beats slightly.

Jards

All Star
Daps
How Drake Ended Up Rapping on a Drill Beat: An Interview With “War” Producer AXL Beats

People, especially these bloggers and interview people like vlad, act like the UK just Came up with them type of beats and sound outta no where

Obviously there's the grime aspect of uk drill, no shyt, but the template is really songs like these. The only difference is the UK fellas added sliding dub bass (which was and still is popular in grime music) and sped the tempo of their beats slightly.
So then how is what I said completely wrong? You highlighted the below as completely wrong but then gone on to prove my point :mjlol:

This. All the Chicago Drill artists of the early 2010 era were influenced by Gucci, Waka, 1017, Brick Squad, etc.

UK Drill sounds closer to Grime in tempo, beat sequencing, etc. The fact that the BK Drill artists consistently draw for UK producers shows that it's a UK sound.

The quote you posted literally says the UK sound is a mixture of grime and drill. I've just posted quotes from 3 of the producers who are credited with starting and evolving the UK drill sound, saying they were/are influenced by grime. No one is rubbing out the influence of Chicago Drill (it's called Drill) but as said, the producers have consciously moved away from that sound to give the UK version it's own vibe and have used grime influence to do it. If DJ L was an influence for AXL beats so be it, but more of these producers reference the grime influence and these are the producers the BK artists are going to:

In the past 18 months, drill has come full circle, being exported back to the US with a UK flavour. A new wave of Brooklynites, like 22Gz and the late Pop Smoke, have worked with UK drill producers: 808Melo, CZR, AXL Beats, Ghosty and others have flown out Stateside for the assist. For Pop Smoke, drill’s darker elements were tempered with auto tune melodies and a liberal use of orchestral strings.

For artists like 22Gz, whose ‘Suburban’ parts 1 and 2 have propelled him, it was the opposite. “The beats Americans generally want are the same that we’re making out here,” Ghosty tells us. “I knew they wanted to hear the violins and the Pop Smoke type beats, but I pushed the darker sound. 22Gz uses the dark sound, which is why I work so well with him.”

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
No everyone looks like NY.

All the major fashion trends in modern hip-hop is NY derivative that was being done over 10 years ago from Chrome Hearts, to Von Dutch, to BB Simons belts, to Monclers, to grey bottomed World Series patched fitteds. These rappers be having NY based stylists. It was also NY rappers like A-Boogie and Pop Smoke that made Amiri and Dior pop with their consistent product placement.

Funny enough Dipset’s fashion influence is still heavy and with the 00’s nostalgia the late millennial/gen Z crowd is bringing it will only get stronger.

U don’t know what you talking about take that hate out your heart.
Stop...90%+ of modern fashion in younger people is based on Kanye and his deciples.

I have no idea what youre talking about.

Redwing80

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
look around.

I like clothes...and sell them.

Kanye's eye has been the main influence for like 15 years.

From Bape, to Off White...to the return of baggy.
That still doesn't make what you said true. 90% my nikka :russ:

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
That still doesn't make what you said true. 90% my nikka :russ:
im talking about the shyt that matters.

you can have the Robbins jeans, etc...

NOBODY is dressing like NYC.
There isnt even a distinct NYC style.

Please post pics.

like...breh said Von Dutch and fitteds w/ patches? :mjlol:
yall dudes country as hell.

You probably have a Avirex on right now.